Vangelis to score Alexander the Great!

stewdog1

Oooh, I can't wait for this. I've been looking forward to this movie, and now with Vangelis scoring, it's even better. :sigh:

Taken from http://www.elsew.com/data/latest.htm

"Alexander": Major new movie score in the works!!!

Next Friday December 12, Intermedia and IMF productions are expected to announce that they have managed to sign Vangelis as composer for one of their biggest upcoming motion pictures. Vangelis is currently working on the score for Oliver Stone's much anticipated epic drama about Alexander the Great.

Alexander was the king of Macedonia and Greece who conquered most of the then known world, over 300 years BC. There are currently two major motion pictures in preparation about this historic figure, with Stone's movie leading the race, planned to reach cinemas in November 2004. Although it has not yet officially been titled, Stone's production is commonly referred to as "Alexander" in magazines and movie gossip sites on the internet. The star-studded cast list includes big names like Colin Farrell, Angelina Jolie, Anthony Hopkins, Jared Leto and Val Kilmer.

"I've always admired Oliver's films. And, of course, Alexander the Great is a story that's a natural part of my heritage. So, to be composing for this film with Oliver Stone directing makes it an especially exciting experience for me", Vangelis was quoted as saying.

A soundtrack album will be released on Sony Classical.

There are already two sites following all the unofficial news around this movie:

www.alexander-the-great.co.uk

www.alexander-rc.com

Also check the Internet Movie Database for more (preliminary) details:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0346491/combined

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible news. Not only do we lose a possible JW score, but we get a new age score unfitting the movie! (I never liked Vangelis, particulaly after what he did on 1492)

What I meant was that his score was totaly wrong for the movie. I like parts of 1492, just like I like Chariots of Fire, but it just doesnt serve the movie at all (only 1492, of course. CoF works fantastically with the movie (which I don't like)).

Morlock- who still likes the full orchestra versions of the Vangelis themes (Williams and the BPO did great recordings of them)

My estimations of Stone's cinematic instincts just took a steep plunge.

Only just now?

Heaven and Earh, the last in the Vietnam trilogy, was scored by another synth man, named Kitaro.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

synth scores can be effective, and I heard the score you are talking about stef, and it is a great score. Very effective to the movie.

Why all the attacks about Vangelis scoring this? :sigh:

Why not Vangelis?. I thought his score for 1492 was great. And unfortuantely, some wonderful parts of it have never been released (such as the superb Knighting scene, with the swinging incense burner). Scott's whole reasoning behind having a semi traditional / modern score was to avoid it being viewed as an "old" film. He wanted to bring the audience into that part of history, yet with something familiar to the viewers (the modern element to the music). 1492 was the first score i got on CD, and i still love it. As for Alexander, it should be interesting if the story is handled well and Alexander is not just made out to be a cool kickass general. He had his failing too, and knowing Stone's skill at portraying psychological inwardness in his films, it hopefully will be well balanced.

For the battle side of things, we've had a wonderful series on Brit tv (i've unfortuantely missed most as i was travelling) where a new team is confronted with a computereized version of a historical battle each week (the computer is flippin amazin by the way, and very realistic). In the program. they must act as virtual generals and take command of huge ancient or modern armies to see if they can win the battle that has already occured in history. This week was a superb one with Alexander and King Darius (of the Persian empire). Heavily (and i mean heavily) outnumbered by Persians, the team in control of Alexander and his army had to arrange the different elements of the armies like pikemen, cavalry, and swordsmen, to attack the persian lines which were gigantic. The guys won (just about). Afterwards, they showed what actually happened in the real battle. Alexander was a military genius and how he won that battle was enthralling to watch, given the small size of his army during that battle. The funny thing was that during the teams attempt this week, both Darius and Alexander were killed (causing the troops of both armies to run off on occasions.....hehehehe). In real history, Darius fled the battle field and Alexander took over the Persian empire.

Melange - Loves Synths and feels they are very welcome in all kinds of music.

Melange - I would say that. I'm still a fan of Jean Michel Jarre, and Goldsmith.

But we get a new age score unfitting the movie!

How can you say beforehand, if it will be fitting for the movie or not? :sigh:

Melange - Notices that some people just have prejudices against synth.

synth scores can be effective, and I heard the score you are talking about stef, and it is a great score.  Very effective to the movie.

Don't call me Stef, that is not my name, nor the proper abriviation of it.

Steefancos- :sigh:

A new age score is by definition wrong for a an hisotrical epic.

I don't have prejuidices againt synth- I know, from experiencethat most synth scores don't work for me. I felt the blues part of Blade Runner sounded terrible in synth, I think Chariots of Fire sounds better (outside the movie) with a full orchestra- and I don't care what they were trying, 1492 failed completely as a movie score.

Also Giorgio Moroder IMO missed an opportunity to have a really great film score by making Midnight Express all synth. He has these great emotional themes, but that sound negates them.

