The moment has come...

John McClane

They weren't in foolscreen, there were the black stuff above and below the image.....(I just don't know how to call it)

But yeah, they were in Italian. I couldn't hope to see them in English on the Italian TV!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?!? So you look the movies with subtitles?!?

I never heard anything like this. And what happens when you are too slow to read? I mean, you know English pretty well so maybe you don't even need to read, but I don't think every Dutchman knows English perfectly... ;)

And yes you rock, but not as much as we do!! :D

Now Stefan will comes to defend you. :sigh:

Now everybody will come here saying his country rocks more than the others...

But I bet we have better dubbers than France. No need to get offended by this neither. :D

I never heard anything like this. And what happens when you are too slow to read? I mean, you know English pretty well so maybe you don't even need to read, but I don't think every Dutchman knows English perfectly...  :D

No but being exposed to the English language from an early age certainly helpsd, I learned all my English from Transformers and the DJ Cat show on Sky Channel.

As for dubbing, I think most people here have no problem reading them.

I can read one or 2 lines of text with a simple glance.

You become used to it I guess.

It's really much much better than that awful dubbing... Especially in Italian or Spanish for that matter.

It's really much much better than that awful dubbing... Especially in Italian or Spanish for that matter.

Wrong.

I can't compare Star Wars in English and Star Wars in Italian, since I never saw them in English.

But all I can say is that Italian dubbers are very good. The voices are very espressive. The Italian Simpsons are the best non-English dubbed, the voices are very similar to the original. In the Spanish Simpsons, Homer's and Marge's voices are a lot different than the Ameican's.

Dubbing is a difficult work, Italian isn't awful at all.

It's probably because in others countries dubbing is as common as subtitles here in Holland, but I can't imagine why anyone would prefer a dubbed-version of an American film over the original spoken version.

Roald

P.S. Tommy; did you see La Vita E Bella? I prefer to see that one in Italian instead of the Hollywood dubbing. GREAT film!

P.S.2 Tommy; do you also like Ennio Morricone?

All dubbing is awfull, you have just been conditioned to think otherwise.

Yeah, but how can a Dutch understand a film if don't know any English and he's blind? :sigh:

No seriously, the first time I see a film, I see it in Italian. It make me appreciate the film. Then, from the second time, I watch it in English, because I already know the dialogues and it's better with the original voices.

Roald, yes, I saw La Vita è bella in the cinema when it came out. Obviously I never see the American-dubbed version, there's no need to! (but I read it sucked, and that's the main reason because "Pinocchio" was a big flop).

Americans love the Italian version because Benigni's voice and accents are very particular and impossible to dub.

For example, Sean Connery's Italian dubber is very good, but the original voice is something impossible to emulate. I mean, listen to the way Connery say the letter "S" in his Scottish accent!!

And yes, I like Morricone. :D

I have never seen a film where the dubbed version was better than the subtitled. This especially applies to Japenese films, I've found. Spirited Away, for instance, is wonderfully voice-acted, but sounds just awful dubbed over by American actors.

The main reason because I like DVDs, is that it's the only chance I have to hear the real vioces of the actors. I perfectly know all the Indy dialogues, so I don't need subtitles to watch the films and I'll never watch them in Italian in the future, that's for sure.

The only time I remember an Italian dubbed voice better than the original is when Indy is in the Well of the Souls and he's talking with Belloq. He says "ah ah ah, son of a b**ch!". This is the only line I prefer in Italian, but you should listen to the Italian laughing to understand...

Yeah, but how can a Dutch understand a film if don't know any English and he's blind?  ;)

Why would you watch a movie if you're blind? :D

But really, all dubbing is horrible, no matter how good it is. And those two teeny tiny lines of text are easy to read in a glance. Steef already said it. It's very easy, and being exposed to foreign languages (English in particular in this case) at an early age improves the lingual feeling. That's why I think they should stop dubbing all those cartoons here (animation shows are still all dubbed, with the exception of the more adult stuff like The Simpsons, Futurama or Family Guy). I was never bothered by the fact that it was English. What the hell do I care? I was five years old, all I saw were the flashy colors. But that's just me talking I guess.

- Marc, who learned his English off of movies and Thunderbirds. :sigh: