2005 JWFan Composition Competition

Bowie

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did nobody participate? I didn't receive any entries.

Again, as said in the other thread (there are/were too many threads about this...), please mail your entries ASAP to

chris.afonso AT b-jo.de (attachments up to 10MB)

Greets,

Chris

The only one I know for sure had something in the works, is Jesse Hopkins. Jesse?...

Guys, I have to say I'm sorry I crapped out. I only have a little bit of it done. I decided I couldn't take on another deadline this month.

But here is what I wrote!

Its only 45 seconds long, but makes use of the old Imperial motif, in a heroic mode, for the moment that Yoda appears from the skies with the clones. It's called "Yoda to the Rescue"

Its only a day's work. But I hope you like what little of it there is. Its not elligible for the contest because of the shortness. And a couple moments aren't totally fleshed out.

Enjoy!

http://www.composerarts.com/yodatotherescue.mp3

Very interesting... I like the idea of Yoda march a great deal especially coming out of that march structure I associate with Luke's theme... and I never thought I'd hear that Imperial motif again. Thanks for putting that up.

I do plan on actually scoring the thing for my own enjoyment. It will go into more action packed music of my own design.

The idea of the Yoda march coming out of the idealistic ANH structure came from an idea I had that this is Yoda's "Bespin". He rushes to save his friends, in my opinion, something altruistic, but warned against later on. I also thought Yoda's theme needed to be established in the prequels, rather than just quoted.

The old Imperial theme was used alot for stormtroopers, so I thought it was interesting to introduce it as a "here comes the cavalry theme." Using refreshing, major keyed music in AOTC during that scene would help the audience feel the relief of the heroes being saved, as well as functioning as a red herring to make people less suspicious of them had they not seen Episodes 4-6 first.

Impressive :mrgreen: I like it a lot (but how come the imperial motive sounds a bit like Zelda3's Hyrule Castle Fanfare? *g* and the Ben Hur quote was so obvious, is has to be intentional, right?)

Well, since nobody else has sent any entries :/ I guess you will be the winner of this competition, despite your cue being so short...

Impressive :mrgreen: I like it a lot (but how come the imperial motive sounds a bit like Zelda3's Hyrule Castle Fanfare? *g* and the Ben Hur quote was so obvious, is has to be intentional, right?)

Well, since nobody else has sent any entries :/ I guess you will be the winner of this competition, despite your cue being so short...

LOL

LOL

The Ben Hur thing... I wasn't sure how obvious it was, but I guess it was pretty much there!

I was planning on transitioning differently there once I wrote the real thing, but I think those 4 notes of Ben Hur got in there because of the Arena looking very Ben Hur like.

Anyway, I'd like to thank my agent, Richard Kimball, my wife, of course George Lucas and Ben Burtt, and its rreally great to know, youlike me! You Really LIKE me!

Well can I submit my Revenge of the Sith piece... since it fits perfectly for when Anakin and Padme express their love just before the Battle of Geonosis begins, to the point where Yoda faces Dooku in that facility?

Apparently it has too many themes (well, yeah I guess Han Solo and the Princess is overkill... but it was merely striking a juxtaposition between Ani/Padme and Han/Leia; and ignore the premature end credits fanfare), so judge for yourself:

Bowie's Battle of Geonosis (courtesy of Saxbabe <3!)

I was planning on transitioning differently there once I wrote the real thing, but I think those 4 notes of Ben Hur got in there because of the Arena looking very Ben Hur like.

Well they were trying to save Ben Kenobi. :mrgreen:

Neil

Well, to add another thing to listen to to this thread (since this competition produced almost nothing... guess we try to have a more popular topic for the next one), I'll post again my space shooter action music:

The Asteroid Belt

It's even halfway on topic, as it's Star Wars inspired 8O

Hell, forget about the competition, let's just share Star Wars pieces in this thread (as for non-SW, there's the composers' thread).

• 6 months later...

Having just heard "Yoda To The Rescue", I think it is a fantastic piece of originality, worthy of John Williams himself! I think it would have fit the scene in well in AoTC. Whoever wrote and recorded this ought to be rewarded with something.

I wish I could hear more fan's interpretations of the "Battle Of Geonosis" so I can synch it with the film.

Great job!