Recently purchased goodies.

A24

Close Encounters/Star Wars. At last! The Charles Gerhardt version.

How to Steal a Million, John Williams.

Spacecamp (LP), John Williams. Now I have the CD and the LP (looks new).

The Eiger Sanction, John Williams. Thank you, Andreas.

Attack of the Clones, John Williams. I finally gave in but at this price it was hard to resist and you never know if an extended version ever will see the light of day.

The Classic Scores of Bernard Herrmann, Citizen Kane. From the Charles Gerhardt series. Supposedly THE version.

THX 1138, Lalo Schifrin.

Medea Ballet Suite/Third Essay/Fadograph of a Yestern Scene, Samuel Barber. No film music but hey!

Concerto for Violin and Orchestra/Concerto for String Orchestra/Adante for Strings, Miklós Rózsa. Again no film music but hey!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the RCA Victor CD or the earlier one?

Stefancos- looking for the earlier version...

Yeah, rumor has it that there was a non-Dolby CD released only in England.

Neil - who has the non-Dolby Return of the Jedi Gerhardt album

Dunno how much you payed, but it's worth every cent.

To this date, it's still my only recording of the outstanding concert version of the Yavin battle.

The Herrmann album is outstanding. The sound (I only know the Dolby version, but I always play those in stereo) is fantastic, and the Kane aria is unbelievable. Shame I'm unable to find the CD in stores, both my CDR copies are faulty.

Marian - still hoping for multichannel DVD-A/SACD releases of the Gerhardt recordings.

The Herrmann/Kane sounds amazing indeed. And to think that it's originally recorded in 1974! That's almost impossible. Just listen to other orchestral recordings of that period.

The Herrmann/Kane sounds amazing indeed. And to think that it's originally recorded in 1974! That's almost impossible. Just listen to other orchestral recordings of that period.

Many of them sound great. The DG Originals for example, or EMI's Great Recordings of the Century. (Though the Herrmann does still qualify as one of the really really good ones from that time)

It's the film score recordings of that era that sound like shit. The question being whether it is just horrible preservation, or if they already sounded bad in those days.

Marian - :|

:sigh: Total Recall (Jerry Goldsmith)

LP's, 70's mastering.... ehh, well I suppose it's still useful to judge the sound quality.....

Gerhardt was an audiophile and you can be assured of a high quality recording anytime you see Kenneth Wilkinson's name on an album.

Neil

Close Encounters/Star Wars. At last! The Charles Gerhardt version.

Dunno how much you payed, but it's worth every cent.

I absolutely abhor the Main Title on this album. This is my least favorite Gerhardt Star Wars disc, I only keep it around to have all three... Gerhardts Return of the Jedi, however, is stunning, and my only complaint is the choice of cues... Why have Ewok Battle AND Forest Battle, Parade of the Ewoks AND Heroic Ewok? If you're going for unreleased cues, why be so repetitive with whats already available? I would like to have seen Gerhardts tracklist look something like this...

1. Main Title

2. Jabba The Hutt

3. Return of the Jedi (sounds even better than Williams/LSO version)

4. Into the Trap/Fight In The Dungeon (I love the combo of these 2 cues)

5. The Rebel Fleet (when they make the jump into Hyperspace)

6. Parade of the Ewoks

7. Luke and Leia

8. Battle In The Forest

9. Final Duel/The Emperor/Through The Flames (where in the film it segues from the Emperors Theme to where Han blows up the bunker, have it instead segue into Through The Flames)

10. Finale

...wishful thinking...

I absolutely abhor the Main Title on this album.

Really, I still think it is the best version that was ever recorded, including all Williams versions.

Why have Ewok Battle AND Forest Battle, Parade of the Ewoks AND Heroic Ewok?

I agree, this is a weakness of this otherwise splendid release.

The TESB recording had a more varied selection.

Anything Williams recorded in that period sound like crap.

The remastered CE3K sounds stunning.

Marian - wishing SW sounded like that.

I wonder what the chances are of someone rerecording the Star Wars scores...? It would be great if Williams would but he'd probably think of it as a waste of time, despite his dozens of recordings of 'Flying' from E.T. Or someone reputable, like McNeely, recording either the whole score or at least 70+ minutes from each one. I'd love to hear a fresh recording of, say, Land of the Sandpeople.

