OFFICIAL: Howard Shore To Australia In June

Dean1700

This has been anticipated by fans of LOTR in Australia for many months now. Howard Shore WILL conduct the LOTR Symphony with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, accompanied by the Sydney Philharmonic and Sydney Children's Choirs, an emsemble of over 250 performers, in the magnificent Sydney Opera House.

His performance dates are 17, 18 June at 8pm and Saturday 19 June at 2pm. I'll see all you aussie fans there.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this will be released on CD.

www.musicfromthemovies.com reported a while back that the symphony will in fact be released on CD, and I cannot wait. I'm sure Shore will work wonders with it. Even if it isn't released on CD, I'll stil be going to the Philly Concert in July. When it comes to CD releases though, I'd rather have the complete scores from the films before the symphony, but I hear both are coming out, so that should be nice.

Ted

Why can't he come to Melbourne!!! Nyegh!!

Why can't you come to Sydney?

I'm so annoyed... Oh well, at least I'm going to The Producers later this month...

Going to see, that's a Mel Brooks movie, what, have they made a play out of it?

Anyway brilliant! Gotta visit ticketek now!

Why can't you come to Sydney?

Please, feel free to send me a plane ticket and book me in and pay for a hotel for me. I'm only 16.

Going to see, that's a Mel Brooks movie, what, have they made a play out of it?

Where have you been? It's been a Broadway musical for years now! The recording I first heard was of Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick as principles.

I'm still upset though!

Please, feel free to send me a plane ticket and book me in and pay for a hotel for me. I'm only 16.

Drive over with someone, sleep in the car. :P

Where have you been? It's been a Broadway musical for years now! The recording I first heard was of Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick as principles.

Does it feature dancing stormtroopers in mini-dresses? ;)

Because Amsterdams concert hall is only fine where as Sydney's is magnificent :mrgreen: tic

Why should Howard Shore need to go to Australia when Amsterdam have a perfectly fine concer hall?

Why should Howard Shore need to go to Australia when Amsterdam have a perfectly fine concer hall?

I couldn't imagine Williams, Goldsmith, or anyone else doing a concert in Australia any time soon (or even at all). We deserve this, since we get pretty much nothing.

:mrgreen:

Because Amsterdams concert hall is only fine where as Sydney's is magnificent  :D  tic

Actually that hall has one of the best aucoustics in the world.

The Sidney hall just looks funny.

And there is something sinister about it.

spa_per_soh_02_02.jpg

Can't really put my finger on it....

winsmirk.jpg

Few opera houses look like a pile of tissues. I've never been to Sydney, consequently I've never been to the Opera House. I wonder what it's like... Perhaps my uncle will spring some surprise tickets to the symphony for me, like he did with The Producers. One can only hope!

*EDIT* Wow, this is my 199th post! One more for a milestone! For me, that is.

Well done Stefancos. LOL

Because Amsterdams concert hall is only fine where as Sydney's is magnificent  :D  tic

Actually that hall has one of the best aucoustics in the world.

The Sidney hall just looks funny.

And there is something sinister about it.

Can't really put my finger on it....

Well, I have just booked my ticket for the LOTR Symphony for Saturday 19 Jun starting at 2pm. This is going to be a great experience, even better if I can get to see HS after the show.

Roll on 19th June :D

I saw an ad for this in the paper yesterday. It sure looks promising. ;)

Of course price is a major factor. Let's just check out the website...

Okay. Adult tickets are going for $A 102.20 (Premium) and $A 82.20 (A Reserve). Tickets for children, pensioners and full time-student concession holders are $A 62.20 (A Reserve). My student card expired at the end of March. Yeah, there's no way I'm going. That's almost more money than I would've spent on all three albums (provided they hadn't been birthday gifts ;)). Should be a great opportunity for those who do go though. :)

Drive over with someone, sleep in the car.  :)

Yeah, I think sleeping overnight in a car is illegal ... :P

I've never been to Sydney, consequently I've never been to the Opera House. I wonder what it's like...

I performed in a pantomime thingy in the Opera House with school when I was knee high to a grasshopper. I've seen a play there once as well (also with school), but that's about the extent of my experience - I've certainly never heard any live music there. All I remember is that its 70s style interior decor is wonderfully dated. :D

CYPHER

Please, don't say that. Ever. It's bad enough that Steve Irwin is the Australian Ambassador (not that I don't think he's a cool guy), and we had that episode of The Simpsons. Don't even get me started on Crocodile Dundee...

Please, don't say that. Ever. It's bad enough that Steve Irwin is the Australian Ambassador (not that I don't think he's a cool guy),

Crikey....

and we had that episode of The Simpsons.

This...is for the commonwealth of Australia...

Don't even get me started on Crocodile Dundee...

You guys are luycky, the English had to endure the "Book of British smiles"

I suppose you're right, their Prime Minister had a jet-pack while Englishmen walked the streets kissing each other spontaneously. Our PM wasn't even on the Australia episode, just some guy with a horrible accent that sounded more like a speech impediment. Apparently the writers want to visit Australia again, let's hope they do it right this time...

Firstly: YIPPEE ( preserving a modicum of decendy on this MB prevents me from writing anything else).

