Movies in 2004

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sixth Sense 's big shocker ending was quite obvious too. ----------------

Alex Cremers

I totally agree. A friend saw it, and said the ending was so unpredictable - and without seeing the movie (all I had seen was the trailer - and the tag line), I guessed it (although I didn't ask for confirmation). I mean, come on. And years later I actually saw the movie. It was quite a boring experience...

Well, I think it matters in what context you're seeing a film, and if you like it untill the end. Best example- First time I saw The Usual Suspects, which has the absolute best twist ending ever, and in fact inspired all those ending (and naming them- they're called 'Keyzer Soze' endings), I totaly immeressed in the movie, and absolutely loved it so much, that I never guessed the end untill Chaz Palminteri did. I probably would've normaly, as the movie does sort of build to it and hint it, but I loved the movie so much, and was so interested, that I didn't think about the next scene.

Same thing with Minority Report- even though the real bad guy's identity is plainly obvious, and is the most likely person to suspect, I didn't have a clue untill the beging of the scene where he is revieled, because I was so into the amazing movie.

The Sixth Sense 's big shocker ending was quite obvious too.  

maybe to you it was, but not everyone.

I had no idea about the conclusion of The Sixth Sense. My sister did though, because she did a days filming on it as an extra. Sadly she can't be seen, but the AD on the set explained the movie in the most literal way possible.

Neil

I figured out the Usual Suspects from the beginning. It telegraphed it from the start. It was a most overrated film.

Now No Way Out caught me by surprise.

Let's face it, that he was using that room as a source of inspiration for his fantasized story came as a real shocker. There's no denying it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

There's denying it, many people do. But I really do think it could comedown to your mood when you saw it the first time. I think seeing it now for the first, at 3 in the morning, after the kind of day I just had, would make me very skeptical, and I doubt it would be one of my favorites. One thing I really love about it is, as opposed to the two Shyamalan films (I don't think Signs counts as a twist ending), Fight Club and the awfull Life of David Gale, is that the actual reveal is done so well. The mug, Palminteri's face, the board, all the different papers and stuff, the close up of the mug, the straightening out the foot, the lighter, the car the lawyer- all done perfectly, with amazing editing and the perfect dialogue track, and fantastic music. And it finishes perfectly with the 'He's gone'.

I am not too impressed with "The Village". I could guess the film's "shocking ending" just by watching the trailer.  

Fairly obvious.

Yes, I just about had it with the so-called "shock endings" Shyamalan thinks he needs to put in every movie. The Sixth Sense 's big shocker ending was quite obvious too. He must be the most overrated director living today. Another one to skip on my "I'll watch this at home" list.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Let me make this clear:

I dont have a problem with "shocker" or as most people call them "twist" endings, as long as the "twist" is integrated into the story and is truly a PART OF IT. I dislike it when alot of the time they just throw in some lame (usually easily solved) twist ending just for the sake of having one trying to make the plot look better than it is.

I did not see the ending to The Sixth Sense coming. Like Morlock, I was so involved in the movie, I didn't think of where it would be going, and I was completely shocked at the end. I also felt very fooled.

With The Usual Suspects, I unfortunately already knew the twist, but I still enjoyed this film a lot. The ending, as said, is superbly edited and shot.

- Marc

So, RL, what do you think the "Obvious" shocker ending to the village is?

I already have my suspicion on what it might be

So, RL, what do you think the "Obvious" shocker ending to the village is?

I already have my suspicion on what it might be

I actually pretty much "know" what it is.

Basically I guessed what the ending was and a buddy of mine told me he had seen the script and that I had correctly guessed the ending. I have also seen MANY people online all saying the same ending as the one I guessed.

If you REALLY want to know what it is swipe the text below.

Spoilers!!!!!!!! Swipe the text below ONLY IF you want to know the ending to "The Village":

Basically the ending is even though the films is supposed to be set in the year 1897, its really not. Its actually set in modern times and the "Mysterious Creatures" the people fear are all around them are actually present day human beings. Somehow a group of people became isolated from the rest of America and they lost track of time.

