Attention Mr. Cosman!

Harry Potter

On the old board, we had an arguement about whether or not I had heard music from Lord of the Rings. Well, I bought the cd, and I listened to it today, and I can assure you that I was right, because I never heard any of that music on the cd. All the music was new to me.

~Harry

What did I think of the score?

Not much.

For what it's been made out to be, I was expecting some huge, grandiose, awesome score, that even I would enjoy. That's not what I heard. Constantly while listening, I was saying, "This is boring" and wanted to listen to something else. I did listen to all of it, but I wasn't impressed nor turned off. I was even diappointed with the Enya songs, as they don't sound like Enya usually does.

~Harry

:roll:

Harry...Harry...Harry....

When will you learn.

FOTR is not a simple loud and bombastic score that hits you over the head the first time you listen to it.

It's a subtle, delicate piece of art that has to be explored time and again to get to the bottom of it.

You also need to see the the in order to fully judge the score.

Stefancos- wondering why he bothers somtimes.

Learn what? To think like you? I didn't say it had to be a big loud score to get me. It could be soft and emotional and I'll still like it. LOTR just didn't do anything for me. That's all. Not because it wasn't loud and adventurous, but just because I thought it was boring.

~Harry, who got annoyed with some of the vocals on the cd

You yourself have said you prefer loud and bombastric scores, that's why you were dissapointed by The Summ Of All Fears.

And what vocals did you find annoying?

Was it the opressive choir for the Black riders, of that odd solo voice in Lothlorien?

Stefancos- who likes the Enya songs, but thinks she should have sung material based on Howard Shore's themes.

Yes, I have said that I prefer loud action scores, but that doesn't mean that I don't like soft, dramatic scores.

The vocals I found annoying? All of them. That solo kid and those chanty ranty ones found in various tracks.

~Harry

Just to put in my 2 cents, I like FOTR pretty well. But like Harry, I find the frequent use of vocals very overbearing. It's as if Ho Sho, as I call him, was trying too hard to say "I'm writing an epic score! See how I use huge choruses of disonant, powerful voices to create an epic sound? It's very grand and epic like! Did I mention I can now do epic scores?" It gets to be a little much after a while, for me at least.

Ray Barnsbury

LOL. I agree with Ray 100%. "Ho Sho" or "Howie" (as I call him) was out to do just that, much on the advice from Peter Jackson, though. Jackson wanted to make a sweeping epic. He did just that and asked Howie to follow his lead. Howie did just that and it was very very worthy of the nomination. However, a believer (sometimes) of the "less is more" theory, I think Johnny should've gotten the award for A.I..

If A.I. would've been commercially successful, we all would be better off -- especially Johnny.

Director - dismayed at the apparent failure of A.I. with the audience, despite it being one of the best reviewed films of the year...

Making a plug for A.I. I see. :)

Anyway, I agree that A.I. should have taken the Oscar home. I was listening to it the other day at work, and it strikes me hard. The themes in the score are wonderful and very powerful.

~Harry, post 1111 :)

Harry Potter was a much better score than A.I., and LOTR

It should have taken home the Oscar for best score.

Stefan wrote is Gandalf read this he would have been appaled. Probably

But if Dumbledore had read it he would have applauded young Mr. Potter.

Learn what?  To think like you?  I didn't say it had to be a big loud score to get me.  It could be soft and emotional and I'll still like it.  LOTR just didn't do anything for me.  That's all.  Not because it wasn't loud and adventurous, but just because I thought it was boring.

~Harry, who got annoyed with some of the vocals on the cd

Harry, you summed up my thoughts exactly.

I listened to it 3 times and couldn't once find anything that I even remotely liked. It bored me too much. I expected more from an award winning score. Johnny's lesser scores are more exciting and interesting than that.

Needless to say I probably WILL like the movie. I'll watch it on DVD when the time comes.

It bored me too much. I expected more from an award winning score. Johnny's lesser scores are more exciting and interesting than that.

Exactly! I'm glad someone shares my thoughts! What did you think of the vocals on it?

~Harry

It bored me too much. I expected more from an award winning score. Johnny's lesser scores are more exciting and interesting than that.

Exactly! I'm glad someone shares my thoughts! What did you think of the vocals on it?

~Harry

Vocals? I must of fell asleep or turned it off before it got to them. :)

-Chris, Who knows that this burn's Steef's @$$... :mrgreen:

"less is more" theory

I think AI is more though :) More subtle, better written, more complex. LOTR is just louder ;)

"I'm writing an epic score! See how I use huge choruses of disonant, powerful voices to create an epic sound? It's very grand and epic like! Did I mention I can now do epic scores?" It gets to be a little much after a while, for me at least.

It fit the film without seeming over written, blame the film for being epic :mrgreen:

I like the score to Lord of the Rings. I think Leonard Rosenman did a great job!

That's a very good score, but I prefer Shore's.

Morn - Who thinks Rosenman's dark and murky orchestrations are some what ugly

"less is more" theory

I think AI is more though :) More subtle, better written, more complex. LOTR is just louder ;)

"I'm writing an epic score! See how I use huge choruses of disonant, powerful voices to create an epic sound? It's very grand and epic like! Did I mention I can now do epic scores?" It gets to be a little much after a while, for me at least.

It fit the film without seeming over written, blame the film for being epic :mrgreen:

I like the score to Lord of the Rings. I think Leonard Rosenman did a great job!

That's a very good score, but I prefer Shore's.

Morn - Who thinks Rosenman's dark and murky orchestrations are some what ugly

:roll:  

It's a subtle, delicate piece of art that has to be explored time and again to get to the bottom of it.

Well, that bottom is VERY deep :roll:

Subtle, delicate? Man that chorus is yelling not chanting.

If A.I. would've been commercially successful, we all would be better off -- especially Johnny.

Director - dismayed at the apparent failure of A.I. with the audience, despite it being one of the best reviewed films of the year...

I would not be better off if A.I. had been commercially successful. I wasted $16.00 seeing it three times. And it wasn't one of the best reviewed films of the year. It was a mixed reviewed film of the year, and the public rejected it, which is their perview.

Joe, who will take potshots at A.I. come hell or highwater.

I'm glad you know a more subtle way to cheat yours :)

But seriously, the site has been slow lately!

You ask me about me cheating for posts :D And then you do more double posts on that.

I just figured out something. You could delete all those double posts of your as soon as they happen. However, if you delete a post, it deducts that post from your post count, and you wouldn't want that, now would you.

~Harry :twisted: :D

It also doesn't work if you do 3 posts :) They end up looking like 2 posts after you delete em :)

I don't understand. It appears to me that you see you have two posts when there should be one, and then you post a frustrated response to both of them before anyone else posts after you. So why can't you delete the double post?

~Harry

This thread it soooooo meaningless. Watch I'll post a sentence that has just as much meaning as this entire thread.

"SNORT SNORT SNORT SNORT!!"

HAhahahaaaa!!!!!

Justin -A bit tired. :|

MORN

Enough already! This has gone too far. All I wanted was to state my opinion about Lord of the Rings, and you have to take this and many other threads here to this horribly low level. Stop.

~Harry