Name the show!

Figo

My program guide listings are due by the end of the week, and I still need to come up with a title for my February 8th installment, which will consist of Williams' concert works. Do any of you have any ideas what I should call it? My titles are usually brief and disgustingly clever, often puns. I welcome any input, but try to avoid triteness, if you can (eg., "Another Side of John Williams," "A Double Life," etc.).

Also, what concert work do you think should be represented? I'm leaning toward the harder-to-find stuff (I mean, for the average listener, not for dyed-in-the-wool Williams fanatics), like the Prelude and Fugue and the Trumpet Concerto. Personally, I think the Tuba Concerto is a great piece, but I don't think the commercial recording does it justice. I'll definitely air the Elegy for Cello and Orchestra at some point during the broadcast day, but perhaps not during this special hour. (Since it is very listener-friendly, I can get away with playing it in the morning).

Thanks to all who participate!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, what concert work do you think should be represented?

I know I'm the only one who's taken with John Williams' "Bassoon Concerto" (hope this doesn't collide with your criteria for pieces to be performed). There's no concert work of his I could possibly love more. Possibly, because the truth is I have never heard the Trumpet concerto, so in my incompleteness Bassoon wins it for me. So, call it what you think fits the best, maybe "Williams' by Roman's request".....

Kidding about the title, but Good Luck, anyway!

:)

Roman.-)

I know I'm the only one who's taken with John Williams' "Bassoon Concerto" (hope this doesn't collide with your criteria for pieces to be performed). There's no concert work of his I could possibly love more.

Roman, the Bassoon Concerto is my all-time favorite concert work as well. :)

Figo, perhaps you could select several compositions with vastly different styles to highlight the multi-faceted nature of his talent, i.e., the "Prelude and Fugue" with it's jazzy sound, one of the more melodic concertos, and one of the lesser known fanfares like "Celebrate Discovery."

For a title, hmmm ... something along the lines of "Close Encounters of a Musical Kind" perhaps?

If you want to be real obscure, you could always play a selection from Thomas and the King :P

~Mari

p.s. It's good to see you back on the board!

Thanks! I HAD thought of some kind of play on "Close Encounters" (and the names of some of the other films as well). Perhaps it's because I grew up in the '70s, but I'm concerned about it having too much of the flavor of the old SNL. I can almost see Lorraine Newman and Garrett Morris gearing up for a "Close Encounter of the [fill-in-the-blank] Kind." Still, if any of the titles beg to be parodied, that would be it. And everything '70s is new again, so...

I do like your idea of varying the music to demonstrate Williams' versatility, and in the end, no matter what anyone here winds up recommending, it's the route I'd most likely take.

Thanks again.

Figo, secretly leaning toward: "John Williams: International Man of Mystery."

P.S. Miguel, I would be more than happy to play the Sinfonietta, but I do not own the LP. And Deutsche Grammophon doesn't seem in a particular hurry to reissue it, despite my request. If you ask me, they missed the boat. It would have been perfect to have released it in anticipation of Williams' 70th birthday, what with impending "Star Wars" and "Harry Potter" films, the Olympics telecast, and a new recording of the Violin Concerto (on their own label, no less!). The classical A&R people really have their heads up their asses.

Just a reminder that I need to have this in by tomorrow afternoon. Your enthusiastic participation so far has been heart-warming. ;) Seriously, thanks to the few of you who bothered to offer suggestions.

If worse comes to worse, I may just lame out and call it "Close Encounters," then elaborate in the program description (something about the concert works being deeply personal utterances, blah blah).

I'll figure it out.

Figo, whose posts very few give two craps about. :cry:

What about something to the extent of "John Williams: Surpassing the Silver Screen," "Transcending Cinema," or "More than Movies"?

Ray Barnsbury-who gives more than two craps :music:

Thanks, Ray.

I'm leaning toward "Close Encounters of the Heard Kind." Your suggestions encapsulate what the program should be about, but mine is a groan-inducing pun, which can then be clarified in the accompanying description. But nothing is firm until I submit my listings -- which probably won't be until mid-afternoon. Any other takers?

I need choose only one highlight to be printed in the guide, and I can fill in the rest when it comes time to actually write the show. I am still torn between the Trumpet and Bassoon Concertos, although I am leaning toward the latter, since it is fairly lyrical and accessible.

Although the Trumpet Concerto is bright and wonderfully performed. It's harder to come by (not available in stores), and getting it out over the air may drum up some extra business for Denouement Records (I'd be sure and mention their website), perhaps encouraging further Williams recordings.

Hmm. What to do, what to do?

Sample program:

Elegy for Cello and Orchestra

Prelude and Fugue

Bassoon Concerto "The Five Sacred Trees"

Call of the Champions

or

?

?

Trumpet Concerto

?

I probably shouldn't exceed 47 minutes of music (or at most 49), if I want a little time to talk. It depends on how many pieces I'll have to introduce, and how much background is required.

I'll poke my schnozz back in, in an hour or two, before I finally e-mail everything off to the program director.

I think you should pick out the most dynamic or interesting movement of each his concertos for a different instrument(flute,violin,trumpet,cello,tuba,bassoon,clarinet,wind) instead of playing a whole one.

K.M.

Figo, whose posts very few give two craps about.  

I give a crap, but of course you come back from the dead, and I am on vacation.

Joe, who gleefully anticipates another post from figo

What we need is a title that reflects that it's Williams more individual concert style. What about "The private side of Williams" or something.