The Cult Exploitation Trash B-Movie Thread

Andy

4 hours ago, JWScores said:

No, but on that topic, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "The Humanoid" (1979) so far. It's not just trash, it actually redefines the concept of trash itself. Score by Morricone, of course!

Judge by yourself (I only managed to watch the first 10 minutes or so, then I found it impossible to watch further):

Looks like Star Wars before Lucas' wife re-edited it. Has a Holiday Special flavour. But I also didn't make it past the first ten minutes. 

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yep, it's a cult exploitation trash B-movie, alright :lol:

It's so bad, it's good.

More like, "it's so bad, it's bad"!

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Looks like Star Wars before Lucas' wife re-edited it. Has a Holiday Special flavour. But I also didn't make it past the first ten minutes. 

If you want to experience the concept of trash in a moltitude of different and previously unimagined forms, I suggest to click randomly on the progress bar of the youtube video, and watch whatever you get for as long as you can stand it. I clicked at 35:45, and I wasn't disappointed.

The reason I know about it is that Morricone mentioned in several places that he had written a full 6-part fugue for one track of the score, so I got curious about the movie and searched for it. I did not look for further info, so when I clicked "play" I was almost completely unprepared. I surely wasn't expecting it to be a good movie, but...

Yesss!  Oh Sweet Baby Jesus, I ADORE The Humanoid.  This movie sadly has not had a hi definition release.  It is balls to the wall hilarious.  Dark Helmet from Spaceballs is funny, because it's parody.  The guy with the huge Vader helmet in this is even funnier because it's unintentional.  This one is sort of a hidden gem among so bad it's good films.

Go to 1:13 for one of my favorite sequences.  Behold the wonder of Robo Dog.  Thrill to the martial arts display.  Shudder at the evil of Dark Helmet.  Marvel at the hulking power of Richard Kiehl.

This movie is the best and now I want to watch the whole thing.'

Oh, and...

Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 10.46.45 AM.png

Last night's schlock/cult/trashy 'double feature'. It may come as no surprise that these were watched with alcohol.

Horror Hospital - '73 British horror in which stressed-out rock musician (a pre-'Confessions Of ... ' Robin Askwith) heads to a country retreat ran by scientist Michael Gough which claims to heal your ills. Of course, Gough is mad as a box of frogs and is carrying out sinister experiments on all the young people he has lured to the place. Naturally, there's also a wisecracking dwarf assistant and a car with blades that shoot out of the sides in order to catch up with and decapitate anyone who tries to get away. A loopily hilarious watch.

Silent Rage - a bullet-riddled psychopath is revived via an experimental serum whose healing properties make him virtually indestructible ... so naturally the only man who can stop him is Sheriff Chuck Norris. A curious blend of sci-fi, horror and martial-arts actioner with early parts for Ron Silver and Stephen Furst.

Horror Hospital sounds right up my alley.  I want a car with blades that shoot out the sides.  I can’t believe we all don’t drive them. 

On 27/4/2024 at 10:51 AM, Andy said:

Oh, and...

Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 10.46.45 AM.png

Sydney Sweeney's in it? :)

Quite the pair of planetoids. 

Spotted that Machete Kills was on a movie channel over the weekend and recorded it ... I've never seen it but I do already have Machete on Blu, so that's a rewatch of the first and a first watch of the second double-bill waiting to happen sometime :)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

That Machete double-bill is looking good for this Saturday night, in a kind of 'Eurovision can fuck off' stylee.  

The Eurovision Song Contest actually looks like a Cult Exploitation Trash B-Movie, and among the best ones.

Machete/Machete Kills - Robert Rodriguez's parody of/tribute to grindhouse actioners, which make for a hoot of a double-bill if you're in the right mood (alcohol helps). The craggiest-faced man in the business (Danny Trejo) cuts a swathe through manys a scumbag whilst the eye-candy is in the shape of the likes of Michelle Rodriguez, Jessica Alba and Sofia Vergara.

11 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Michelle Rodriguez, Jessica Alba and Sofia Vergara.

:lovethis: Hmmm you don’t say!?

Emmanuelle (1974)

image.jpeg

I wanted to see what the fuss was all about, and I’m probably one of maybe a dozen people on the planet who enjoyed the Director’s The Perils of Gwendoline

By any standards, this movie is freakin weird. 

I wrongly assumed the point of an erotic film is to turn on your audience with sensuality and somewhat tasteful softcore.  I don’t think this has aged well at all. The character goes on a sexual journey that eventually leads to her being raped and in a threesome before she can shed her innocence and achieve some kind of bulkshit enlightenment.  Yeccch. 

Kind of a downer, but I imagine with the right crowd, you could have a good laugh at it, especially the scene of the nude dancer smoking a cigarette with her lady parts. You can’t make this shit up. 

Oh well. It is photographed really well. 
5/10

i'm surprised said scene made it past the censors. But maybe not ALL types of 'penetration' were off-limits in softcore back then.  

I've never really been interested in erotic dramas and softcore, but they've spawned some AMAZING scores over the years. EMMANUELLE is proof of that. Bachelet's score for the first is drop-dead gorgeous (as is his score for THE STORY OF O in the same period....dig Myers and Zimmer's sequel score too), and Lai's score for the second is equally beautiful. And of course, Gainsbourg's GOODBYE EMMANUELLE has a great cult following.

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

i'm surprised said scene made it past the censors. But maybe not ALL types of 'penetration' were off-limits in softcore back then.  

It was sorta shot from the side and backlit. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I've never really been interested in erotic dramas and softcore, but they've spawned some AMAZING scores over the years. EMMANUELLE is proof of that. Bachelet's score for the first is drop-dead gorgeous (as is his score for THE STORY OF O in the same period....dig Myers and Zimmer's sequel score too), and Lai's score for the second is equally beautiful. And of course, Gainsbourg's GOODBYE EMMANUELLE has a great cult following.

Not a knock on your taste, but the score didn’t really impress me.  It sounded more or less like, well exactly what you’d think… a softcore adult film. But after your recent recommendations I gave a bunch of those scores a try. E1 and E2, Story of O, Donaggio’s Cosi Fan Tutti, and Bilitis. None of them were really for me. Bilitis was close, very New Age like Vangellis. They were all pleasant enough with a few high points.  But I don’t know that I’d want to listen to it again. Emmanuelle’s score seems dominated by a couple source cues, awkward rock music for the “rough” scenes, and the admittedly catchy earworm theme song with vocals. 

That's fine. These days, however, this is SMACK in the middle of the type of music I like to listen to the most (especially if it has LOADS of synth). Give me a hundred smooth erotica scores over one orchestral action score any day of the week.

Recorded cult horror-thriller The Stepfather from Talking Pictures TV a few nights ago ... haven't seen it since its VHS release. And have never seen the sequels or the late Noughties remake, all of which are reportedly inferior to the original anyway.