Secondly: it looks like I'll have to miss this as I'm going to be overseas on those dates. :) I missed Goldsmith at a film-scoring symposium in Sydney in the mid-80s now this. :cry:

For those of you who go, please enjoy

BTW,

1. Stefan, your slagging of our Opera House was a hoot.

2.Morn, not only is The Producers a stage musical (complete with dancing stormtroopers) but the Lion King is also playing in Sydney at the moment. On stage. Live. ;)

3. Magical_ me, I agree with your comments about our so-called embarrassments, I mean ambassadors. If you're travelling to this shindig in June with a parent/ guardian/ responsible adult- thingy you both can stay in my place while I'm OS. I'm sure the person who's looking after my flat won't mind -even though I've never met you and have utterly no idea who you are. :)

Why do I say these things? I don't know; maybe somebody else on this MB who's going to the LOTR concert can put magical-me up for the weekend.

Cheers....

I think sleeping overnight in a car is illegal

What? Why? 8O

The Producers a stage musical

I hear it has Bert Newton, a very famious aussie comedian.

Lion King is also playing in Sydney at the moment

Eh, Lion King....

I think we got off pretty lightly with Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin as Ambassadors, look what America has Al Bundy and Michael Jackson. :)

I hear it has Bert Newton, a very famious aussie comedian.

Apparently, according to my best friend who is a theatre buff and loves The Producers, he was horrible in the show. I don't know why, I guess I'll find out soon!

"I think we got off pretty lightly with Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin as Ambassadore. Look what America has AL Bundy and Michael Jackson"

I don't mind Paul Hogan. As for Steve Irwin, well I've sort of warmed to him after I saw him and his missus (who I note has a US accent, or is that Canadian?) being interviewed on Enough Rope with Andrew Denton. He had toned down his "Ocker-on-E" persona for the interiew and seemed to be his real self. I suppose that over-the-top Aussie nonsense is just a put-on for when he's performing for the non-Australian masses. I wonder how much of these "personalities " are exaggerated for the small/ big screen. I briefly saw the Fab 5 on Oprah and they didn't seem to be the type of campy screaming queens they present on Queer Eye.

As for Al Bundy and Michael Jackson, well they're works of fiction aren't they? What about Dan Quayle? Roseanne? That married couple who are trying to be pop stars?

As for Al Bundy and Michael Jackson, well they're works of fiction aren't they?

Al Bundy, but he's big for fiction. ;)

He had toned down his "Ocker-on-E" persona for the interiew and seemed to be his real self.

Eh, that's just because he had no snakes or crocs to shout warnings about. :angry:

As for Al Bundy and Michael Jackson, well they're works of fiction aren't they?

Michael Jackson, scarily, is real.

Neil

Oh the Horror! The Horror! ;) And I thought it was just Diana Ross having a bad hair day and not getting out enough in the daytime.

BTW, if there are any medical-types on this MB maybe they can answer somethig for me. Michael Jackson states he has a rare skin problem that bleaches / fades the colour of his skin. I don;t believe this, but perhaps a medical expert can change that. I would have thought that such a conditon would be genetic, and that other members of his family would have this condition.

As for Al Bundy and Michael Jackson' date=' well they're works of fiction aren't they?[/quote']

Al Bundy, but he's big for fiction. ;)

Al is so fictitious that he could be real.

He had toned down his "Ocker-on-E" persona for the interiew and seemed to be his real self.

Eh, that's just because he had no snakes or crocs to shout warnings about. :P

True. True. :)

I just got a notice saying that there will be another concert in Seattle on Thursday the 15th at 7:30. So, if you want tickets, get 'em soon. Also, they've confirmed that illustrations will be shown, not film clips.

In other LOTR news, a PBS documentary on the Montreal concert is being prepared.

• 1 month later...

So the concerts are over. Who went? What was it like? C'mon guys, spill your guts!!! ;)

CYPHER

So the concerts are over. Who went? What was it like? C'mon guys, spill your guts!!! ;)

CYPHER

Yeah, why havent we read Morn's concert review?

Why wait for Morn? We both went to the same concert on Saturday 2pm. There were very few seats that were empty and by all accounts was very entertaining. Apart from liking the entire score to all three films all my favourites were played in the six movements. Because I had never been to such a performance before Howard Shore's movements whilst conducting appeared strange to the uninitiated. Me.

The vocal soloist Katie Noonan performed the vocals that Elizabeth Fraser did on TTT and I thought was extremely good.

Unfortunately I missed out on getting his autograph when he arrived about 1 hour before the concert because not five minutes earlier I checked my bag in that had my LOTR cd's that I wanted to get signed. Major Bummer. Although I did get Katie's autograph.

And since there was a performance at 8 pm that night also he was staying in his dressing room and wouldn't come out until after that performance. I figured if I hung around the show would finish at 10.30pm he may not get out until 11pm or later then I wouldn't get home until about 2am the next morning which would have been almost 8 hours after the concert I saw finished.

Overall a very memorable show. One I wish I could see again.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it was most fun, Katie Noonan is best suited for the soprano style wordless singing at which she was amazing, I felt she was less good than the OST at the enya style and gollums song pieces.

I was quite disapointed at how Howard Shore manages a concert, he went on stage, didn't say a word and waved his hands around without even a baton, bowed and left. I'd have prefered all those jokes and stories and the encores that I hear Goldsmith and Williams provide.

The orchestra was good, the Norwegian fiddle player made many mistakes though. And I felt the brass could have been better, they were too eager to play the normal stuff loud and blaring. And too scared to play the loud stuff loud enough.

I noticed a few parts of unfamiliar probably unreleased music, that was fun.

And after the concert, I walked around the balcony at the back of the concert hall, and what a stunning view of the harbour!

CYPHER, you should have gone, it was a once in a lifetime event, at least for us.