Basically the "red marks" of everyone's homes are supposed to be markings for construction workers so they know which houses to knock down. Apparently at the end the "modern people" are supposed to be building a mall on the site or something. The reason why the villagers surround their village with the color yellow is because its a color of safety on contruction sites and they believe it will aid them is keeping the "mysterious creatures" away. The "weird beastlike" shadows and noises are actually supposed to be being made by bulldozers used by the contruction workers. IN FACT if you listen to the VERY END of the trailer to the film (right after the shot of that Pheonix guy walking into that forest) you can actually HEAR the sound of a bulldozer. I kid you not! Have a listen!

Basically thats it! Everyone who think they are living in the past are actually living in our time.

You can thank me now for ruining the movie for you! :P

That's the one I heard but there's but I do see problems with it, one, construction workers mark trees with Paint and not yellow signs, second, Why would they skin all of the animals since that happens in the movie? and third, the yellow strips seen in the trailer look more like decorations

That's the one I heard but there's but I do see problems with it, one, construction workers mark trees with Paint and not yellow signs, second, Why would they skin all of the animals since that happens in the movie? and third, the yellow strips seen in the trailer look more like decorations

The yellow signs and decorations as I said are put up by the frightened villagers not "YOU KNOW WHO" in an attempt to keep "YOU KNOW WHO" away.

BTW has anyone seen the pics for that upcoming Catwoman film?

It looks positively atrocious We are talking downright abominable folks!

This looks like it will end up being one of those major "Debacle" films. Where an actor makes a movie that is so horrible they need to run and conceil themselves for a bit until the hoopla over it dies down.

This could be for Halle Berry what Gigli is for Ben Aflleck! What Battlefield Earth was for Travolta!

Yes, I can't believe Halle Berry is involved with that flick. Come on, she's better than that!

On another note, I don't know when The Bourne Supremacy is coming out, but I will definitely see that one in theatres. I hope it's as good as the first one.

- Marc

Yes, I can't believe Halle Berry is involved with that flick. Come on, she's better than that!

Have you seen her "acting" in Die Another Day? If you have, please tell me where. I've seen that movie more than I wish to, but still can't find any evidence of her ability.

Neil

That's hardly a challenge, even a reclining arm chair would do a better acting job then Denise Richards did.

Halle Berry was not very good in DAD, but she has done very good work in other films.

She's definatly a good actress, but maybe no Meryl Streep.

:)

Speaking of Denise Richards, my friend was under the impression that she was in fact Maggie Banning (the little girl) from Hook. It's the eyebrows, he said. I doubted it, I didn't think Richards would be able to sing, though the girl who did sing "When You're Alone" wasn't that good, I always find myself skipping over that track...

Halle Berry is a RIDICULOUSLY overrated actress. Shes not terrible, but shes usually very mediocre and bland. Her performance in Monster's Ball was her best and was pretty good, but it was NOWHERE NEAR oscar worthy.

Usually she comes across as being totally wooden like she was in the two X-Men films.

On another note, I don't know when The Bourne Supremacy is coming out, but I will definitely see that one in theatres. I hope it's as good as the first one.

- Marc

Everyone's better than that. But I also think that Berry is no great actress. I think she was very unimpressive in the X Men movies, and I think she was not as good as they say she was in Monster's Ball.

And your not gonna get anywhere comparing her to Denise Richards- her best roles so far were cameos in Scary Movie 3 and Love Actually :roll:.

She's definatly a good actress, but maybe no Meryl Streep.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I think Meryl Streep is no Meryl Streep. The most overrated actress ever.

I thought Denise Richards was pretty effective in Wild Things . Also, her role in Starship Troopers fitted her well. She quite good if they cast her for roles that portray spoiled brats who think they always get their way.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Morlock, who's a bit concerened that DVD sales are matching and topping ticket sales.

