2005 JWFan Composition Competition

Bowie

Can I suggest we start one soon? Should be a lot of fun...

Perhaps something with a clearer task than last time.

Like, compose an adaptation of previous star wars themes (perhaps selecting 3 or 4 from a list of 8) for a climactic Revenge of the Sith scene...

or, in celebration of another Williams score in '05, compose a Japanese-themed and love-themed Memoirs of a Geisha-esque score...

or, perhaps a comedic piece as a follow-up to The Terminal?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already started "The First Task" from GoF. I know JW isn't scoring, but I still wanted to have a go. I'm not going bad, except I think I need a little inspiration. I'm using thematic material for no reason - Double Trouble is used much like in the PoA Quidditch match. I don't know why, either. Still, I came up with my own Hedwig's Theme-inspired motif for the main "Third Task Action" music.

Well since the Memoirs of a Geisha idea is not going to be chosen, I went ahead and wrote one out-of-competition. But attaching never seems to work, so u can't hear it.

I've written a rough piano score that goes for about two and a half minutes, but that will almost certainly increase. I often extend bits out, add new melodies etc. I've started orchestrating, and I'm doing most of the existing orchestrations by memory (or just making it up). I'll probably write some sort of companion for the action that's happening, but it'll probably be pretty vague.

This will be my first composition that I've ever shown to someone else, so be nice (assuming I ever finish it and show it to you).

I'm going to suggest a contest where we actually compose music for the Clone Battle at the end of Attack of the Clones. From the point where Mace Shows up to the point where the original music kicks back in.

Jesse

And it has to be timed right!

We could just convert the speed afterward so that there is a PAL and NTSC version for each entry. And it would be nice if we could download a synced version w/ the video online.

That would be a cool idea...

However, what with the sound effects/dialogue? Is it possible to extract a channel without music from the film? Otherwise the result would be a silent film...

Of course. Or is there any hint of classic or stellar dialogue in Attack of the Clones that I have missed?

By the way, great idea. And can we add the alternate finale to the task?

Hmm...

Some thoughts.

Composing music for the AOTC battle would prove challenging in itself. I personally wouldn't wish to compose the alternate finale, just because I'm content to wait for the recording. But it is only an insert, (I presume we'd only need to compose the bit that goes where the Imperial March was.)

I would rather compose a new finale for ROTJ!

But definitely, I think the Clone War would be the best contest, and the most interesting to hear, since there is no existing version of it, nor will there probably ever be.

Yes, in composing the alternate finale, you'd only be doing an alternate of the Imperial March part. The rest of the cue is perfect as it is! :pukeface:

But yes, the Clone War would probably more interesting, because like you said there's no existing version of it.

I like the clone war idea.

From the point where Mace Shows up to the point where the original music kicks back in.

How long roughly is that?

I have successfully avoided spoilers for ROTS. And I think if we did a ROTS contest, I'd stay away from the thread to avoid spoilage.

Update: I know this isn't the subject others are on about, but I'm continuing with my "First Task" piece. I've got about a minute's worth orchestrated. It's quite simple orchestration (or bad, whatever) owing to me having never orchestrated anything before. I have borrowed a few bars from Hedwig's Theme (it's a rising and crescendo-ing bridge that leads into the second grand brass statement of the B theme, the theme heard in Quidditch) but orchestrating it is hell. I don't know which intrument plays what so I've made up most of it. I may look into getting the conductor's score, but it's not readily available where I am.

Well, if we do this someone would have to organize it... be the one who collects all the entries and after the deadline puts them online and starts the vote. Theoretically I would do this, but I'd like to participate in the contest, and shouldn't it be an impartial person? Who else would volunteer?

Hm, I just looked at the film to see how long the sequence is, and it's 10min or more... isn't this a bit too long for a contest? I'd think 5 minutes should be the maximum, otherwise it's just too much work.

I agree with Chris 10 minutes would be too long.

Are we going to make up our own themes or use the existing starwars thematic material?

I'd perfer it if we came up with our own unique themes. I like a good challange :ola:

So do the cues have to be in strict adherence to the scene? That's going to be a whole lot more difficult to do.

Justin - Who prefers a loose adaptation based on the scene....

We could do any part of the missing music, timed or not timed to the film. I would probably actually time it and use JW themes with my own action motifs. But if themes were not allowed, that's fine, I could still pull it off.

I like the clone war idea.
From the point where Mace Shows up to the point where the original music kicks back in.

How long roughly is that?

12:43.

And now for some cue points:

Super Battle Droids Approach Mace - 0:45

Battle Droids March (TF March starts playing, then BD/3PO says "My legs aren't moving, I must need maintenance) - 1:16

Jango Fett Takes Off - 2:49

Mace Beheads Jango - 3:26

Clone Ships Arrive - 6:33

More coming soon.

How about we just re-score the final scenes (after the yoda confrontation) where Dooku peers over his clone army and then Anakin and Padme marry, and it has to end on chord that would lead well into the Star Wars end credits (main title) fanfare?

12:43.  

And now for some cue points:  

Battle Droids March (TF March starts playing, then BD/3PO says "My legs aren't moving, I must need maintenance) - 1:16  

More coming soon.

I think a contest where we can score any part of it would be good. I'd probably start from the beginning and stop when the contest was due. That's my vote. If people want to rescore the finale or compose ROTS, or do a Harry Potter sequence, that should be fine too, but no spoilers.

Howabout a contest with multiple winners but different categories. Like Best AOTC war. Best alternate AOTC Finale. Best overall. Best ROTS ending (if more than 1 entry). And Best HP and the GOF (if more than 1 entry).

