Recently purchased goodies.

A24

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, well the sound warmth and tone of the instruments, the EQ's, that's what I mean. Not the overall recording.

Maybe, but devoid of air? What does that mean. :D Hard to describe sound quality with words it is.

No point in me explaining what 'air' is because even if it was there in the ESB recording your computer cans wouldn't be able to reveal it anyway, but trust me, it's a well known Hi-Fi term. :D;)

----------------

Alex Cremers- expert extraordinary

TESB is smooth.

ESB is harsh and shrill - I wouldn't call that smooth, but at least it's clear.

ROTJ sounds more modern and I guess more clear, but the EQ's or something is utterly messed up.

ROTJ is over-smoothed and the least clear of the three, though it's not as bad as recent Murphy recordings.

Marian - who thinks Morn should download new ears. :D

ESB is harsh and shrill - I wouldn't call that smooth, but at least it's clear.

I don't think so, at least it's not tinny, and some instruments show up well in it that don't in TESB.. I don't think it's the clearist....

ROTJ is over-smoothed and the least clear of the three, though it's not as bad as recent Murphy recordings.

It's harsh and tinny, at least it's less muddled than TESB.

It's harsh and tinny, at least it's less muddled than TESB.

Maybe, like toilets, sound moves differently in Australia. Return of the Jedi is not tinny in anyway shape or form. In fact, at times it has very little high frequency content. No lie, the first time I played the SE album on my stereo system I thought my tweeters were broken, due to the lack of high frequencies.

Neil

Maybe, like toilets, sound moves differently in Australia.

Hahaha. That would explain everything.

Return of the Jedi is not tinny in anyway shape or form.  In fact, at times it has very little high frequency content.  No lie, the first time I played the SE album on my stereo system I thought my tweeters were broken, due to the lack of high frequencies.

OTOH, SW SE sounds a bit enhanced in the tweeter domain. It's strange that they didn't apply the same treatment/technique with the other two.

Edit:

A lot depends on your monitors. Some of them can produce a very false image of the truth in providing the listener with a boost in the high and low frequencies but also, at the same time, reducing the mid range (where most of the action is happening). In fact, many people love this particular sound. It works as an enhancer or as a "Loudness". Lots of drive and "boom" in the bass and plenty of "ktssss" in the high content. It's this exaggerated but distorted soundscape that might cover-up flawed recordings. It also disguises harshness.

...and I also added a few DVDs to my collection:

Superman, The Movie

Reservoir Dogs

Star Trek, The Motion Picture

The Graduate

Alien Director's Cut

Aliens Director's Cut

The Usual Suspects

Runaway Train

Great additions. (I have Superman, Reservoir Dogs and The Usual Suspects myself)

I just got Open Range today, and though the movie is far from great, the gunfight at the end is one of the very best ever, and I can't think of any gunfight better.

And I got online, but am still waiting for Patton (out of print 2 DVD version), Moonstruck, National Lampoon's Animal House, The Day of The Jackal, Star Trek VI: The Undiscoverred Country, Jurrasic Park, The Guns of Navarone, Quiz Show and Big Lebowski.

Hey, I'm on a spending roll here. Stop meeeeee!

CD

Christus Apollo, Jerry Goldsmith. SACD

Getz / Gilberto. SACD

DVD

Raging Bull. Special Edition.

The Terminator. Special Edition.

The Boston Strangler.

Sorry Alex, I'm going to take some of your thunder away.

My E.T. 8-track 1982 release CD showed up in the mail today. I'll give it a proper listen (lights down, focusing on the music) as soon as I can, maybe this weekend, maybe next.

After 9 years collecting Williams' music, this was a very long due purchase.

-Ross, who only had the 1996 release up to now.

I've heard that 8 tracks have superior sound to cd's

That's been subject of debate for many years. Is digital better-sounding than analog?

We live in an analog word. An orchestra playing is not digital, it's analog. So then, if you record in analogically, you get all the information from the recording sessions: every sound (including noise) is just recorded on a magnectic tape. Everything from the studio is brought to your home.

Digital recording is a different process. It's converting the signal into a different form. Basically, every X period of time, the conversor just "checks" the signal and translates it intro 0's and 1's.

Now, even though there is a standard on how many "checks" the ADC (Analog-Digital Conversor) does per second, some purists argue that they are not enough, and that there is more information in an 8-track than there is on a CD. They argue it is impossible for an ADC to capture all the sounds on a 44.100Hz quality, be it 16bits, Telarc's 20bits, or 24bits.

My personal opinion is: Gentlemen, please...

My Master and Commander DVD showed up today.  :thumbup:

Neil

(if you got the 2 disc one) how are the special features? what do they cover? since most Weir DVD's have slim to nil in the special features department (I can't think of anything more than a trailer).

Morlock- who just rented the movie today, and still thinks it the best movie of 2003 (and I've gained a whole new appreciation fo the cinematography, the use of music, and the amazing effects)

My Master and Commander DVD showed up today.  :thumbup:

Neil

(if you got the 2 disc one) how are the special features? what do they cover? since most Weir DVD's have slim to nil in the special features department (I can't think of anything more than a trailer).

Morlock- who just rented the movie today, and still thinks it the best movie of 2003 (and I've gained a whole new appreciation fo the cinematography, the use of music, and the amazing effects)

I bought the single disc. I'm going to watch the movie more than the dopey extras, so I'm happier with the $8.

Neil

The extras will only reveal Peter Weir saying that he wanted to transfer Star Trek's The Wrath of Kahn to the far side of the world. :thumbup:

Why don't you do the test? In the same evening, watch Star Trek and then watch Master and Commander. I know you have both movies now.

---------------

Alex cremers

I found myself Schifrin's The Fox, a second-hand Proof of Life (Elfman) and a sealed Stargate! I'm actually glad you overbid me there Morlock!

ROTFLMAO

I also got The Hours sheet music book for piano solo.

This was in Antwerp previous to the concert, so that was really my day...

In fact, many people love this particular sound. It works as an enhancer or as a "Loudness". Lots of drive and "boom" in the bass and plenty of "ktssss" in the high content.  It's this exaggerated but distorted soundscape that might cover-up flawed recordings. It also disguises harshness.

And that's how music is played for demos in electronic stores to hide speaker weaknesses.I had to return several pairs of PC speakers because they sounded fine with Techno pop music in the store,then suck big time when a cello or violins or other mid-range instruments comes on..or it could be that people who make PC speakers don't know orchestral music even exists...

K.M.Who thinks only classical music demands percise hi-fi components

Orchestral music. Is that alright, Steef?

And Mark is correct. Only acoustic instruments recorded naturally can give you a proper sense of sound.

Here's a little advice. Don't buy speakers meant for movies. Sure, they may sound good for movies, but invariably they will be deficient for music reproduction. If all you want is movie sound, that's fine I guess, but a speaker designed for music will also play movies back very well. Remember, movies are not hi-fi in anyway.

Neil

Hey look, a fortune cookie! Let's see what it says:

A cheap surround set doesn't sound automatically better than a pair of good stereo speakers.

Mmmmmm.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Hey look, a fortune cookie! Let's see what it says:

A cheap surround set doesn't sound automatically better than a pair of good stereo speakers.

Mmmmmm.

----------------

Alex Cremers

This is very true.

K.M.Who thinks only classical music demands percise hi-fi components

Jazz does too, and so does blues. Even synth, when done well, can profit greatly from high quality components.

Marian - who enjoys Mike Oldfield on HDCD. :thumbup: