Best SF films?

fommes

Hi!

For a paper I will have to select the best science fiction films (ever).

Which are in your top 10 or 15?

Also, of which interesting SF movies does an interesting book exist? (Not a book that is adapted to the screen, but a 'book from the film'.)

Thanks and greetings!

Lotman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barbarella (My favourite wacky Sci-fi movie.."Matmos...the Key")

Westworld (Michael Crichton's early Jurassic Park style scenario..)

Star Trek II - Wrath of Khan (Moby Dick in space)

Dreamscape (Sci-fi B movie with Dennis Quaid and Max Von Sydnow...Great!)

Brainstorm (Fascinating story, along with Horner's fantastic score)

Dune (1984 version. Not my vision of the novels...But still good nonetheless)

Alien ( 1979. A great blend of horror and sci-fi)

The Terminator (we all know this one)

Robocop (wacky comic strip style fun..and a great score)

Total Recall (again wacky fun with a great score to go with it)

I'll think of some more and post them later :)

Melange - Chose to ommit Star Wars movies, to give others a chance.

Melange - Also does'nt know if to include 2001 or not. As it's semi sci-fi.

2001 is very much a science fiction film. It's more "sci fi" than Star Wars, which doesn't seem to get any of it's science right.

"It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs." Yeah...that makes sense.

But I still prefer Star Wars. :mrgreen:

Neil

Ok. So i made a mistake with the 2001 thing. heheh. I only hesitated putting it up there because i've always considered many parts of it "Science Fact" rather than "Science Fiction". At least many of the things Clarke wrote about (he was born very close to where i live btw) came true and some of what was in the film has been realized. I also consider much of it to be quite mystical and religious in a sense, and not science fiction as such (if you get my meaning). :mrgreen:

Day the Earth Stood Still

ET

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

Planet of the Apes (1968)

Aliens

Terminator

Star Trek II, the Wrath of Khan

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

War of the Worlds

Battlefield Earth (just seeing if anyone actually paid attention)

Contact

Terminator 2

to name a few

(to name the things Joe didn't)

Back to the Future

Superman (hehe)

Minority Report

AI

Total Recall (the premise and score were great, but Verhoeven sucked)

TRON

Flight of the Navigator (hehe)

Bicentennial Man (from an art design perspective--thank you, Norman Reynolds)

Galaxy Quest

Spaceballs

Titan AE

I'd like to say Solaris, but since I haven't seen it, I'm not sure. It looks pretty good, but whenever I've been in the position to possibly see it, I haven't been in the mood for anything but a popcorn movie.

Planet of the Apes (1968)

"You blew it up....aaaahhhh.....Damn you....Damn you all to heeeeeeeellllllllllllll" :mrgreen:

Could of been better though. The novel is certainly far superior to the movie.

I like Arthur C Clarke's brief cameo in the film.

But Roy Schneider was very unlike the original Dr Floyd from 2001.

Contact

I agree. I enjoyed that film. It recieved a lot of unfair battering from viewers (imo).

Total Recall (the premise and score were great, but Verhoeven sucked)

:mrgreen:

Them's fightin' words.

Stefancos- who thinks Paul (Turks Fruit, Soldaat van Oranje, Flesh+Blood, Robocop, Total Recall, Basic Instinct, Starship Troopers) Verhoeven is brilliant.

I forgot to mention the hilariously funny "Darkstar" (1974)

Twas the blueprint of what would become "Alien" later on.

Me and a friend used to watch it a lot when teenagers. Nice film.

Melange - Used to have it on grainy VHS. But i think i lost it.

http://spazioinwind.libero.it/thedarkstar/dsmovie.html

http://spazioinwind.libero.it/thedarkstar/.../moviepics.html

I forgot to mention the hilariously funny "Darkstar" (1974)  

Twas the blueprint of what would become "Alien" later on.

Damn, Melange, you're a true connaisseur! The beach bal scene is indeed a forerunner of what is to become Alien. The scene is brilliant. It displays the power of good cinema like I haven't seen anywhere else yet.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

The beach ball scene

Hehe. Yes, a funny scene (but an oddly creepy one aswell ).

My friend and i used to love how the ship suddenly "stopped" like it does.

And the "layabout" characters probably influenced "Red Dwarf" i reckon.

Several of them are certainly a little bit like Dave Lister. One wonders. ;)

There is also one character's "Stabbing in-between fingers with knife" habit.

I guess that is probably where Cameron got "Bishops's trick" from,for Aliens.

to name the things Joe didn't

AI  

you mean wouldn't because best, and AI never meet in my universe.

Metropolis. Point blank end of conversation.

Because it's regarded as a "Classic"?. Nah. Metropolis is interesting. But not "that" good.

Someone once famously said "A classic is something everybody praises, but never reads"

Same could go for Metropolis. Who the hell watches Metropolis very much?. I know i dont.

