Aunt Marge's Waltz

Josh500

I'm constantly listening to it right now, I think it's one of the best pieces JW wrote in recent years!!! It's so funny, ingenious, and uplifting! (If you ask me JW deserves an Oscar just for this waltz, along with Double Trouble). Has JW ever written a classical waltz like this before? Nothing comes immediately to mind . . .

LOL

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked how he used it in The Paper Chase because there were some whimsical scenes where the classical music appropriately suggested the Harvard Law School pretensiouness, at the same time giving an orchestral wink at the comedy that?s unfolding.

He?s also used that kind of thing in some of his early comedies. The strangest use was when he combined mock classical music with Row, Row, Row Your Boat in Not With My Wife you Don?t. My favorite is the caper cue in Fitzwilly that combines the main theme with these kinds of gestures.

I'm not really recalling any waltzes, though. Its not normally something that you'd imagine working well as underscore although with the Aunt Marge scene I thought it funcioned well. Its almsot like a parody of the 2001 waltz music that was meant to speak to the idea of weightlessness. Instead of a ship floating around its Aunt Marge.

- Adam

Well,there was "The Weightless Waltz" from the Lost in Space pilot.It's similar to Aunt Marges Waltz used in a similar comical way when the spaceship loses power and the crew floats around just before mayhem happens.

K.M.

And ... it's the best scene in the film. I also like how Harry leaves "home" with his suitcase in the dusky twilight and that Aunty Balloon is still floating sky-high while Harry pays absolutely no attention to her. Oooh, I only wish he didn't go to that damned school.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Has JW ever written a classical waltz like this before? Nothing comes immediately to mind . . .

Festivity in Thornfield on Jane Eyre. Take a listen to it, it's probably the most professional piece a film composer has ever written. (and this was written before Jaws!)

Has JW ever written a classical waltz like this before? Nothing comes immediately to mind . . .

Festivity in Thornfield on Jane Eyre. Take a listen to it, it's probably the most professional piece a film composer has ever written. (and this was written before Jaws!)

I forgot about that one. Its very professional, as you say, since its source music and he was able to use a string quartet. About the only example I can think of now of classical sounding music that he's written with a straight face, whereas its usually kind of tongue in cheek.

That cue reminds me of another source cue, Jabba?s Palace background music, which is kind of a classical waltz in its meter and in its orchestrations, albeit of a deliberatly alien sounding type.

- Adam