Iceman (1984) - Bruce Smeaton... Thoughts?

Anyone else remember a beautiful little film from 1984 called "Iceman"? Score by Bruce Smeaton. It's about a Neanderthal man found frozen in ice and revived, spurring conflict between the "he's a science experiment" people and the "he's a person" side (and no, his name isn't Anakin). Excellent performance by John Lone as the title character. 

MV5BZWNkNGRiODctODFlZC00YTNhLWE2YjEtMjIw

The soundtrack had a CD release in 1992 on the Southern Cross label, it's only about 30 minutes of score. Beautiful and yet rather mournful music, with very heartfelt shakuhachi performances by Kazu Matsui. Ethereal and haunting at times. 

I remember ordering the CD at work (Camelot Music) along with an early single-disc "Krull" CD. It was just one of those early-to-mid-80s films HBO would seemingly run constantly. Like "Krull". 

Wondering if anyone else remembers or is familiar with it? 

Sure! I don't own it, but I remember sampling it years ago. I always confused Bruce Smeaton with Bruce Rowland! But in any case -- thanks for the reminder; I'll give it another go.

Ok, this is the third time this week I've heard this movie mentioned for the first time forty years. What gives?

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Ok, this is the third time this week I've heard this movie mentioned for the first time forty years. What gives?

Here’s how it goes. Someone mentions it on the Intrada Facebook group.  (Which somehow has become the hub for Film Music discussion on that platform)

Then either that same person, or another person from that group bumps an old FSM thread.  Which someone here sees and shares.  1,2,3. 

Iceman was a GREAT film that HBO ran just as much as Beastmaster.   I will never forget the score or the titular character’s language. “Beeetahh!  Sayykahhh!!!”  I haven’t seen it in ages, and now I want to again.  Because as a kid I remember all the physically repulsive parts of de-icing a caveman.  But there was a strong vulnerability and oh so human (humane?) thematic element to the film. 

The score is shakuhachi Heaven, but done right, and fitting the film like a glove. And in my world, Bruce Smeaton is a One Hit Wonder.  But here I am  40 years later and I still remember the theme and the colors of the scoring.   And a fine duet of Neil Young’s Heart of Gold by Iceman and Timothy Hutton. 

I’ve added the score and film to my list of things to revisit. It’s odd that this film slipped through the cracks and is wiped from pop culture zeitgeist and 80s retrospectives.  Because it was a gem of a winner. 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

And in my world, Bruce Smeaton is a One Hit Wonder.

In addition to Iceman I have his scores for A Town Like Alice and A Cry in the Dark, both of which are quite good!

I found a playlist on Youtube with some other good stuff if you want to expand your world a bit...

Yavar

52 minutes ago, IheartMelissaBenoist said:

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't go on Facebook, I don't recall any mention of the movie recently. Just going through my soundtrack collection on my phone. :) Such a wonderful score. 

Also I heard it mentioned on YouTube, unrelated to the score. Or maybe it was a podcast. Still...

Just something in the ether, then.  My apologies for the assumption.  So cool that this off the radar film and score is suddenly spontaneously resurfacing.