2005 JWFan Competition

Bowie

What should the composition task be this time?  

21 members have voted

1. 1.

• SW: II - Attack of the Clones - "The Battle of Geonosis I-IV" (synchronised)
    • SW: II - Attack of the Clones - "End of Battle/Confrontation with Count Dooku/Yoda Strikes Back" (synchronised; finale fanfare mixed onto end)
    • SW: II - Attack of the Clones - "Finale" (loose adaptation of the above events)
    • SW: III - Revenge of the Sith - "Finale" (adaptation of previous theme(s)/new theme(s))
    • SW: VI - Return of the Jedi - "Victory Celebration" (a THIRD version!; finale fanfare mixed onto end)
    • War of the Worlds - "Main Theme" (concert version of new [alien] theme, some action)
    • Memoirs of a Geisha - "Main Theme" (concert version)
    • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - free choice of cue

What option will win? Any member is allowed to vote, whether or not they are willing to participate.

Note: ALL OF THE STAR WARS OPTIONS MUST CONTAIN AT LEAST ONE (1) NEW THEME (as would the other film options), and the adaptation of former Star Wars themes is obviously expected, and taken into consideration for voting.

The result, in 5 days' time, will signal the COMMENCEMENT of the competition running time. You will then have three weeks, that is, until Sunday the 20th February, 2005, to complete your entry and have it submitted to JWFan.net for members' consideration and voting.

The winner will be announced a week after the closing date, on the evening of the 77th Annual Academy Awards.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cue is already finished so I went with ROTS...

Justin - Who thinks it's not going to work to limit people to one scene...or one movie....or one series of movies. :)

The Battle of Geonosis, not necessarily synced though. Or complete (twelve minutes). Three-minute sections, maybe?

Actually...just kidding. I voted for BoG, but now I'd like to do an Episode III finale...I have some great ideas for it. NOTE - the ending I have ideas for is pretty much made up; it's Vader being revealed, then Obi-Wan and Yoda escaping Coruscant while the Jedi Temple crashes down around them).

Another thing, Bowie - could you extend the completion date a bit? I mean, the 2004 composition competition took months and months and there were only five entries. Most of us have (I would hope) jobs or school to go to. Could you put it back by, say, a month? Or two?

That's the spirit. :thumbup:

Justin - Who based his cue on Final Duel between Obi and Ani, and Joe's idea of the Blockcade Runner passing overhead for the final shot.

Well, there's no way I'll have time in 3 weeks, so I'm out of the competition. Feb 21 is my anniversary and I'll be going away and I have to finish a film score before then. Too bad because the Geonosis battle one was my idea. :thumbup:

Jesse

Give it until the end of March, how about? Oh, and I don't plan on writing a new theme, just new action motifs. I don't think the Geonosis battle warrants its own theme because the score needs a cue that binds the rest of the score together, and that is usually the final major battle cue.

Why not Asteroid Field from ESB as I suggested before? I like those old-fashioned action sequences better than those scens from AotC.

everything needs a new theme. that really should form the basis of all of our JWFan competitions. however, if Battle of Geonosis wins, you might like to introduce the theme before the battle starts, or perhaps afterwards in a victorious mode, giving hints to it throughout the battle. in fact that would probably be the challenge - how well can you incorporate new and old themes into battle music?

I would do Battle of Geonosis if I could write with a video available. I don't have the DVD. Unfortunately, as the current board rules state, no copyrighted videos can be posted either *eyes PM button*.

Well, MM, I took some timing notes for the Battle of Geonosis.

Total Time - 12:43

Mace Appears - 0:00

Super Battle Droids Approach Mace - 0:45

"My legs aren't moving, I must need maintenance" - 1:18

Jango Fett Takes Off - 2:49

Mace Beheads Jango - 3:26

Anakin's/Padme's Cart Falls Over - 4:07

Obi-Wan Kills the Acklay - 5:05

Artoo Begins Fixing Threepio - 5:21

Battle Droids Stop Firing - 5:27

Clone Ships Arrive - 6:33

Anakin/Obi-Wan Board Ship - 7:19

Threepio/Artoo Left Behind - 7:39

Ships Flying - 7:55

Ship Destroys Lander - 8:20

Confederacy Battle Room - 8:35

Ships Fly into Battle - 8:56

Camera Zooms to Ani/Obi Ship - 9:48

Confederacy Battle Room - 10:36

Death Star Plans Revealed - 11:18

Neimodian Ship Takes Off - 11:40

Republic Attacks Landers - 12:11

Probably not specific enough, though...

The only scene I remember from that whole battle is young Boba Fett holding his father's head. Am I right in thinking that should be in that list somewhere?

Okay, well, it's official.

The task for this competition is scoring music for the Battle of Geonosis in Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones. It should match the visuals as closely as possible, as synchronisation with the battle (whose timings are above), from the finale of the film, is to be taken into consideration during voting. It is your duty to watch the film as needed before submitting your composition. You can only submit one composition.

A new thematic motive must be introduced at some stage during the piece and developed to some extent, that is, used more than once, differently.

It goes without saying that any appropriate references you make to previous Star Wars themes, particularly those composed for Attack of the Clones, will contribute to the success of your piece, as most likely will the use of mods or sampled orchestral instruments. While voters will surely give plain midi files submitted a chance, and inherent quality of any file type will be noted during voting, it is probably safer to endeavour to record your piece in a program such as Sibelius or Finale or that uses a personal computerised orchestra.

The task begins NOW and will run for at least 2 months, at which point a week's warning will be issued, and during, and up until the end of, that week, all entries must be submitted (directions for which will be administered at this point).

Voting will take roughly a week after that.

Bowie

That's an insteresting idea. I may have to write a cue that makes a complete mockery of the scene. :P

Justin - Who already wrote a serious SW cue for ROTS and doesn't really want to do another one right away.

Are these people supposed to write over 12 minutes of music for this?

Ray Barnsbury - who thinks that's a lot

Ugh this battle thing is really making my job difficult.

I'll have to start a new poll for participants to decide whether 12 minutes or a preferred segment of the battle is what the task should be. I can't make that decision myself, because many seem to be adamant about scoring the full scene simply because for which Williams decided it was not worth writing music!

So whichever task makes the most fans happy wins.

It has no original music. The entire battle is tracked with music written for The Phantom Menace. For anyone who is a fan of Williams' music, it should be maddening to listen to. The entire sequence is scored like a fan film.

Neil