It's bound to happen sometime. I know I hardly ever go to the big screen anymore. It's an insult to cinema how films are being presented and I like film to much to go along with it. It's those damn multiplexes and their awful projection. However, most people don't have a clue what it is I'm talking about. That's a shame, but I know what I see.

----------------

Alex Cremers

My theatre visits have dropped as well; the tickets are more expensive than they used to be, so I only go for the movies which are really worth it. At least I try to.

And what are multiplexes? It sounds like a good reason not to go to the cinema, and to tell to people why you don't go anymore.

Multiplexes are movie theaters that have several theaters in them, like 15 or 20 (Not sure abotu the dictionary definition though).

I've actualy gone to the movies more this year than any other year. My attendance has been steadily increasing since 1998.

And I've come to the conclusion that this year was the year for the summer movies, or the movies with no other goal other than to entertain.

Although there have been some great serious movies, there were nowhere near as many good ones as last year. This year I had- Master & Commander, Last Samurai, RoTK, Mystic River, The Son, Dogville and Lost in Translation- these are the ones I've seen so far. I've yet to see In America, Monster, Owning Mahoney, The Cooler, The Barbarian Invasions, Cold Mountain and The Station Agent. Even if all of these are great, last year would still be better.

And I have a tendency to see films 2, 3, 4 times. So far it's Last Samurai- 2, Master and Commander- 4, RoTK- 6, Dogville- 2, Mystic River- 2, Intolerable Cruelty- 3, Love Actualy- 2, X2- 3, Pirates of The Carribean- 3, Holes- 2, Bruce Almighty- 2, The Italian Job- 3, Phone Booth- 2, and probably a few more I've missed (multiple times, that is. I've seen at least 20 other movies once).

And each and every one of them stood up, although some better than others. All the comedies worked great every time I saw them, Master and Commander got better each time, and Dogville seemed less pretentious the second time around. On the other hand, the last 3 minutes of Mystic River almost ruined the experience both times, and the battle scenes in RoTK were boring from the second time on.

Morlock- who, contrary to what it may seem, doesn't have much time, and has a carefully hammered out schedule to fit in 2-3 movie a week. (3-4 in December-January)

Well, again, I stay home because of those darn multiplexes (big concrete buildings with a multitude of auditoria) with their aweful poor quality projectors. If I want to see sharp images and color (!) I rather stay at home and rent the DVD. The only drawback is that sharpness and color can only be seen on a small screen like a "classic" tube TV.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I feel that the only way to watch a comedy for the first time is in the first few days of it's release, at a full showing. That's really the filmgoing experience to me- the eruption of laughter in Intolerable Cruelty for the joke involving a asthma inhaler a gun, not the clapping and cheering at the begining and end of Lord of The Rings.

Yes movie prices are ridiculously high, I don't even buy food (unless it's popcorn) at the theatre, I just go to the gas station and buy snacks.

I want to go back to the old times when going to movies was a very high occasion, and you'd get dressed up for it, now the magic is gone.

Prices aren't high where i live. I remember paying 18 dollars for three people when i went to the movies the other day.

The theatres around where I live have raised prices by .25 to .50, moved the matinee prices from 5:00pm to 2:00pm. So for me and my wife plus my two teenage kids to go to a movie, have popcorn and drinks cost me $50.00 +. While nothing beats watching a film in a theatre I'm even more pickier about what films I go see.

As for The Village, if that is indeed the true nature of the film, it shouldn't matter if the film is actually good.

I always bring my own food. I'm not paying more for half a litre of Coke and a bag of M&M's than I pay for my movie ticket.

And on another note, we still have intermissions over here. I think that royally sucks. Down with breaks! Give me my movie already!

- Marc, who does not eat much in the theatre anyway.

And on another note, we still have intermissions over here.

Actually, we don't. Luckily that's something that changed positively over the past years.

Yes- my ass falls a sleeps if it remains unmoved for over an hour and a half. And I'm very tall, so my legs are usualy in very uncomfortable positions.