Synth as an accomponiment I'm fine with, but I can't stand Vangelis, who composes some great music and is too dumb-headed to give it the proper treatment, as oposed to religiously sticking to his synth.

The only synth score I really totaly like is Beverly Hills Cop. That needed synth, so Faltermeyer used synth.

A new age score is by definition wrong for a an hisotrical epic.

In your opinion. We all have opinions about what should be used and not used. I also would not term something like 1492 "New Age" as such. To me, new age music is more of your "Reiki moments" type CD. Very little thematic development, and more of an overall subdued ambience to aid meditation or therapy etc. Some would disagree of course. There are thematic ones out there, but often they are intended just to be ambient in nature and not to have anything in them which will stand out as such. The heavy chorals in part of 1492 dont make it (imo) a new age score as such. The huge sucess of 1492's score shows that it was a success..

The cd was a success, people forgot about the movie in about 5 seconds. And actualy just yesterday my teacher was humming thet theme from it, and I asked where he knew it from, he said it's from Vangelis' 1492 concert. I told him it was from a movie, he was really surprised. He bought the cd being sure it was a Vangelis concert piece.

And as I said- I like 1492 (one of the 2 Vangelis cds I own), but it was totaly wrong for the movie.

He bought the cd being sure it was a Vangelis concert piece.

The actual soundtrack one?. Then he mus'nt of ever read his inlay card or looked at the pics.

And as I said- I like 1492 (one of the 2 Vangelis cds I own), but it was totaly wrong for the movie.

In what way? (other than..."By definition it's wrong for an historical epic". I'm curious to know what specifically you felt was wrong about the score that gives you the feeling it was not effective in enhancing the movie.

He's Israeli, and is not fluent enough in English to care to read the inserts.

It was just wrong. I can't explain- that's the general opinion of it also (Just read the filmtracks review- that basicaly sums up my thoughts).

This is horrible news!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why on earth would they do this? This is an Epic, it needs someone who can score an epic type of film!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is so bad!

He's Israeli, and is not fluent enough in English to care to read the inserts.

I see.

It was just wrong. I can't explain

Then is your opinion perhaps just a borrowed one from a Filmtracks review?. It's easy to think something is "our" opinion, when infact we've just been told what to think of a score by someone else and their review (i just read the review on filmtracks). If you cannot really give a detailed reason why you dont think it worked well as a movie score, then i suspect you never truly had a real opinion in the first place concerning why you dont think it worked well (other than "Synths are out of place in an epic period film"). Perhaps you've just been influenced by someone elses opinion?. Anyway, we'll just have to agree to disagree i guess, Morlock. I certainly dont think it was that out of place in the movie, and some sections i thought it was perfect. Also, some great sections of score never made it onto the disc, and they were great cues :| .

My thoughts exactly Melange. The score has not been written yet and everyone is flaming it. Why don't you wait until it comes out before you bash it.

It makes me laugh when people complain about synth, especially film score folks, yet have a huge library of Jerry Goldsmith as well as Randy Edelman and listen to that stuff religiously.

One more thing, Vangelis' music is not New Age. The only thing he has done that might be considered New Age is Oceanic. The mainstream doesn't know how to categorize his music, so they just stick it in the New Age section. Same goes for Yanni.

The peak years of Vangelis using synths are already a long time behind us. Vangelis uses a lot of reverb to hide his terrible sound of samples these days. Lots of samples, lots of reverb. I use to like his music and sometimes I wish I still did but the truth is I simply can't anymore. Listen to El Greco, for Pete's sake, and you'll know what I mean.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

OK, this is odd, why doesn't anyone want to score ancient epics with orchestral music anymore? There is good potential for music here, they've spoiled it.

OK, this is odd, why doesn't anyone want to score ancient epics with orchestral music anymore? There is good potential for music here, they've spoiled it.

Maybe because it has been done countless times before. :)

It has been done countless times before and I think it has missed a lot more than it's hit, but no because of the format. Either the movies themselves or the composers were not up to the task of creating classic epic scores.

Williams for example has never done a huge classic epic historical movie, so I think he would have been perfect for this. I would love a soundtrack of the scope, energy and quality of something like 'The Land Race'.

Vangelis might be right for it- but I am sincerely doubtful.

I hope Luhrman's movie (with more impressive behind the scenes names, especialy Scorsese and De-Laurentes) will have an orchestral score. Who knows- maybe Craig Armstrong is the next epic composer? After all- his love themes, from Moulin Rouge and, more importantly, from Love Actualy are as big as it gets. Although he has yet to prove himself in action music.

Vangelis is good. Don't judge him because some of his tunes have become icons. John Williams liked Chariots of Fire enough to arrange it for orchestra.

Check out some of V's obscure albums, like "Direct", some great music on there.

AI - Who likes Vangelis, Jarre and some other synthesized music.