So, you are an expert on 70's mixing and mastering techniques now also?

No, I've just heard some old LP's, and jeeze man. ROTFLMAO Modern re-masters sounded way better...

Nevertheless it's a good indication of the overall recording quality.

The LP of Star Wars does not sound very different then any of the remastered CD releases.

Same with Raiders, same with The Fury, Damien: Omen II...etc...

So, you are an expert on 70's mixing and mastering techniques now also?

No, I've just heard some old LP's, and jeeze man. ROTFLMAO Modern re-masters sounded way better...

You're not an expert, Morn. Pleeeze! BTW, how are those new computer cans of yours?

Maybe, I'm just saying, reason to question it's use as a judgement of the affect of age on the masters... Maybe not.

Alexcremers, who said anything about expert? And cans, that's not fair, I can't afford more. ROTFLMAO

All the SE's sound unnatural, cold, digital and brittle (just compared it with modern recordings and notice that it suffers from exaggerated sizzle and treble) . The standard SW CD with its harsh mid tones sounds terrible too. The LP may sound not as piercing as many other recordings but at least the sound is more natural. It's the only one besides the Gerhardt I can listen to.

----------------

Alex Cremers - grand expert in such matters.

I don't know about those, and have only low qual mp3's of the older CD's and can give only partal judgement of them, and yes they are terrible. But I can say that the SE doesn't sound so bad, nice and clear with a nice smooth pleasant tone, although not perfect, mixing..... sounds a bit aged/poor.

Same with Raiders

The start of "The Well of the Souls" has a much fuller sound on the original Raiders LP compared to the re-master. I should really do an in-depth comparison at some point. I'm just too lazy.

Neil

Play SW SE on a quality set-up and you'll be eating your own words.

It sounds fine on a "regular" audio set up that costs somewere under 1000 Euro's instead of over 100 Euro's.

Stefancos- still trying to decise if "audiophilia" is a disease or a disorder.

It's a habit. I've been raised by an audiophilic parent. With seperate quality components 1000 Euros can be enough to build an interesting set.

It's a habit. I've been raised by an audiophilic parent. With seperate quality components 1000 Euros can be enough to build an interesting set.

Of course, you gotta have seperate components.

Stefancos- who just come to the realisation that his audio set up cost him more then 1000 Euro's. ;)

What's wrong with enjoying music that sounds good?

I can say that the SE doesn't sound so bad, nice and clear with a nice smooth pleasant tone, although not perfect, mixing..... sounds a bit aged/poor.

The only SW SE that sounds smooth and pleasant is ROTJ, and that is so smooth it sounds like a cloud.

The only SW SE that sounds smooth and pleasant is ROTJ, and that is so smooth it sounds like a cloud.

ROTJ:SE sounds like a decent-quality bootleg to me.

What? With the over powered bass and high frequencies and the tinny sound of it..... It sounds anything but smooth. TESB is smooth. ROTJ sounds more modern and I guess more clear, but the EQ's or something is utterly messed up.

I don't have the SE of Return of the Jedi but the SE of The Empire strikes Back doesn't sound smooth at all. There's too much noise and sizzle going on. It would require a more polished and airy sound for that description. I find it unlistenable altogether. At least the standard CD don't have all those annoying artifacts that come with the SE mastering.

Edit: Althought I do admit that some parts sound better than others.

----------------

Alex Cremers- extreme expert in sonic matters.

You're right, but a little background noise is not really the issue here. It's the pumping hiss! Crescendo-like noise is another thing not wanted. The most annoyingly are the sizzles on the flute parts (also heard on new recordings made by Shawn Murphy) and sometimes the string parts, especially the fast parts (which is bow noise but it's been screwed up). There's nothing smooth about the ESB SE recording. Pure sonically, the ESB recording by Gerhardt sounds significantly better.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Yes, they do sound wonderfully clear and amazing, however not perfect the brass is too blaring and the strings sound... bad. TESB does not have those flaws, as I said it has a really lovely smooth tone.

Morn, you're not making any sense. You are saying a severely flawed sound is flawless. Please buy some real speakers and a real CD player and then we'll talk again.

No, I say it has a very very nice tone and balancing but poor hiss, stereo and clearity. :(