What is the last score you listened to?

Johnnyecks

music.gif "Evil Ending/End Credits" - the last twenty seconds are amazing

Yes they are. I love how he used the Force theme in the game too. Hopefully the score for the second game will be as good.

John- who hasn't played KOTOR in a while as his computer has a hissy fit every time he tries. :(

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm listening to the complete The Witches of Eastwick right now. I listen to this way too little. There's some amazing stuff here, and I'm loving every minute of it right now. :wave:

:( John Williams - The Ride Home from The Witches of Eastwick

I'm listening to Chris Lennertz's score to Medal of Honor: Rising Sun and liking it very much, even the Giacchino homage in Nazi Disguise which is nice.

:music: Christopher Lennertz - Yamashita's Gold from Medal of Honor: Rising Sun

I'm listening to Chris Lennertz's score to Medal of Honor: Rising Sun and liking it very much, even the Giacchino homage in Nazi Disguise which is nice.

:music: Christopher Lennertz - Yamashita's Gold from Medal of Honor: Rising Sun

The buzz is that Chris Lennertz is already being called the new Michael Giacchino.

But is he a talented composer in his own right, or just re-hashing Maestro Giacchino's style?

I listened to The Search for Spock recently. "Stealing the Enterprise" is an awesome cue. And I really love the way Horner integrated the TOS theme into the end titles. Hmm...Horner using someone else's music and we're supposed to recognize it. Weird. :|

Now I'm listening to Aladdin. Alan Menken is really, really good. He totally deserved the Oscars he got for this score.

I listened to The Search for Spock recently. "Stealing the Enterprise" is an awesome cue. And I really love the way Horner integrated the TOS theme into the end titles. Hmm...Horner using someone else's music and we're supposed to recognize it. Weird.  :|

Horner swears he never heard Courage's Fanfare from Star Trek. 8O

Neil

Yes they are. I love how he used the Force theme in the game too. Hopefully the score for the second game will be as good.

Did you notice all seven statements of the Force theme? Most of them are blink-and-miss. The main theme even shows up once in the Star Forge space battle, and arguably it's in the end credits (7:28-7:34).

Capricorn One and Chinatown.

This is the genius of Jerry Goldsmith.

I couldn't agree more.

Today at work I listened to Back to the Future Parts II and III.

Neil

I just listened to The Fury for the first time. All the positive comments about it pushed me into trying it, and I was not disappointed. The main theme is one that will stay with you for a long, long time. :jump:

I got the Manchurian Candidate 1964-2004 soundtrack, collects both films scores on one CD.

Rachel Portman's stuff in particular is great with my favorite being "I am the Enemy, Major Marco"

Just the piano solo is great.

Max

I guess nobody's listened to any scores in the last week... :spiny:

I've listened to Star Wars: TESB, Live and Let Die, Star Trek: TMP, and Nixon. Those last two are new aquisitions.

Ozzel - Who waits for the :sigh: for not owning TMP until now

Recently I've listened to Sky Captain, Edward Scissorhands, and Heartbeeps (all Christmas acquisitions). And also Big Fish, because I just watched the movie. Wonderful score!

Ray Barnsbury

This week I've been listening to CE3K, HPPS, the LotR trilogy, ST:TMP, ID4, ESB, Batman, Roger Rabbit, Braveheart, Hunt for Red October, Conan, and a bit of HPPoA. :spiny:

- Marc

:sigh: James Horner - The Secret Wedding from Braveheart

Lately, I've been revisiting all of my sci-fi scores.

Listened to Independance Day by David Arnold for the first time in a loooong while on the weekend. Also, CE3K by JW was in there as well. I've been going through a Bond spell recently also. Had my "special edition" of FYEO and The Living Daylights running recently.

Dances with Wolves... About time I got a Barry score in my collection.

You....have.....no.....Barry....Bond....scores????

Isn't that illegal in England?

Neil

"You know what's great about you English? Octopussy. Man, I must have seen that movie... twice."

Neil, I'm just not much of a Bond fan I'm afraid, though I'm planning to pick up a few of them in time. What would you recommend?

I just finished my first listen of Yared's rejected Troy. Good stuff, and very epic. I don't feel that my life has changed after hearing it, but it certainly was a crime that they dumped it and him for the four-note motif. :roll:

Neil, I'm just not much of a Bond fan I'm afraid, though I'm planning to pick up a few of them in time. What would you recommend?

In no particular order...

From Russia With Love

Goldfinger

Thunderball

You Only Live Twice

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Diamonds Are Forever

The Man With The Golden Gun

Moonraker

Octopussy

A View To A Kill

The Living Daylights

If you like those you may also want to check out:

Live and Let Die

The Spy Who Loved Me

For Your Eyes Only

Licence to Kill

Tomorrow Never Dies

The World is Not Enough

Die Another Day

If you are a completist also get Dr. No and GoldenEye.

Neil

I'm still happy I've never seen a Bond movie all the way through (only seen parts of GoldenEye and some of Diamonds are Forever) nor owned any scores

I've been listening to the 20th Anniversary Edition of E.T. which I'm very happy with

Max

I had written a witty reposte to Neil's post about buying GoldenEye, but I re-thought matters in the interest of good taste and friendly relations......

To add concienciously to the thread (nope, I don't think that's spelt right either.....), I have Dracula sitting in my CD player at work, and have been merrily listening to Towering Inferno whilst cooking dinner.....not one I listen to often, but every time I hear it I wonder why....

I'm still happy I've never seen a Bond movie all the way through

What would make you say a really dumb thing like that?

Today at work I played The Star Wars Trilogy (Kojian), the complete score plus alternates to Star Trek - The Motion Picture, the rejected Troy and am now playing Uncommon Valor.

Neil

I'm still happy I've never seen a Bond movie all the way through (only seen parts of GoldenEye and some of Diamonds are Forever) nor owned any scores

Some people, eh? I have to say that if you ar proud never to have sat through Goldfinger then you have gone wrong somewhere.....defining moments of cinema and all that motherjazz....

I've been listening to the 20th Anniversary Edition of E.T. which I'm very happy with

The man has good taste.......apart from the Bond thing........

From Russia With Love

Goldfinger

Thunderball

You Only Live Twice

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Diamonds Are Forever

The Man With The Golden Gun

Moonraker

Octopussy

A View To A Kill

The Living Daylights

Yet still, I detect a pattern here... :P

I have been merrily listening to Towering Inferno whilst cooking dinner.

Sounds like a dangerous combination to me. Or do you cook electrical?

- Marc, wondering why he's being such a smartypants. :|

:) John Williams - Far From Home/E.T. Alone from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (20th AE)

For the first time in a long time ;) I have listened to The Patriot. Back when I bought it, I listened to much of it and didn't really care much for it. But now... for some reason... I really like it.

But is it me, or does one of the themes sound almost identical to one of the movements in "Unifinshed Journey"? I can't find out right now exactally which one, because that cd was stolen, but I remember hearing it towards the end.

Right now I'm listening to Tyler Bates' Dawn of the Dead. A nice approach. Very atmospheric... sounds a lot like Beltrami did the score, but it is a good listen and am pleasantly surprised!

Shade

Didn't really care for it!

Thanks to the ever-generous Mr. Stefan Cosman, I have been in posession of this score for quite some time. :D

- Marc

:D Propellorheads vs. John Barry - On Her Majesty's Secret Service

But is it me, or does one of the themes sound almost identical to one of the movements in "Unifinshed Journey"? I can't find out right now exactally which one, because that cd was stolen, but I remember hearing it towards the end.  

Yeah, I think it's the Civil Rights movement, opening with that horn theme that's very close to The Patriot (and Amistad, for that matter).

