Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

That was frantastic! I need to put a jumper on, the shivers are still coming over me! The music sounds excellent, but it sounds very synthesised. Listen to the part where Ron adn Hermione almost hold hands; the pizzicato strings sound very fake. Other than that it's very well done. Looking foward to this so much!

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it, but at some point the music reminds me of MV's Pirates. It's from about 1:23, and doesn't exactly sound bad, but just sounds similar.

But at about 00:35 it sounds great, the vocals sound fantastic.

I am convinced that Rogue/William either has short term memory problems or he doesn't read anything but the last thread.

My memory works just fine Joe! I am fully aware of the situation with Rowling and casting. I just feel its complete BS!

I mean OK fine! She wants British actors? OK I have no problem with that. However, ABSOLUTELY no Americans actors? I mean com on! Surely 1 or 2 shouldn't be a big deal to this woman unless she is some kind of damn jingoistic person. ESPECIALLY when we are talking about an actor like Malkovich who is every bit as accomplished as the British actors in this movie.

I mean a general rule of Brtitish actors is fine, but a TOTAL shutout of Americans seems extreme.

Oh and I am aware the Malkovich deal was BS. Just using that as an example before you decide to chime in again Joe. :)

reminds me of MV's Pirates. It's from about 1:23, and doesn't exactly sound bad, but just sounds similar.

Here Magical_Me then download this,it's the clearest i've heard this bit of music so far.

http://www.apple.co.jp/quicktime/trailers/...tter_large.html

K.M.

It's like James Bond. He's British, and I can't imagine him being played by a Scotsman, a Welshman, an Irishman and certainly not an Australian!  

What's your point? I never said non-Brits wouldn't be able to play the characters. Rowling just wants authenticity, and I think that's pretty cool.

Ray Barnsbury

There are limits to how far these things should go. 98% British is fine, but I think they should make 1 or 2 exceptions should someone come along who is particularly special. Be they American or whatever.

OH yeah and thanks to KM for that link. That trailer had some nice audio quality.

The new music sounds darker in tone and more mature, which seems to match the movie quite well.

This score should be a REAL treat after a long hiatus of having no JW music.

I sure hope the music is from the score. I loved it!

Romão, who only heard the sound of the trailer...no image ;)

Here Magical_Me then download this,it's the clearest i've heard this bit of music so far.

Very clear sound. It's very obvious that it's synth, like we've been saying all along.

Neil

Is there a downloadable version of this? Or is there a way to download it or whatever?

I downloaded it with my 56 K modem,so i'm sure you can too

K.M.

I hate to say it, but at some point the music reminds me of MV's Pirates. It's from about 1:23, and doesn't exactly sound bad, but just sounds similar.

That concerns me a lot at this point.I can't deny either that part of this music sound like it's intended for a Bruckheimer film.Sure,we can make theories that is just a temp. score made by others from Williams sheet music,but what if it isn't?I mean like it or not the MV sound is very "in" right now,who's to say the producers didn't ask Williams to make it sound like that?Of course Williams is certainly able of writing a Pirates sounding kind of score,and he still has to obey the wishes of the producers and director.

K.M.

I don't think so. This music is clearly temp music for the trailer, perhaps based on thematic material by Williams, perhaps not. REmember the RotK trailer? Some fo the music there (during Aragorn's speech) was trailer-only music by someone, the music after that was adapted from the later album track "Minas Tirith", but synthesized, with some typical "MV" bits added (especially the ending). So this is clearly done nowadays.

But SOME of it is Williams sounding,like the chorus theme at 0.50 which turns into the heroic theme at the end.I admit i'm not sure what to make of it right now.

Also,if any of this music was tracked from another movie,someone would have poiunted that out by now.

K.M.

I mean like it or not the MV sound is very "in" right now,who's to say the producers didn't ask Williams to make it sound like that?Of course Williams is certainly able of writing a Pirates sounding kind of score,and he still has to obey the wishes of the producers and director.

Except of course, you don't hire John Williams to score your movie and then ask him to make it sound like someone else's work. When you have the most popular film composer attached to your movie you've hired him for a particular sound and that is what he is going to deliver. Beyond "Something Wicked This Way Comes" we have not heard any underscore to this film yet, and that is fine with me.

