The Lord of the Rings Symphony - Antwerps Sportpaleis - Antwerp Belgium - April 16 2004

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pity I wasn't at that concert, I'd have beaten Howard Shore to a Canadian pulp if he didn't conduct his 4 hour THE FLY (1986) suite or any other great music he has written for those terrific David Cronenberg movies.

He should have played the SCANNERS suite....all those exploding heads ;):P:angry::devil:

I'd have paid real money to see that! The Lord of the Rings Suites :P what a load of Hogwarts!

Hitch, listening to John Adams (because he can)

Pity I wasn't at that concert, I'd have beaten Howard Shore to a Canadian pulp if he didn't conduct his 4 hour THE FLY (1986) suite or any other great music he has written for those terrific David Cronenberg movies.

He should have played the SCANNERS suite....all those exploding heads ;):P:angry::devil:

I'd have paid real money to see that! The Lord of the Rings Suites :P what a load of Hogwarts!

Hitch, listening to John Adams (because he can)

Here're some pics. They're very dark, and taken from far away. I zoomed in all the way, so this is as close as I could get.

dcp_1588.jpg

- The orchestra tuning

dcp_1591.jpg

- The directors' boot

dcp_1600.jpg

- Howard Shore conducting

Does anyone has a vid cap of the boy solo from the Bridge of dinges?

I guess there were about 10 000 people, the Sportpaleis has a capacity of 16000 people, but that's with a standing center square.

And... was Howard Shore crying or did I imagine that?

dcp_1591.jpg

- The directors' boot

I can't see myself but I was sitting there behind the boot!!! :thumbup:

P.s. I didn't see Shore crying. You must have imagined that.

Did we applaud for that long!?!?! :thumbup: It seemed much shorter to me.

Well, I'll ask a friend of mine who was sitting only 15 metres away from Shore. He must have seen him cry if he did.

Audax - Who still feels the pain in his hands from the applause

hey, why are all the good concerts over frickin' seas.

Howard Shore conducted this concert in Montreal in February. It's not that far from Maine... only a few hours.

It was an amazing concert!

I' ve been there too!! It was really awsom!

We had almost perfect seats, in front at the left side of the podium. We had a great view, we saw all the musicians and of course Howard Shore coming on to the stage from the background.

Unfornately I wasn't able to take some pictures because the batteries of my digital camera were empty!!!!

But that could not keep good mood down. I thought it to be a great concert in which all the great facets of all three movies were exelently put forward in a great mixture between the songs. Especially the singer who sang gollum's song and into the west, Sissel or something like that... What a voice wow... and well the eyes also want something to see so that was also taken care of by this singer...

As far as the audio mixing is concerned. I have to agree that the sound was not quite well mixed. Especially the trumpets were not clear in the beginning they had problems finding each other, but they are forgiven.

After the break I thought the sound mixing to be a lot better than before.

In summary can I say just one thing. A wonderful concert for a wonderful evening!!

Mark - who asks himself if this is the only concert Shore brings in Europe

There will be one or two more performances of the Symphony in London.

But hey man, it sounds like you had great seats. Awesome!

BTW, didn't Sissel also sing on Titanic?

- Marc

Just shortly hook up on that crying thing of Shore.

I must I had perfect places, so I could see extremely what was going on to the stage and for a moment I also thought Howard was crying or at least almost crying!

I'm not that sure, but I could clearly see that he was overwhelmed with emotions.

Mark- who has just found out that Sissel Kyrkjebø is Norwegian and not Belgian as first thought

On 4/17/2004 at 3:25 PM, Stefancos said:

Seems your chins are reverberating an echo in here.

John Adams as a composer?

What's next, George W. Bush will be writing a Concerto for orchestra and choir?

Well he did try and write a speech, it's possible.

Naturally.

If she was from Belgium she would have been called Sisselleke van der Kyrkjebøeke.  ;)

You've got a point there ! LOL

I did only know the name Sissel at that moment

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, once they even had a football match. Err, well play version. ;) Anyway I brought my tickets. :)

• 1 month later...
Ren...how could you miss that?

He'll be in Philly on July 13.

Neil

Just got a flyer in the mail from The Mann Music Center. Howard Shore WILL NOT be conduting the LOTR Suite in Philly. John Mauceri will be though.

Neil