Interesting movie, but not enough to end the list. I suppose other films we could include, are :

"The Black Hole" - Fun, but quite eery. Maximillian with his nasty blender hands.

"Silent Running" with Kirk Douglas and a very young Harvey Keitel .

That one freaked me out as a kid. I watched it one night alone in a dark room.

The scene where Kietel's head is suddenly plonked on the top of his robot. Yikes.

Metropolis. Point blank end of conversation.

Minority Report- (starting an entirely new conversation).

-interesting and exciting while managing to project some interesting philosophical and ethical issues. I?m always interested in plots that include something deeper than laser pistols (or light sabers for that matter). IMO, the cinematography is Spielberg at his best and Tom Cruise is beyond awesome.

(HPFAN, would you like to join our conversation now?)

IMO, the cinematography is Spielberg at his best  

really, thats the one point of the film I didn't care for, that blue tone was annoying. But the film is a worthy of top 25 SF consideration.

Ahh- but the way he used the blue tone (I would consider it more gray) in contrast with colors he wanted to emphasize- such as the red ball or the blood when Whitwer gets shot.

What I found more interesting was the somewhat risky ways he incorporated high glares into some of the scenes. Two examples were in the mall when Anderton is trying to escape with the precog (beginning of ch. 17) or when he is talking with his wife on a dock near their house.

Not claiming to be an expert on the style, but I did think it fit the film well. My opinion anyway.

"Silent Running" with Kirk Douglas and a very young Harvey Keitel .

Damn, Melange, you just lost your title as a true connaisseur. I can understand your mistake, though. It's Saturn 3 with Kirk Douglas, Farrah Fawcett, Harvey Keitel, not Silent Running.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

Damn, Melange, you just lost your title as a true connaisseur. I can understand your mistake, though. It's Saturn 3 with Kirk Douglas, Farrah Fawcett, Harvey Keitel, not Silent Running.

Ah yes. It's been a long time, so i got the names mixed up. Silent running was that rather so so film with the 3 little robots and 1 man running that "greenhouse" style spaceship, was'nt it. As i say, it's been a long time since i've seen either one. LOL

Janusz Kaminski's just a great DP (probably because Spielberg's rubbed off on him.) To me, I think Kaminski's cinematography do for Spielberg movies what Williams' scores do for them. Zsigmond, Slocombe, and Daviau don't do a horrible job--they do the job that needs to be done (although I like the way Slocombe uses artificial flares like in the caves in Temple of Doom--just seems to make the movie that much more of an epic). Kaminski, on the other hand, is inventive. He tries out a lot of new stuff, but still keeps a traditional approach with a modern edge (an example I'd use would be Catch Me If You Can). I thought he did a great job of making Minority Report feel gritty and used a lot of contemporary camera techniques, to go with a bleak, futuristic version of The Fugitive. In CMIYC, I think he succeeded in going for the "glass of bubbly champagne" that he wanted for the film--which was just right. It was a warm tone, with the flares just right and the mood perfectly established for each shot. Genius.

Janusz Kaminski's just a great DP (probably because Spielberg's rubbed off on him.)  To me, I think Kaminski's cinematography do for Spielberg movies what Williams' scores do for them.  Zsigmond, Slocombe, and Daviau don't do a horrible job--they do the job that needs to be done (although I like the way Slocombe uses artificial flares like in the caves in Temple of Doom--just seems to make the movie that much more of an epic).  Kaminski, on the other hand, is inventive.  He tries out a lot of new stuff, but still keeps a traditional approach with a modern edge (an example I'd use would be Catch Me If You Can).  I thought he did a great job of making Minority Report feel gritty and used a lot of contemporary camera techniques, to go with a bleak, futuristic version of The Fugitive.  In CMIYC, I think he succeeded in going for the "glass of bubbly champagne" that he wanted for the film--which was just right.  It was a warm tone, with the flares just right and the mood perfectly established for each shot.  Genius.

As Nigel Havers said to Jimmy in "Empire of the Sun" while shaking him "Try not to think SO much".

You think faaaar too much, Lord is Judge. :)

Janusz Kaminski's just a great DP (probably because Spielberg's rubbed off on him.)  To me, I think Kaminski's cinematography do for Spielberg movies what Williams' scores do for them.  Zsigmond, Slocombe, and Daviau don't do a horrible job--they do the job that needs to be done (although I like the way Slocombe uses artificial flares like in the caves in Temple of Doom--just seems to make the movie that much more of an epic).  Kaminski, on the other hand, is inventive.  He tries out a lot of new stuff, but still keeps a traditional approach with a modern edge (an example I'd use would be Catch Me If You Can).  I thought he did a great job of making Minority Report feel gritty and used a lot of contemporary camera techniques, to go with a bleak, futuristic version of The Fugitive.  In CMIYC, I think he succeeded in going for the "glass of bubbly champagne" that he wanted for the film--which was just right.  It was a warm tone, with the flares just right and the mood perfectly established for each shot.  Genius.

