New York or California?

QMM

New York or California?  

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• California
    • New York

I'm taking this off of an identical post that Nick made at Newsarama.com

but since I also want to go into film(and film music composition) I wanted to post this here since I

value everybody's opinions here a lot

I just wanted to get everybody's opinion on something.

For those that don't know I'm a junior in high school right now and I'm currently looking at colleges to go to. I want to get into the film industry so I've narrowed the colleges down to 3: NYU, USC, and UCLA. I've already asked an industry professional on which college to go to and he reccommended any of those 3, his favorite being UCLA or USC. Now assuming that I could go to any of the colleges, which one do you think I should go to? I'm leaning towards New York because it just appeals to me a lot more (and it seems, idk, safer)I'd be near Broadway, Midtowncomics, and lots o other cool stuff. I wouldn't have to drive, I think the college is pretty close to some entertainment businesses. On the other hand, UCLA and USC would be really close to Hollywood and I could maybe get an internship on some productions, which you really can't do in New York. Other than that, I can't think of any other positives for UCLA and USC.

So please respond and let me know your opinions!

As a side note, the industrial professional we've asked is David Koepp

So I look forward to everybody's replies

Max

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I am the most hard core new yorker around - born raised - goes into severe depression when the yankees or rangers lose - LA is the place to be though if you want to work in the industry. 80 percent of the jobs are there.

I voted California. I'm in a similar boat, possibly, but, frankly, undergraduate doesn't matter. A good, strong music education anywhere will suffice. Graduate is where it counts, and it seems to me that California would be the better choice in regards to film work because of the connection to Hollywood. I have heard of people going right from USC or UCLA to working under people like Danny Elfman as ghost writers and other assitance positions. I know nothing of how New York might work out. It seems to me that LA would be more dangerous, but making good choices can keep you safe. I think that one can't go wrong with any of those three schools, though.

~Conor

Ahh yes, that's what I meant, cross out Melbourne. Come to Sydney, sometimes called tropical new york. :) The downtown here is bigger than lower manhatten. There is also the Australian Film Television and Radio School in Sydney. Because of the friendly to celloid climate, Sydney has become a popular place to film holywood films such as star wars and the matrix.

I voted for California, just because it's closest to Hollywood

But I live like 7000 Km far from California, so maybe I'm not that expert. But California is still closest to me than Sydney :)

I'll be going to the USC and UCLA campuses over Spring Break and I need some questions to ask them so if anybody has any good ones I'll appreciate it very much.

I've heard some very disheartening things about UCLA (which I was considering for grad school), but Conor is right, undergrad it doesnt so much matter. My advice is to come down to Providence and party with me.