Get a Life

nja

The real point of this article is not LOTR, but the tendency of some to manufacture issues into stories where they do not exist. It happens with SW, The Matrix and sadly a lot of other stuff.

The article:

The deep thinkers at Indymedia have come to the conclusion that the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy paints a "racist stereotypical tapestry" that does a disservice to young viewers everywhere.

Lloyd Hart says people of color are all associated with the Dark Lord Sauron in the movie and the elephant-riding mercenaries too closely resemble the cultures of Africa, Persia and East Asia. The Uruk-hai also too closely resemble Native Americans, which is sure to cause "a great deal of cultural and racial alienation."

The fact that King Theoden, a white guy, calls his troops the "great warriors of the West" clinches it in Hart?s eyes.

"Can you imagine how people of skin color, of Persian, Arab and East Asian ethnic background feel when they come out of these films where all the heroes are white and all the 'evil doers' are of dark skin," Hart writes.

Hopefully this will avoid a lockdown. If not, I'll deal with it (in the resignation sense of the word).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Uruk-hai also too closely resemble Native Americans, which is sure to cause "a great deal of cultural and racial alienation.

Now that's a racist comment based on this guy's on pre-conceived stereotypes! "Hey pot, this is kettle."

Not once have I ever thought that about the Uruk-Hai and, if it weren't so damned stupid, I might find the comment insulting as I have fair amount of Comanche, Apache, and Cherokee ancestory myself.

This is so goddamn funny! LOL :wave: LOL

It's like those morons burning Harry Potter books because they'd be promoting witchcraft. What an assholes. LOL

- Marc, who laughs at these silly persons. :P

The deep thinkers at Indymedia have come to the conclusion that the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy paints a "racist stereotypical tapestry" that does a disservice to young viewers everywhere.

How young, aren't these films rated PG13?

Lloyd Hart says people of color are all associated with the Dark Lord Sauron in the movie and the elephant-riding mercenaries too closely resemble the cultures of Africa, Persia and East Asia.

The are not Elephant's, they are Oliphaunts.

The Uruk-hai also too closely resemble Native Americans, which is sure to cause "a great deal of cultural and racial alienation."

Did native americans have Cockney accents then?

No wonder they were slaughtered by Custer.

The fact that King Theoden, a white guy, calls his troops the "great warriors of the West" clinches it in Hart?s eyes.

TO DEATH!!!

"Can you imagine how people of skin color, of Persian, Arab and East Asian ethnic background feel when they come out of these films where all the heroes are white and all the 'evil doers' are of dark skin," Hart writes.

Aren't white people often cast as dumb villians in Asian films. :wave:

Frankly i'm glad they did not include a Token black Hobbit to please the "sensitive" crowd.

The racially mixed lost boys in Hook were bad enough.

Stefancos- :roll:

The thread title, "Get a Life", is what got my attention. The assumption seems to be that if you're talking about a movie from the point of view of its score, CGI, etc., etc. than you're like us and you have a life. However, if you falsely connect the movie with an issue of actual social significance you need to "Get a Life". I don't think any of us who have posted on this board very often (myself included) are in a good position to tell someone to "Get a Life" without opening ourselves up to the charge of hypocricy. At least that's my take on it.

- Adam

Isn't Saramun the White white? And the Nazgul were white kings weren't they? And the barbarian tribes? Supposed to be like white Viking hordes. And Gollum! And Voldemort! And Umbridge! And, .... oh..... sorry..... I think I switched films

And Adam...my words to you are

GET A LIFE, SON!!

That is all.

Is this your idea of a clever retort? - to warmly embrace your own hypocracy? Perhaps I'm missing something.

- Adam

I don't think any of us who have posted on this board very often (myself included) are in a good position to tell someone to "Get a Life" without opening ourselves up to the charge of hypocricy.

- Adam

Hate to break it to you, but there's a lot of crazy people in this world who need to get a life. I don't see how you could defend the bloaks at Indymedia; I think they're way off base.

Regarding those who post on JWFN . . . sorry I'm just not seeing the connection.

GET A LIFE, SON!!

That is all.

Is this your idea of a clever retort? - to warmly embrace your own hypocracy? Perhaps I'm missing something.

- Adam

LETS GET READY TO RUUUUMMMMBBBLLLEEEE!!!!!!

GET A LIFE, SON!!

That is all.

- Adam

I think it was an attempt at humor...but I could be wrong. Best to just ignore it.

Neil

Nah, it was a stupid retort. And here's what you're missin': a sense of humor. Lighten up, bud!

What'd I tell ya? I don't get no respect. No respect at all...

Nah, it was a stupid retort. And here's what you're missin': a sense of humor. Lighten up, bud!

What'd I tell ya? I don't get no respect. No respect at all...

I don't think I should be blamed for failing to appreciate your "stupid retort", as you refer to it. I have a sense of humor but, like most people, its more likely to respond to clever than "stupid". Your reply came across as rude so I responded going on how I interpreted it and acknowledged I might be missing something. If that wasn't what you intended than I stand corrected and hope that in the future you won't use such cryptic humor so as not to create confusion. And there was no disrespect intended so your self-pity is not really warrented in this case.

- Adam

I don't think any of us who have posted on this board very often (myself included) are in a good position to tell someone to "Get a Life" without opening ourselves up to the charge of hypocricy.

- Adam

Hate to break it to you, but there's a lot of crazy people in this world who need to get a life. I don't see how you could defend the bloaks at Indymedia; I think they're way off base.

Regarding those who post on JWFN . . . sorry I'm just not seeing the connection.