Ray Barnsbury

Well, the title of Greatest Star Wars Score Not Written by John Williams, formerly held by Joel McNeely's Shadows of the Empire, has just been taken in my mind, by:

Jeremy Soule's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

I was always impressed with the score playing the game (well, there's nothing in that game that didn't impress me), but thanks to Cerrabore I just finished a first listen of the score on CD, complete with ripped cutscene music. Wow. The Force Theme is wonderfully incorporated, there's some great new themes, rocking action music. It's Star Wars through and through. And the Dark Side ending is a great first stab at what an Ep. III finale might sound like (think dark chorus, and lots of it!). Highly recommended. :)

I just got Raiders of the Lost Ark (yeah, stop staring) in a trade with John here. Really awesome score, I'd studied it as closely as I could in the film, which I've had for a year, but there are some things that you can only hear on a CD...

Well, the title of Greatest Star Wars Score Not Written by John Williams, formerly held by Joel McNeely's Shadows of the Empire, has just been taken in my mind, by:

Jeremy Soule's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

I was always impressed with the score playing the game (well, there's nothing in that game that didn't impress me), but thanks to Cerrabore I just finished a first listen of the score on CD, complete with ripped cutscene music. Wow. The Force Theme is wonderfully incorporated, there's some great new themes, rocking action music. It's Star Wars through and through. And the Dark Side ending is a great first stab at what an Ep. III finale might sound like (think dark chorus, and lots of it!). Highly recommended.

I didn't like the dark side ending too much, sounded cliché. And it's mostly a refrain of "To the Bridge!" By the way, John, listen closely to the last ten seconds of CD 2 Track 32, "Forward!" I think you'll like what you hear. :mrgreen:

If anyone is interested in trading for this complete score, feel free to e-mail me or whatever...but keep in mind that if you have the game, you can do it yourself:

1. Download Miles Sound Tools.

2. Use it to decompress the following WAV files in your SWKotOR/streammusic directory:

- Numbered cues. These underscore in-game cutscenes. NOTE: Some do not contain any music; don't bother with these ones of course.

- mus_*

- credits

- evil_ending

NOTE: When I tried to decompress 57.wav, credits.wav, and evil_ending.wav, I got corrupted files, presumably because the files were too large for Miles to process. If this happens to you, then set a recording program to record "What U Hear" or "Stereo Mix," then play the files through Miles. Then save the recordings as WAV files.

3. Download Rad Video Tools.

4. Set a recording program to record "What U Hear" or "Stereo Mix" and then play every cutscene in your SWKotOR/movies directory, saving each recording as a WAV file. You can skip the last seven files, which are the logo screens, the Yavin IV cutscenes (same music as Tatooine, although I actually used the Yavin IV version because it had, I think, less sound effects - your call), and some advertisements.

5. Put it in order as best you can.

Batman Returns - Danny Elfman again

I love the penguin theme so much, it just fits with him totally. The whole la-la choir used is also great, I like how much darker it is from Batman, and Selenas theme is definately eerie.

Presumed Innocent. I can not praise this score enough. Whenever anyone says JW can only score a motion picture with brass and drums. Throw this in their face. Easily the finest example of JW knowing how to score a film. Brilliant in every concievable way. A perfect theme. Completly brilliant.

Justin - Who didn't praise it enough.....

Following my now long-running Elfman kick, I've been listening to both Spiderman scores nonstop lately. Very interesting stuff, I like the motif-oriented thematic material.

I was wondering if there are any analysis available online.

The Patriot, although I was listening to JW Greatest Hits (69-99) (disc 1) on my way home today. I believe I was on Parade of the Slave Children when I arrived.

Let's see...

The Phantom Menace - yes, the ultimate edition (with the OST concert versions at the end). Until I can get JPB and finish the all the editing, this will have to do.

Diamonds Are Forever - this thing just keeps getting better. Wonderful score.

Right now I'm on A New Hope (about half-way through). I think I had a little too much fun reciting dialogue along with the score while listening on the way home (especially with the first Cantina song, which included most of the alien dialogue as well). I do a mean Momaw Nadon. :)