Goldsmith's rejected STAR WARS score

Hector J. Guzman

I loved FSM's JesterPool's post, very funny heh heh:

WIth all the talk about Jerry Goldsmith's dropped score from TIMELINE, let's not forget about his rejected score of STAR WARS (1977).

The Columbia LP track list contained:

Side One

1. Main Title/Darth Vader (4:03)

2. The Shuttle (3:43)

3. Wild Beast (4:38)

4. Cantina (disco remix) (3:50)

5. Hyperspace (5:19)

Side Two

1. That Distant Star (sung by Carol Heather)

(4:12)

2. Laser Swordplay (3:58)

3. The Droids (3:09)

4. Battle Attack (5:42)

5. End Titles (4:29)

To bad there's no "A New Life" track, hehehe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no idea Goldsmith did a score for it

unless you guys are playing some joke that i dont get

Oh yes he wrote a score for it .......

A LONG TIME AGO ..... IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY! :)

Which would be very easy to do.  

Stefancos-  

Oh yes, given that I SET MYSELF UP for that one

Where's this music, I will have it

if my crazy $128.50 spending habits have a say in it

It's not well known, but many cues from Damien: Omen II were recycled from this rejected Star Wars score. "Snowmobiles" is based on the music that was meant to underscore Luke's search for Artoo.

Neil

Does anyone actually HAVE the rejected score to Star Wars by Goldsmith? I never even heard of this before and I'm a huge fan. If you have a copy please e-mail me at nickwilder87@hotmail.com. Thanks.

There isn't a rejected Goldsmith Star Wars score. It a joke thread.

Not true. I have this 79 minute bootleg.

Weebo

:wave: Attack of the Clones 2 disc Oscar Promo - "Dex's Diner"

Ssssttt...  

Stefancos-  

My rage shall be swift and forthcoming

It's not well known, but many cues from Damien:  Omen II were recycled from this rejected Star Wars score.  "Snowmobiles" is based on the music that was meant to underscore Luke's search for Artoo.

Neil

In fact, from what I gather, that beautiful theme heard in "The Light" from Poltergeist was originally written for the binary sunset scene. Again, I cannot confirm this.

Not true. I have this 79 minute bootleg.

Weebo

:sigh: Attack of the Clones 2 disc Oscar Promo - "Dex's Diner"

:wave:

Ray Barnsbury

You had to remind me of that awful diner sequence from AOTC Morlock? Didn't you?  

Lucas ........... where has your mind gone?

Rogue, how did Morlock remind you of that?

Neil

You had to remind me of that awful diner sequence from AOTC Morlock? Didn't you?  

Lucas ........... where has your mind gone?

Rogue, how did Morlock remind you of that?

Neil

Ahhh OK I confused Morlock's post with Weebo's. Honest mistake is all.

I should have known this is a joke thread from all the constant sarcastic comments. But alas, I'm a bit slow (tear).

Joke, what joke? party pooper part II

Anyway, with a little effort ( :roll: ), I managed to get a review of the "unused" score written by a Joe Esrey:

Jerry's rejected Star Wars score is indeed fabulous, as I can attest from many joyous hours of listening to the boot, but of course it's not like Jerry hasn't done tons of great science-fiction/fantasy/mythic adventure stuff anyway, so it's not entirely unprecedented (his music for the Jawas and Tusken Raiders is somewhat evocative of his Planet of the Apes stuff, actually - not a recycling, of course, but just a bit evocative of the earlier work). What I find interesting is all the fascinating stuff he and Williams both have done and had rejected in genres they're not particularly known for, where producers apparently were skittish about these guys working outside the fields they were known quantities in. One wonders why the producers would hire them for certain films in the first place if they were so unsure; it certainly doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they'd hear the fantastic end results and then ditch them, but oh, well.

:) John Williams' (rejected) score for Shaft in Africa

used with permission (I hope) from Joe Esrey : P

I heard some of that, it reminded me of Deep Impact.

No, wait, it was more like a mix between Apollo 13, The Pelican Brief and Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Other than that it's typical Horner. And if you look closely you might find something resembling the Spock theme, but a little different.

If you watched the Walt Disney Concert Hall Gala on PBS, you might have catched a peak of Hans Zimmer when The Rite of Spring ended. I guess he was doing "research" for his new score :):music:

:| Kabalevsky Overture to Colas Breugnon

The Boston Pops Orchestra

John Williams

You know what Goldsmith probably should have written a score for??

LOTR!!!

OK maybe it would be lacking today, but BACK IN HIS PRIME Jerry could have created a score for that which would have set a major precedent in film music. Especially back in the day when Jerry wrote sweeping themes for epic works like The Wind and the Lion.

You know what Goldsmith probably should have written a score for??  

LOTR!!!

No, no, no...he wasn't hired for the project, so it'd be somewhat of a waste of time. Plus, he wasn't involved in the production process, so he would've had to wait for the movies to hit theaters before seeing footage, going home and trying to remember everything that happened so he could write music for it.

Nevermind the credentials, the talent.

Damn right! Golsmith may have even more impressive talent than he has credentials.

Which is truly a stupendous accomplishment to sy the least! :)

Good God, people. Do you have to flame everyone and everything? Shore did a fine job on the LotR scores. IMO, he's set the standard now for medieval fantasy flicks, kinda like the way Williams set the standard for modern-day adventure and space-faring movies (although Goldsmith is a very close second in the space-faring department).

I'm a big Goldsmith fan, but I cannot see his current style of scoring for the LOTR films as they were made.

Howard's Shore style was precisely what the films needed, it's as brilliant a marriage between music, images and story as just about anything i've seen, Indiana Jones and SW included.