As Nigel Havers said to Jimmy in "Empire of the Sun" while shaking him "Try not to think SO much".

You think faaaar too much, Lord is Judge. :)

Aw- give the guy a break- there were some good insights there.

As hard as it may be perhaps we should be willing to put aside prejudices- even in regards to TLiJ.

He actually had two of them. One feeding pidgeons on the park bench (widescreen only) and the other on the cover of Time (or was it Newsweek) magazine.

My list:

Forbidden Planet

Star Wars (sure its more fantasy . . . . . yadda yadda)

War of the Worlds

ET

Day the Earth Stood Still

Silent Running

Close Encounters

Minority Report

a tenth film to be named later

Thank you for your replies!

Personally, I would certainly add Blade Runner to the list. Maybe Invasion of the Body Snatchers as well.

Concerning the Minority Report discussion here, I think I'm overall pretty neutral in my view of Kaminski, but I think he did a very good job in MR in particular. I like the contrast with the greenhouse among others.

To the topic once more. Do you know of any good forum where people discuss SF movies, or SF books, or preferably SF novelisations?

Thanks!

Greetings!

Lotman

Blade Runner

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

Alien

2001: A Space Odessey

E.T.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

THX 1138

Gattaca

Terminator

Planet of the Apes

Westworld

The Matrix

The Day the Earth Stood Still

War of the Worlds

Dark Star

And for old time's sake

The Omega Man

The Ultimate Warrior

Soylent Green

Capricorn One

Capricorn One

I never really thought of this as SCI-FI, but I do love the film, love the music, the ending, the conspriacies....

I got to see it at a test showing back in the spring of 78? We marked cards and graded it. I gave it an A. Few people showed up, but those of us who did had a great time. We went into the movie not even knowing the title.

The advertisement said we could see a new film project and stay afterwards and watch the Goodbye Girl.

It was a great double bill as it turned out.

Because it's the only movie that made me feel sick afterwards. That's an emotion, isn't it? I think George was a genius back then. The film was totally absent of emotion that it had a physical effect on me.

----------------

Alex Cremers

He actually had two of them. One feeding pidgeons on the park bench (widescreen only) and the other on the cover of Time (or was it Newsweek) magazine.

Isn't it Kubrick on the magazine cover?

Neil

And for old time's sake

The Omega Man  

The Ultimate Warrior

Soylent Green

Capricorn One

Why I wrote "for old time's sake" you ask?

Well, it's been a while since I've seen those movies and I'm not sure they any good. I loved those movies when I was twelve but something tells me they didn't stand the test of time. OK, perhaps Capricorn One did.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

Newbie dittos on Tron, Blade Runner, Westworld, etc., plus --

- The Thirteenth Floor

- The Fifth Element

- the Buster Crabbe serials (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers)

- the original Invaders From Mars

- the original The Thing (James Arness)

Do The Truman Show and Being John Malkovich qualify as SF, y'think?

Can't think of any good book made from an SF movie...

quote="Stefancos"]Stefancos- who actually likes 2010

Melange : "Dr Stefan"

Stefan : "What is it Melange?".

Melange : "Will i dream?"

Stefan : "Of course you will dream,Melange. All Jwfan members dream...

Nobody knows why. Perhaps you will dream of Ren. As i often do :cry: ".

Probably one of the creepiest scenes in that film is where Dr Floyd is sitting there on discovery , and Hal talks about somebody wanting to meet him. Cannot give the source. Then Hal says that "I understand. Look behind you". Great scene that.

Melange - My first DVD was 2010 in widescreen.

"My god.....it's full of Bootleg CD's" :baaa:

- the Buster Crabbe serials (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers)

I can't get into the Buck Rogers serial, but I love the Flash Gordon's. I used to watch them every other Saturday night when I would visit my dad. We love those things. I now have them all on DVD. I should have a marathon.

Neil

Buck Rogers

DIBBY DIBBY DIBBY......GOTCHA BUCK!!!.

What about Battlestar Galactica as well. Captain Addama and co was'nt it?

I love the Buck Rogers TV series with Gil Gerrard and Erin Gray, but we were talking about about the 1939 serial starring Buster Crabbe, which is not very good.

Neil

Buck Rogers

DIBBY DIBBY DIBBY......GOTCHA BUCK!!!.

What about Battlestar Galactica as well. Captain Addama and co was'nt it?

I believe a new Battlestar Galactica movie is in the making.

I've always had some sympathy for that main Battlestar Galactice theme. Sounded kind of noble.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

Ah, a TV series and not a movie. Good. That makes a lot of more sense.

So I guess that theme will be flushed down the toilet a long with the rest of the old crew.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

• 2 weeks later...

Lotman!

If you like X-Files then there's one movie you really should watch. When I first saw it I thought it was gonna be a stinker but it turned out to be one hell of a surprise movie of the year for me. And unlike X-Files it suppose to have really happened. See it! It's called Fire In The Sky.

----------------

Alex Cremers