Well, it's my first post here, but I've been reading this forum for several months now. I felt I really had to respond to this thread.

Vangelis is an odd beast. He has on occasion come up with wonderful music. His albums Albedo 0.39, Earth, Beauborg and Soil Festivities are particularly fine. He has even come up with some nice soundtracks. The Polanski classic Bitter Moon is GREATLY enhanced by the haunting score.

However... he has come up with some terrible music also. The album Heaven and Hell and anything post 1992 are pretty bad. Even the score from Chariots of Fire, while having a superb theme has very little else, apart from Hubert Parry's immortal Jerusalem! The 20 minute piece that constituted the second side of the original LP is pretty uninspired improvisation.

So... I am very interested to see what happens here. Stone has made a BRAVE choice. Vangelis will either do something grand, startling and atmospheric, which I have to admit he hasn't really pulled off for many years now. Or else he will regurgitate the same irritating simple triadic noodlings which his last albums have been built on.

I think that he will do a very good job at scoring this movie. I think that he might use more of an orchestral soundtrack rather than a synth soundtrack. But his trademark is synths and if he does a good job I am all for it!

With any luck Stone will reject his score and hir Williams. All I can say is this news sucks. I figured JW was a shoe-in since hes worked on like most of Stone's film in recent years.

Hopefully this report is wrong by some chance.

I don't particularly care if John Williams gets to score this or not, but at least give it to a composer that can write orchestral and epic scores well..... What on earth is happening in this town???????????????

There are many composers out there that could do 100 times better justice to this:

John Williams

Jerry Goldsmith

James Newton Howard

Thomas Newman

Howard Shore

Michael Giacchino

Alan Silvestri

to name a few, hell, give it to me already if you are going to choose Vangelis!

I disagree with some of the names you mention ocelot. I would argue that Shore's music is no less simplistic and triadic than Vangelis'. Their music is very similar in many ways. Just because Shore writes his drivel for orchestra as opposed to synths doesn't make him a better composer. I don't think the use of synths is necessarily going to be a problem. I'm more concerned about the actual notes that are played

I'm the first person to say that Shore's music to LOTR is simplistic and triadic but I still believe he is umpteenth times the composer Vangelis is for an Epic such as this. I would prefer someone who knows the intricacies of the orchestra and could orchestrate acordingly, but still.... Shore's music is alot better than anything I have heard Vangelis write.

But his trademark is synths and if he does a good job I am all for it!

Might very well be, but the amount of samples he's been using for the last decade or so will tell you otherwise. If you're Vangelis, why not use real strings instead of really lousy strings samples. I use samples myself but I use to admire Vangelis because he managed to bring a special orchestral sound made solely with synths and REAL (!) percussion. He's a great percussionist too, but it's all samples now. I like his sound of the Seventies and especially what he did with the Yamaha CS-80. But I think Blade Runner (1982) (the soundtrack as it appears in the movie, not the CD, pleeaaassse) was the last interesting thing he did. Once he could be occasionally freaky but that made him also inventive and creative. Now, it has become way too corny, too schmaltz, too commercial for me, lads. Someone influential and close to him should have the balls to tell him so. Then, maybe, there's some hope left.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

But his trademark is synths and if he does a good job I am all for it!

Might very well be, but the amount of samples he's been using for the last decade or so will tell you otherwise. If you're Vangelis, why not use real strings instead of really lousy strings samples. I use samples myself but I use to admire Vangelis because he managed to bring a special orchestral sound made solely with synths and REAL (!) percussion. He's a great percussionist too, but it's all samples now. I like his sound of the Seventies and especially what he did with the Yamaha CS-80. But I think Blade Runner (1982) (the soundtrack as it appears in the movie, not the CD, pleeaaassse) was the last interesting thing he did. Once he could be occasionally freaky but that made him also inventive and creative. Now, it has become way too corny, too schmaltz, too commercial for me, lads. Someone influential and close to him should have the balls to tell him so. Then, maybe, there's some hope left.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

And the day when you compose something as great as Blade Runner, that is the day I shall bow down to you.

Now if you said El Creco then you may start bowing already. I said:" Blade Runner was the last interesting (read: GREAT) thing he did."

Read slower!

-----------------

Alex Cremers

I am very curious as to why the name Vangelis is the cause of so much angst. Anytime he is brought up, especially around here, emotions start to run high. Is it because of his Chariots victory? Is it because he hasn't done enough movie scoring? Because he's Greek? :sigh:

I respect Wael's opinion because of what he does for a living, but everyone else I'm curious as to why you feel the way you do.

Vangelis has provided me with as much joy listening to his music as JW has. I feel that he is one of the greatest musical minds of our age. But because he uses synths everybody freaks out. There aren't many people out there that can do what he does on synths especially with his artistic ability. Just think how much better Goldsmith's synths would have been if he could have gotten Vangelis to work with him.