My defense of the "bloaks at Indymedia" is the same defense I would give to someone at the opposite political spectrum. Namely that just because someone expresses an idea that is "way off base" doesn't mean they need to get a life. When I read what Lloyd Hart at Indymedia said, I consider the analysis, decide if I think its valid and even if I disagree, I can still appreciate hearing the perspective. Its only a movie, after all - he’s not attacking my soul. It would not occur to me to tell him to get a life. I don't know him and if somebody thinks a movie has negative social implications, I'd like to hear it. Maybe there's something for us to learn. If not, no harm done.

What is the connection to us? We give analysis all of the time, on matters that are completely trivial. Even when analysis seems "off-base" I would never tell someone here to “get a life”, especially since I don’t know anybody here. We all have legitimate reasons for posting our thoughts and we don't have to defend that to anybody. At the same time, I try to have enough self-awareness to realize there's at least a hundred more important things that I could be doing right now and I also try to recognize what our discussion looks like to most people, many of whom might think something along the lines of this thread title with regard to discussion about obscure composers, movies, etc.

As such, in the case that you've raised, I think we’re in a weak position to be telling him to get a life. You see a bigger distinction? - Ok, no big deal.

- Adam

Damnit! I thought i was going to see a fight. Damn you civilty and maturity for corrupting the members of this board!

HPFAN_2-Kidding :music:

I have a problem taking anyone seriously who hops on the PC bandwagon, hollerin' "RACIST!" just so they can hear themselves holler. Most of the time, they're full of it, and they're crusading for something that just won't make that much of a frickin' difference when put in practice. They're naive. They think they should be able to live life as a thin-skinned moron acting like a victim all their lives just so they can boss people around via courts and get rich without working for their living. They make other people earn the money so they can sue and win big. They're like parasites.

Now, everybody's not like this. Some are legitimately scared that some of the racially-inspired atrocities of history could be repeated without their efforts to educate or scrutinize over what's acceptable in race relations and what's not. I don't think Lloyd Harry (or whatever his name was) is out for money, but I can't believe he's actually concerned that LotR is propigating anti-Semitism or Western-supremacy.

While I did pick up on Theoden's quote about the West, I wasn't offended or inspired by it. IT WAS A FRICKIN' FANTASY MOVIE! For one thing, I don't think many of the people who saw the movie were smart/alert enough to make a connection between Middle Earth and the earth we live in.

If it weren't for the Holocaust, nobody would care what Lloyd says. But since that's not how history happened, then jokers like him can play off the fear that LotR might cause someone to take a shot at wiping out the Arabs and Indians (both Native and Asian) like Hitler tried with the Jews. Most people are going into the movie wanting to get 3.5 hours of dumb entertainment out of it, not some sort of motivation to go wipe out a race or two of people different from them. I know that's what I went into it wanting and that's what I got out of it.

To me, there's just not any reason to think a lot about whether or not he's got legitimate points and concerns, because they're so nutty. It's like saying Indiana Jones encourages cruelty against cows because he uses a whip. Sure, you can see where a person could think that, but it's the fact that they actually took the idea seriously instead of just writing it off that makes it hard for me to consider what they're saying. Honestly, I figured someone would pick up on Theoden's line or I was surprised they got away with it, but I wrote the idea off and got back to the rip-offs of Braveheart and The Empire Strikes Back they were showing at the time. I don't think I'm any worse off for it and I don't feel like it's my duty to go out and gripe about it because I'm afraid that people might take it the wrong way. As a matter of fact, I don't think they will take it the wrong way. I have a hard time seeing how anyone could, which is why I think that Lloyd is either not really concerned with the implications from the movie or he's an escaped mental patient/project.

Right on HPFAN 2  :mrgreen:  

K.M.Who doesn't have much of a life right now anyways.

K.K.M.Wondering why HPFAN 2 is not HPFAN 1 or just HPFAN

I was HPFAN but i forgot my password and i tried to get it back but it never worked so i had to make a new account. WHALLA HPFAN_2 is born.

WHALLA HPFAN_2 is born.

;):(ROTFLMAO

I always crack up when I see "vóila" typed that way.

Neil - not quite certain if he got the accent right

:cry: You idiot how could you spell it wrong! :mrgreen: banghead SHAME SHAME! bowdown

Hey, at least I was in the right ballpark and readily admitted I wasn't sure about the accent. I do know for a fact thought that it's not "walla", "whalla" or "viola".

Neil

No it's spelled...*looking for accent keys on his keyboard*... well Voila ,and the accent on the "a" goes upwards towards the left,not the right.

Shit! You're right. I was so sure it's "voilá". And I have to do French exam next year. Shame on me. Well, voilà then.

- Marc, hoping such discussions will be gone once we get some new Williams. ;):mrgreen:

Hey, at least I was in the right ballpark and readily admitted I wasn't sure about the accent.  I do know for a fact thought that it's not "walla", "whalla" or "viola".

Neil

Your french is quite fine indeed...

Now, lesson2: how do you spell "menage a trois" with the right accents ? :fouetaa:

The thread title, "Get a Life", is what got my attention. The assumption seems to be that if you're talking about a movie from the point of view of its score, CGI, etc., etc. than you're like us and you have a life. However, if you falsely connect the movie with an issue of actual social significance you need to "Get a Life". I don't think any of us who have posted on this board very often (myself included) are in a good position to tell someone to "Get a Life" without opening ourselves up to the charge of hypocricy. At least that's my take on it.

Get a Life really means get a social life, making the absurd assumption that that's the only type of life. This is a better useage for that term.