War of the Worlds . . . success or flop?

Josh500

War of the World will be a . . .  

21 members have voted

1. 1.

• . . . smash-hit à la Jurassic Park and E.T.
    • . . . mediocre success à la Minority Report and Catch me.
    • . . . mediocre flop à la A.I and The Terminal.
    • . . . flop à la 1941 and Empire of the Sun.

I haven't seen the trailer yet and I don't know WHAT I think, but in Spielberg's case all bets are off. But considering the budget (200 mill.?) I think it would have to be a success of Jurassic Park-like proportions in order to even break even, let alone make some money. While Minority Report was a decent enough movie, it wasn't the all-out success everyone was shooting for. I certainly hope that people are gonna want to watch alien invasions in the summer 2005.

What do you think?

:mrgreen:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minority Report did modestly at the BO, but Catch Me If You Can did quite well. Either way, I don't think $130 million is mediocre, even if it Spielberg.

I can't seem to get too worked up about the movie itself, I'm not quite sure how it's going to be great, I'm frankly more enthused about the ad campaign, so I picked the rephrasing of the second option. IMO, the $130 million or so is the bare minimum this film will pull. The film's budget (approx. $130 Million), I believe Spielberg's largest to date, will make it harder for this film to be a real hit, but there's always great potential- Minority Report did not look very good to me, though I loved the ad campaign, but when I saw it, I was awed by it. So WoTW might be the same thing. Every single Spielberg film I've seen has met or exceeded my expectations, even if it took a whole bunch of viewings in order to do so (SPR, CE3K, AI).

I'm pretty sure it will be big hit.By the looks of the teaser trailer this is the kind of film that made Spielberg popular and it's been a while since he made that kind of film.

K.M.

It just what the masses ordered. Records will be pulverised. The crowd will no longer see Roland Emmerich as their top entertainer. Today's teenagers will learn of the name Spielberg and add it to their daily vocabulary.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The crowd will no longer see Roland Emmerich as their top entertainer.

Then at least it'll serve a just cause.

Morlock- who gets slightly ill passing The Day After Tomorrow at the DVD store.

Minority Report did modestly at the BO, but Catch Me If You Can did quite well. Either way, I don't think $130 million is mediocre, even if it Spielberg.

Well, after the monster hits of Jaws, E.T., CE3K, the Indiana Jones-Trilogy, Jurassic Park, The Lost World, and Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report WAS only a mediocre success -- at least by Spielberg's standards. (For any other director except for a few, it would have been a hit, but IMO Spielberg is very much playing in a league of his own.)

I believe that WotW WILL be a big hit, actually, if only because a movie like that by Spielberg (as opposed to The Terminal) is going to have a HUGE ad campaign. That's part of the reason why Jurassic Park was such a monster hit (no pun intended), after all. Who knows, maybe it'll even create a mass panic at the theaters among the earthlings and surpass Titanic at the box office.

:mrgreen:

Josh, who sincerely hopes that JW will be a part of this project.

Hit. (Where'd that term come from anyway?)

Spielberg's not a guy who gets lucky when he gets a lot of money to make a movie and it actually turns out to be pretty good. He's in control of the quality of his movies. I would think he's got a vision he's really sold on to ask for this much money to make a movie. If not, he'd just ask for a smaller amount and would do with it what he could. I think this is what people accuse Spielberg of doing when his films flop--lack of vision.

"You have the paid the price for your lack of vision!"

Somewhere between a flop and a smash.

Justin - Who can't believe he just said that....

....but not more or less than that? Sounds pretty rigid to me.

It just what the masses ordered. Records will be pulverised. The crowd will no longer see Roland Emmerich as their top entertainer. Today's teenagers will learn of the name Spielberg and add it to their daily vocabulary.

----------------

Alex Cremers

yes but this confectionary will have flavor and substance, unlike ID4, which despite it being what it was, was very good at what it was.

Joe, who thinks twinkies are fine from time to time

I think it'll be a hit, but that has little bearing on whether it'll be any good. I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the concept of bad aliens in a Spielberg movie. Aliens=good in Spielberg Land.

Yes,but that's what interesting.It will be an Anti-Close Encounters.Though in CE3K were not sure in the first half of the movie if the aliens are good or evil.The abduction of Barry scene was pretty scary.

K.M.

The abduction of Barry scene was pretty scary.  

utterly terrifying, great overall sequences.

Joe, watching Eric Cartman sing O' Holy Night, but not knowing any of the words.