Something Wicked this way comes!

benefactor

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke, Gollum works because he is 100% believable as a character, so those very few moments that the CGI does not look 100% convincing really don't matter.

And to me the shot were Legolas gets on the horse looks perfect, if I did not know it was impossible for a person to climb on a horse that way then i'd say it was really him.

Stefancos- who will see ROTK next wednesday at 20:00.

It works for you, you mean?

The only believable moments about him are when he is not moving through the ground (ie his dual dialogue).

If a movie was done right the first time changes are NOT needed.

To quote Peter Jackson

"I just have a simple philosophy that nothing is ever perfect. There is no perfect cut of the film ? it doesn't exist ... We've shot over 5 million feet of 35mm film on this project, and there are infinite ways you could tell the story. You can generally keep improving the films the longer you can spend on them." - Peter Jackson

Luke, Gollum works because he is 100% believable as a character, so those very few moments that the CGI does not look 100% convincing really don't matter.

Yes, a few small mistakes don't really matter regardless, as the CGI was so high in quality that most of the time he really looked real.

Yes, a few small mistakes don't really matter regardless, as the CGI was so high in quality that most of the time he really looked real.

I think it's time to clean that TV screen of yours. OK, he looked good but to say he looked REAL? Not yet, my friend, not yet.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

To quote Peter Jackson  

"I just have a simple philosophy that nothing is ever perfect. There is no perfect cut of the film — it doesn't exist ... We've shot over 5 million feet of 35mm film on this project, and there are infinite ways you could tell the story. You can generally keep improving the films the longer you can spend on them." - Peter Jackson

I don't think he's actually changing something. He keeps adding footage, sure, but he's not changing history like Lucas.

Hey, on the other hand, I wouldn't mind if Lucas suddenly would say, in 1977 I had to cut 30 minutes of terrifying and scary scenes because kids were having nightmares. I had to do it, it's a family movie. But now I don't mind so much, I'm putting it all back in! You think you've seen Star Wars? Nobody has seen Star Wars!!!!

Bring it on!

-----------------

Alex Cremers

I think it's time to clean that TV screen of yours. OK, he looked good but to say he looked REAL? Not yet, my friend, not yet.

Bah, fuss pot. ;)

I don't think he's actually changing something. He keeps adding footage, sure, but he's not changing history like Lucas.

Well just minor details, the important thing is that Jackson is improving while Lucas is making it worse, but I don't mind him trying, as long as he provides equal access to the original version. Which he isn't. ;)

Yup. No one would make as big a deal out of all of this, if Lucas would just for once pull his head out of his ass, and say: "All right, I'll give you the original versions of the Star Wars trilogy on DVD, and alongside with that, a deluxe Ultimate Director's Cut, that completes the saga of 6 films." If he would just stop denying that he made a great movie 26 years ago and released it the way it was first seen in theatres, or with only the subtitle "Episode IV: A New Hope" added, everything would be fine. If he then makes his DC a deluxe set, I'm sure some SW afficianodos will buy it.

- Marc

To quote Peter Jackson  

"I just have a simple philosophy that nothing is ever perfect. There is no perfect cut of the film ? it doesn't exist ... We've shot over 5 million feet of 35mm film on this project, and there are infinite ways you could tell the story. You can generally keep improving the films the longer you can spend on them." - Peter Jackson

Well, he changed the story from the begining adapting Tolkien's work...

Anyway you said history.. you mean Lucas changes are so important to be put on Books? ;)

Luke, who thinks PJ is a young GL. Just wait 20 years and well see... ;)

Anyway you said history.. you mean Lucas changes are so important to be put on Books?  

Absolutely Luke, him and Spielberg changed popular cinema altogether.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I read the Mythmaker book on George Lucas, although it was unusually biased against lucas, it did reveal how he did change modern cinema, albeit in his early years.

I read the Mythmaker book on George Lucas, although it was unusually biased against lucas, it did reveal how he did change modern cinema, albeit in his early years.