Neil

Nah, it's Alex who's in hot water right now. The whole Jurassic Park-gate scandal has boosted me up a few notches.

I will keep you posted as to further developments.

BTW Gary Oldman looks REALLY cool in this trailer.

He just emanates this foreboding feeling.

This movie could really play well off the strength of his performance.

Every single Movie featuring Oldman plays off of the strength of his performance, from Sid & Nancy to The 5th Element to Air Force One to The Contender and even to Hannibal.

So far, from what I've seen, my favorite performance is The Contender. But then again, I've yet to see Immortal Beloved :oops: :)

You know Oldman has been sort of underappreciated lately by Hollywood. Hopefully the success of this movie will bring attention back to him and he will start getting more high profile roles.

Nah, it's Alex who's in hot water right now. The whole Jurassic Park-gate scandal has boosted me up a few notches.

I will keep you posted as to further developments.

LOL

K.M.

Anyone know how much Radcliffe is making for these movies?

I imagine he takes home quite a nice lump of cash for doing these movies still.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got 15 million for the next one.

I think I read that Dan is making about 800,000 for POA.

I'm pretty sure he's got a contract that even covers the possibility of him staying on through the 7th film.

I think I read that Dan is making about 800,000 for POA.

THATS IT!?!?!? REALLY?

Wow! They must have him under some kind of different contract, because I heard Tobey Maguire got 20+ million for the Spiderman sequel.

I'm pretty sure he's got a contract that even covers the possibility of him staying on through the 7th film.

I doubt it, since WB technically only owns the rights to books 1-5.

Kids are notoriously badly represented and managed. Probably his father is getting most of it.

Kids are notoriously badly represented and managed. Probably his father is getting most of it.

Yeah I mean if Arnold Shwarzenegger can get 30 million for Terminator 3, I think Radcliffe deserves better than 800,000 for POA.

He makes even more when you factor in all the merchanidise that's being sold with his face on it.

Yeah I mean if Arnold Shwarzenegger can get 30 million for Terminator 3, I think Radcliffe deserves better than 800,000 for POA.

I don't think any actor deserves 30 million for anything.

Radcliffe made only a small amount for the first film, but then when it became the guaranteed smash-hit it was his pay-check was boosted big time. Personally I don't think anything past 10 million is necessary, the experience and exhiliration they get from acting is more than enough reward. That me though... Always in amateur productions that never get paid :D

Hey magical_me, are you in BLOC's "Jesus Christ Superstar" or in Lyric's "Chicago" because i live in ballarat too and i'm in JC this year. :D

and i agree with magical_me that being an actor and working with all the cast, crew, sets, costumes ect. should be enough.

He makes even more when you factor in all the merchanidise that's being sold with his face on it.

I dont actually think he makes any money off that.

I believe they've got a deal like the one they have with Mark Hamill and the SW cast where they have the right to use their likeness without having to pay them.

Hey magical_me, are you in BLOC's "Jesus Christ Superstar" or in Lyric's "Chicago" because i live in ballarat too and i'm in JC this year.    :sigh:  

and i agree with magical_me that being an actor and working with all the cast, crew, sets, costumes ect. should be enough.

Wow, it's really cool to see someone else from Ballarat here! I'm actually in neither of those shows, my condidence only permits me to do school productions. My school's doing Fame: The Musical though, and I'm playing Schlomo Metzenbaum (though no-one has probably heard of him). Really exciting stuff. I know a lot of people in those two shows, my Drama teacher is playing Billy Flynn in Chicago and a couple other people are in JC.

Yeah one can hardly survive on $800,000 a year.

Justin

Yeah one can hardly survive on $800,000 a year.

Justin

Come on dude be fair!

It these movies are making billions worldwide Radcliffe deserves a better pay check for doing these. :sigh:

Come on dude be fair!  

It these movies are making billions worldwide Radcliffe deserves a better pay check for doing these.

I am being fair.

He's a kid.

He's making $800,000 ;)

Justin