What is the last score you listened to?

Johnnyecks

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willow

This was the first time that I've heard the score outside the film, and I am suitably impressed. Wonderful stuff. Willow's theme is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. The rest of the themes are good too, this score has a nicely deep thematic structure. Yeah, the Bavmorda/Nockmar theme is a rip of Khan's theme, but that's par for the course with Horner. And the action cues get a little repetative with a whole lot of pounding going on. But overall this is an excellent score, and probably my favorite Horner score, even more than Star Trek II.

But I have to ask, again, what happened to this James Horner? Was he kidnapped by aliens? Is he off scoring 4D holoflicks in the Mogadon Cluster while we're stuck with a lazy duplicate that seems content to write the same score over and over?

Before RoTS, The Aviator. Howard Shore's one friggin' great film composer. This is, excluding Patton, probably the greatest biographical score ever. Shore captured Howard Hughes. I'm listening to the spirit of Howard Hughes. I've had all the LoTR I can hanlde for the next couple of years, but Shore just pulled this one out of nowhere. One fantastic score in the film, and a fantastic listen as well. I am now looking forward to his King Kong a lot more (even though I'm still not excited about the film).

His theme does sound very LoTR-ish (especialy with the string accompaniment), but it's really grown on me as The Aviator theme. He just does so much great stuff with it.

I guess people now want Shore to only score big epic stuff.

A shame as I always preferred his more intimate scores, particularly Nobody's Fool, Dead Ringers and The Yards

The Moscow Symphony / Stromberg Adventures of Robin Hood was the last score I listened to and a superb job was done by all - very good re-recording that comes close to Gerhardt's precision.

Of new material, Carter Burwell's Kinsey is worth a listen - a delicate and effective theme for piano and strings.

- Tim.

Now that this thread's back up, some stuff that I've listened to for the first time the last week or so:

Galaxy Quest- Great, fun score, just like the movie. The main theme is good if a bit repetative, but you're going to get that with one theme scores (too many years of being spoiled with Williams and his wonderful secondary themes). This one hits all the right notes.

The Last Starfighter- The main theme is good, but the score as a whole really didn't grab hold of me. There's a couple of good action cues, but the rest was kind of blah. And the occasional electronic effects are jarring and just plain horrible, no Goldsmith electronics for sure. There's one part in an early cue that sounds like ducks are being squeezed to make them quack. :wave:

Back to the Future trilogy- Worthy of all the praise it gets. The main theme is a film score legend. On first listen BTTF 2 is the one I enjoyed the most. I'm not going to say it's the best, just the one I had the most fun with on first listen. The new "western" main theme in BTTF 3 is really good and underused.