I've only read small portions of that book, but what I read was so filled with factual errors that I was disgusted. I wouldn't trust that book for anything.

Neil

I know, like a fourth of the book is all errors, but I needed a book for a report last year and that interested me.

I've also heard that same author wrote one on Spielberg but I'm a bit wary about that....

To quote Peter Jackson  

Yes but you can also make them worse, by trying to improve stuff that doesn't need to be fixed.

Besides Jackson never really "changed" anything about the LOTR films with the EE's. He just added new scenes onto the original unchanged film. He merely expanded upon the film, he didn't modify what was already there.

He modified the film, and that will affect the film basically as much as changing scenes that already existed. But regardess. Sure you can make them worse, but it's worth it to try and make them better, provided you still give equal access to the original version. :mrgreen:

He modified the film, and that will affect the film basically as much as changing scenes that already existed. But regardess. Sure you can make them worse, but it's worth it to try and make them better, provided you still give equal access to the original version. :cool:

So does that mean you don't have a problem with Lucas' Special Editions!!?!?! :mrgreen:

I still have yet to meet anyone who think Greedo shooting first was for the benefit of the Trilogy.

I don't have a problm with Lucas making special editions, I have a problem with how he choose to make his special editions. :mrgreen:

I still have yet to meet anyone who think Greedo shooting first was for the benefit of the Trilogy.

A lesson in Star Wars for Lucas

Yeah, Solo was a mean baaaddd guy, who only thought of himself. Saving his own butt was all he cared about. Except for himself and the Wookie he had no friends. This is KEY here! He had no human friends. Then he met with this young Skywalker fellow and a princess. They had strong ideals and wanted to save the universe. But Han had to split. No way he was going to risk his life for their stupid goals! But then Han dropped his emotional shield and thought, instead of running I could do something good and help my...friends. And he did. The rest is history.

In the beginning of Star Wars the old Han Solo would definitely have shot Greedo first. Lucas wants to deny the Old Han Solo, like he never existed. He would have to change the whole movie.

----------------

Alex Cremers

In the beginning of Star Wars the old Han Solo would definitely have shot Greedo first. Lucas wants to deny the Old Han Solo, like he never existed. He would have to change the whole movie.  

Yeah he wants to turn Han Solo into some DAMN HIPPY making him wait for that ridiculous Rhodian to shoot first. :mrgreen:

My view on the Star Wars saga.

I don't have kids yet, but when I do, I will show them the Star Wars movies in THIS order:

1. Star Wars: AKA- A New Hope (Original version)

2. Empire Strikes Back (Original version)

3. Return Of The Jedi (Original version)

4. Phantom Menace (Lucas's final version)

5. Attack Of The Clones (Lucas's final version)

6. EPISODE III (Lucas's final version)

7. Star Wars: AKA- A New Hope (Lucas's final version)

8. Empire Strikes Back (Lucas's final version)

9. Return Of The Jedi (Lucas's final version)

THERE! If you ask me, I think that would be splendid... some of you should open your minds ;)

My only complaint is Lucas not releasing the originals. He can make a thousand revisons... just provide the originals as well, you bearded b@$t@rd! LOL

EDIT: I also am in the camp that if you had unfinished or deleted footage, it's ok to add them into a special director's cut. In fact, I LOVE that! However, I am NOT ok with the slicing, dicing, editing, and changing of previously existing material. When you add 2-3 new scenes in and the movie is the same length? That's foolishness! So this is of the few times that I actually agree with Morn (as usually we are at each other's throats with disagreement! :)). Lucas can attempt to improve his vision and I'm all for that because it IS his vision, I just feel he's doing a bad job at it more often than not.

----------------

Alex Cremers

George Lucas grew up. Have you?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Would you care to explain your last remark. It seems to make little sense as it is now. Did you find back the old AI? Good. I was getting bored.

----------------

Alex Cremers

----------------

Alex Cremers

Lucas didn't grow up .........

he grew out! :)