LOTR Concert in Amsterdam - Shore & Rosenman, plus Christopher Lee

Marian Schedenig

Just read this at TORn:

theonering.net said:
Christopher Lee will make an appearance in Amsterdam on September 9th at the music theater "Concertgebouw". Lee will join conductor Jules van Hessen and the Dutch Theater Orchestra in a LOTR concert. The concert will feature parts from the LOTR score, but also LOTR music composed in 1978 by Leonard Rosenman and musical adaptations of Tolkien poems. He will be performing as 'storyteller' in Johan de Meij's "LOTR symphony", and will recite "Treebeard's song" which he recorded earlier with the Tolkien ensemble. Tickets for the concert are available at concertgebouw.nl.

Shore, De Meij AND Rosenman...and I have no money. What are the chances they'll ever play the Rosenman in concert again?

Marian - wishing he could go.

:P Heavy Metal (Elmer Bernstein)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For dutchies who are going, here is the program.

Programma

The Lord of the Rings in Concert

9-9 2004 Concertgebouw Amsterdam

Nederlands Theater orkest

Christopher Lee, verteller en zang

Jose Scholte, mezzosopraan

Peter Hall,penny whistle,zang

Jules van Hessen, dirigent

Leonard Rosenman

uit the Lord of the Rings (1978):

History of the Ring

Tupper Saussy

Mordor National Anthem:

Blest be our shadowland

dark empty shadowland

profane intruders keep away

or be consuméd...

Mordor our shadowland

most noble barrenland

with great solemnity we pledge

eternal hatred

for the Light that spoils thee.

Caspar Reiff/Peter Hall

Malbeth the Seer?s Words (Christopher Lee) in laatste twee minuten m.m.v. Caspar Reiff, gitaar

Treebeard?s song met Christopher Lee

Howard Shore

Symphonic Suite uit the Lord of the Rings

Arr. Jerry Brubaker

?The Two Towers?

Forth Eorlingas

Evenstar

Rohan-The King of the Golden Hall

The March of the Ents

Isengard Unleashed

Breath of Life

Gollum?s song

Caspar Reiff

Elven Hymn to Elbereth Gilthoniel voor mezzosopraan solo

Sam?s song in the Orc-tower m.m.v. Peter Hall pennywhistle,zang

Eithne Ni Bhraonain/Nicky Ryan

Arr. Larry Moore

May it be (Enya) voor strijkorkest

Howard Shore

Symphonic Suite uit The Lord of the Rings

Arr. John Whitney

?The Fellowship of the Ring?

The Fellowship Theme

The Prophecy

Concerning Hobbits

Three is company

In Dreams

Shortcut to Mushroom

A Knife in the Dark

Argonath

The Breaking of the Fellowship

In Dreams (met mezzosopraan en publiek)

Caspar Reiff/Peter Hall

Verse of the Rings (met Cristopher Lee)

Johan de Meij

Symfonie nr. 1 The Lord of the Rings.

Tekst: David R. Warble & Lawrence Duckles.

Orkestratie: Henk de Vlieger.

Gandalf

Journey in the Dark

- The Mines of Moria

- The Bridge of KHAZAD-DÛM

Lothlorien (the Elvenwood)

Gollum

Hobbits

Anyone familiar with this orchestra?

Roald?

Did Brubaker and co arrange on the original symphony, or did they exactly cut down the movement?

Enne...

met mezzospraan en publiek

Begin maar alvast te oefenen...

All the best!

Did Brubaker and co arrange on the original symphony, or did they exactly cut down the movement?

I dunno.

Forth Eorlingas should not be the opener for the TTT part though, the suite really needs to build to that track.

And no ROTK anywere :cry:

3 words for you.

I...DON'T...SING!

The FotR Suite is the same one we have played with a youth orchestra last year. It's somewhat watered down in parts, in others exaggerated (Like the Fellowship theme with constantly beating snare drum), and the Shire theme appears a little too often for my taste. But otherwise it's quite nice.

Enne...

met mezzospraan en publiek

All the best!

Tells you something about the intelligence in that room. How cheezy.

Next thing you know, we have take our clogs with us for synchronized folkdancing!

• 3 weeks later...

It was pretty cool, though I could have done without the Tolkien Ensemble cues.

The orchestra played outstanding, better then the Flemish Radio orchestra who did the LOTR symphony.

It was pretty shocking to see then go to the TTT suite in like 10 minutes though, and the FOTR one was not much longer.

I would have liked more. (Mind you this is from a person who think Howards Shore's LOTR symphony is at least 2 hours to short)

Also, what asshole came up with the idea to open a suite with Forth Eorlingas?

DeMeij's symphony was OK, but not really my taste, Christopher Lee's narration got some laughs though, especially when he was doing the Gollum voice.

Another great moment in the narration came when he read to us that Gandalf The Grey had returned and was now Gandalf The White, Mr. Lee then left his role as narrator long enough to mention that he always imagined that part was for him, which got some laughs from the audience, and the conductor.

And no, I did not participate in the singing of the Mordor National Anthem.

Afbeelding042-smal.jpg

Afbeelding019-bright.jpg

Interesting resemblance with this picture.

The_Eyes_Shine.jpg

And no, I did not participate in the singing of the Mordor National Anthem.

I think I saw that... :?

I think the mezzo-soprano voice for the singing was a poor choice. The woman who sang might have had a great voice for opera, but not for this music. For God's sake woman, will you please just hold the note!

- Marc

And no' date=' I did not participate in the singing of the Mordor National Anthem. [/quote']

I think I saw that... :?

LOL' date=' when you have a backpack on your lap with an MD player, a microphone and a photocamera then you do not feel inclined to stand up and make a 180 degree turn.

I think the mezzo-soprano voice for the singing was a poor choice. The woman who sang might have had a great voice for opera, but not for this music. For God's sake woman, will you please just hold the note!

True, also in the first part of the concert they did not have the microphone for Lee up loud enough, it was hard to hear what he was saying at times.

BTW Marc.

Were you, like me a bit stumped by the De Meij Symphony?

Lee's Narration takes us to Lorien and introduces the Gollum character, pretty much like in the sequence of the book.

Then we get a minute of 2 of music and suddenly when Lee speaks again, Frodo is on the summit of Mount Doom.

I was thinking WOW...they skipped TTT and most of ROTK completely, that's about 550 pages gone right there.

Also, in the narration, Lee reads about how one of the Dwarfs takes Frodo to have a look at the Mirrormere.

Of course there was only ever one dwarf in the Company to begin with.

The narration is mostly comprised from fragments of the book, but I think they snuck a bit from the animated 1978 film in there.

The part were he mentions that Gandalf has had many name, but that the name Gandalf was his favorite.

I might be mistaken though...Marian?

I don't recall something like that from the animated movie. As far as I remember, it's very close to the book.

De Meij's symphony basically only covers FOTR, as should be obvious from the movement titles. However, I believe you can hear Gollum falling into the crack of doom during "his" movement.

Marian - whose favourite is the Lothlorien movement.

Yes. De Meij indeed skips from Lothlórien (where they also mention one of the Elves in the Fellowship, even though there of course was only one) straight to Mount Doom, where Frodo takes the Ring. Gollum struggles with him, and he falls into the cracks and Frodo's task is done.

Also, I noticed he said the Ring was going to be destroyed by a Fellowship of eight, and that Gandalf said he would help Frodo bear his burden.

I liked to think that De Meij's symphony basically focuses on Sam and Frodo's journey and their relationship.

And Steef, did you like me find those bells at the end of the TTT suite awfully cheesy as well?

- Marc

De Meij's symphony basically only covers FOTR, as should be obvious from the movement titles. However, I believe you can hear Gollum falling into the crack of doom during "his" movement.

It also includes Frodo's and Sams return to the Shire, and Frodo's journey into the West.

Yes. De Meij indeed skips from Lothlórien (where they also mention one of the Elves in the Fellowship, even though there of course was only one)

Don't they know the Tolkien fanbase is extrememly anal and hate mistakes like this?

And Steef, did you like me find those bells at the end of the TTT suite awfully cheesy as well?

- Marc

I did, and i'm not sure I like the use of the snaredrum in the FOTR suite, since Shore seems to have gone out of his way NOT to employ them.

I noticed that too, but I liked hearing it just once.

The woodblocks were all over the place as well, and I hated it. Shore uses them pretty much only in Fangorn, and they should stay there. Concerning Hobbits was a mess.

Well the FOTR suite was done before TTT was even finished I guess.

Of course these suites are very limited in a way but it was very cool hearing The Fellowship Theme in full brass in the Concertgebouw.

Those acoustics really beat the rather lousy experience I had at the Sportpaleis in Antwerpen.

I'd really love to hear the Howard Shore LOTR symphony in a real concert hall once.

Also what amazes me is how good this orchestra was, i'm pretty spoiled, seeing the LSO 3 times, but the Nederlands Theater Orkest sounded very good.

Well the FOTR suite was done before TTT was even finished I guess.

I'm not sure I'm following you here...

Of course these suites are very limited in a way but it was very cool hearing The Fellowship Theme in full brass in the Concertgebouw.

Those acoustics really beat the rather lousy experience I had at the Sportpaleis in Antwerpen.

I'd really love to hear the Howard Shore LOTR symphony in a real concert hall once.

Also what amazes me is how good this orchestra was, i'm pretty spoiled, seeing the LSO 3 times, but the Nederlands Theater Orkest sounded very good.

This was only my 2nd film music concert (the first one being the Sportpaleis, although I have also attended two showing of Chaplin films with live orchestra) and this was so friggin' cool.

My next goal is to hear the Raiders' March live. That would be awesome!

- Marc, who might have to go to London after all... ;)

It also includes Frodo's and Sams return to the Shire, and Frodo's journey into the West.

Hmm, does it? I must check the ending of Hobbits again.

Marian - who always thought of that movement as simple "overall hobbit music".

better then the Flemish Radio orchestra who did the LOTR symphony.

I think that that was to blame to the very bad soundmixing at the Sportpaleis.

I think Shore thinks that the Flemish Radio Orchestra is very good, because he hired them to perform the music of The Aviator soundtrack