Best overall takes the cake, but at least we'd also have some competition writing for the same scene.

And if nobody else is going to start this thing, I'll provide server space and set a due date of midnight, March 31, 2005. Participants can't vote, so that deletes my conflict of interest.

Howabout a contest with multiple winners but different categories. Like Best AOTC war. Best alternate AOTC Finale. Best overall. Best ROTS ending (if more than 1 entry). And Best HP and the GOF (if more than 1 entry).

Well, as a voter :), I would suggest you guys to stick to the AotC War (if 12 minutes are possible, great, if it isn't possible, fine too: we should only set a minimum) and the AotC Finale. HP and RotS are going to be scored, so I wouldn't include that - in my humble opinion, AotC is much much more interesting as to what you guys can come up with. (You can even make deals among each other - one half scores the first six minutes, the other half the other six minutes, etc.).

HP and RotS are going to be scored, so I wouldn't include that - in my humble opinion, AotC is much much more interesting as to what you guys can come up with.

Wasn't there a PoA contest before the score came out?

Justin

K, well can we vote or something whether we do a specific unanymous sequence from the finale, or choose any 3-ish minute segment from the finale?

Or any part of the film for that matter :roll: ?

This should be plenty of cue points. :)

Total Time - 12:43

Mace Appears - 0:00

"My legs aren't moving, I must need maintenance" - 1:18

Anakin's/Padme's Cart Falls Over - 4:07

Obi-Wan Kills the Acklay - 5:05

Artoo Begins Fixing Threepio - 5:21

Battle Droids Stop Firing - 5:27

Anakin/Obi-Wan Board Ship - 7:19

Threepio/Artoo Left Behind - 7:39

Ships Flying - 7:55

Ship Destroys Lander - 8:20

Confederacy Battle Room - 8:35

Ships Fly into Battle - 8:56

Camera Zooms to Ani/Obi Ship - 9:48

Confederacy Battle Room - 10:36

Death Star Plans Revealed - 11:18

Neimodian Ship Takes Off - 11:40

Republic Attacks Landers - 12:11

I support that segment idea; split this up into four or five parts and hold a contest to score any one part (hopefully there will be enough participants to get everything scored!).

Right, well, as someone said, we could do loose adaptions of the Geonosis battle, not timed exactly. But we've got to have SOME subject, not just "JW-related," and it looks like that subject is going to be the Geonosis battle.

I say we just do a piece of 3 minutes minimum (the longer it is, the more it has to be able to sustain attention), loosely based on the "final events of Attack of the Clones."

Since we are rescoring the ending, we have to make up a different/better ending because it is impossible to improve on Williams' work as is. However, you may choose to base the ending on the Geonosis battle/other actual events from the film, but precise timing will not be taken into consideration, as I think that's unfair for those who don't own the DVD/have the means and time to follow it so closely.

With our submission should be a list of themes used, and where they occur; and/or a written description of the music as it unfolds with reference to themes.

However, you don't have to use any previous Star Wars themes if you don't want to, but appropriate use of themes will be taken into consideration, so it's unlikely that you can get away without using any thematic acknowledgement.

But what is absolutely necessary is the creation of your own theme for the Star Wars universe. The more memorable/John Williamsy/Star Warsy, the better! And also name your piece, with an appropriate title. I should expect many of them to end with "... & Finale" since we are writing music for the dramatic CLIMAX and/or END of the film, but something like "Geonosis Battle & The Sabre Duet" would be fine.

Well what do you guys think? Would you prefer to judge it by its synchronisation? or just by the composition of former/new theme/s into a relevant-sounding composition?

EDIT: Perhaps one of the objectives would be to mix in the Attack of the Clones finale (the music after the Confrontation with Count Dooku/wedding crescendo chord)? Part of the judgment being on how well the music swells or enters the finale music...?

I love the idea of some of our resident composers taking a stab at the Battle of Geonosis. I've had a couple of vague ideas myself about what I'd like to hear during it, mainly the start, but I'm no composer or musician and will not attempt to impersonate one on the internet. And I just might put the winner on my 2 disc Ep. II set. :wave:

Hey guys, I wrote five seconds of music already! :thumbup:

...Although I'm stuck now. Probably for several weeks.

Bowie, your ideas sound good, but perhaps you place too much emphasis on rescoring the duel/finale? The subject of this is shaping up to be the Battle of Geonosis that precedes that.

ugh, i just think the geonosis battle is so boring and uninspiring and i cannot remember what happens, so i'll have to borrow the dvd for a while... but so many things happen in the final duel - so many opportunities for dramatic full statements for themes - and surely easier for more participants rather than heaps and heaps of action notes?

well anyway, can someone make the decision and set the due date already? how about the 20th of February giving the Fan Net a week to vote, and the winner will be announced just before the Oscars ceremony?

In fact i'll start a poll now.

ugh, i just think the geonosis battle is so boring and uninspiring and i cannot remember what happens, so i'll have to borrow the dvd for a while... but so many things happen in the final duel - so many opportunities for dramatic full statements for themes - and surely easier for more participants rather than heaps and heaps of action notes?

OK first of all, many of us see the opportunity for great battle music, even if you don't. Second, the duel/finale already has music! What would you rather do, rescore or score?

I think its fair to give us just over 2 months to do this, as most of us have dayjobs and families and other projects, and great fully orchestrated music takes time. I choose last day of may as the date. I will even provide webspace for uploading files. The contest is to write music for the geonosis battle. Hang on to your submissions and I will upload them to my site closer to the deadline.

You could ask someone to run it through a sampler...that was the case with the previous competition. Forge used Garritan Personal Orchestra to fix up AI's "Hermiones Crush" entry. It won.