The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Wow! Talk about over thinking.

You cant really compare the Trill with The Doctor though. They were a symbiont race. So Jadzia was actually a different person then Curzon, Ezra etc...

The point is that the show is in a rut, they have basically been doing the same thing since 2007.

It might have been an interesting way to go.

But apparently it's "wrong" for The Doctor to regenerate into a women....ooooohhhh!

Well, if I'm a Time Lord male, who's just married and had a child with my wife, and she gets in an accident and regenerates into a guy...

Ok, culturally speaking, since I wear those giant godawful hats and stare into all of space and time, I am probably prepared to have a husband like it's nothing. But for God's sake, who's going to nurse Junior?

It's not that its necessarily wrong, but what's the point?

The Doctor is a male, has been one for 50 years. Until two years ago, there was nothing in the show that even hinted that a Time Lord could change genders while regenerating. If people want a strong female science fiction character, create one. Why change the gender of a long time male character, when one can simply create a brand new character and mold it the way that they like? Hell, if the BBC really wanted to, they could bring Romana back and give her a show and it'd probably be hella entertaining. I'm sorry, I just don't understand what giving a woman the role accomplishes other than to shut up the PC brigade for a while.

BTW, I'd have no problem if The Doctor became a woman, I just have no desire to really see it. I'd still watch the show and if the actress was good, I'd enjoy it all the same. That being said, I'm not going actively promote the idea, even though I have no aversion to it.

Wait until you get to the actual awesome shit.

The Doctor is a male, has been one for 50 years.

So what. This is Doctor Who. Outdated gender essentialism doesn't add anything new in particular for the show at this point. In the case of Doctor Who, "he's a man" is completely meaningless, ideally the only difference on a character level would be aesthetic.

Until two years ago, there was nothing in the show that even hinted that a Time Lord could change genders while regenerating.

Again... Doctor Who. It was started in the 60's. The show isn't being created in the same culture all the time, and the same basic premise might be mined in widly different ways, depending on the morals of the time and so on. The Doctor would have never been a woman in the 60's. They wouldn't have even thought on it.

If people want a strong female science fiction character, create one.

I already did (and she's quite cool); so can I speak about my interest on a female Doctor now?

First of all and most important, this character being female is a potential turn on for me.

But the serious stuff. In the first place, I like to be reminded of the alieness of the Doctor in unique ways. Let's remember he looks like a normal human, but psychological gender fluidity is rare in humans. The Doctor is alreay a sort of perpetual, trans-corporeal being so it actually would fit with the theme of what the Doctor is.

But the thing is it could serve as a basis for an original, daring, fantasy story, and I like that in my Doctor Who. There are several ways this could be done.

The danger is that it opens the door to all kinds of misogynistic writing, of writers who would forget she'd still be the same character and would write her in a particularly un-Doctorly way out of fear that she'd be too threatening to the antiquated audience who coulnd't cope with it (including many of the gender essentialists I mentioned in passing).

In the end, many who think it's about pleasing the PC brigade are missing the point.

On Peter Capaldi: I'm unfamiliar with the actor, but he looks interesting. I look forward to see what he does.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article, but they left out the biggest one.

The Tardis explodes at the end of series 5. We never learn how, or why.

Also, in their entry about "The Silence".

The thing is, even though their ultimate goal (to stop The Great Intelligence from destroying the Doctor’s past and causing silence to fall

Really?

Where was this stated on the show?

The Silence wanted to stop the Doctor from going to Tranzelor. That was mentioned in Season 6. When he did go there, the GI did his thing, so ipso facto they were actually trying to stop the Great Intelligence. They were the ones that blew up the TARDIS in Season 5, though exactly why has never been explained.

Yeah, its one of those things that is accepted that they did it, but for what ends we have no idea. Perhaps it will come up at some point, or at best, will be explained in a Big Finish story down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope so! No more 160 BPM rip-offs!

Can't wait to see Tennant and Smith on screen together.

Oh and Stefan, I caught up! I'll share my thoughts tomorrow.

I hope for a nice rendition of "All The Strange, Strange Creatures" myself.

I expect more use of the Gallifrey themes like in The Name of the Doctor.

Do you mean the similar rythm of one of the multiple parts of 11's theme?

I love that bit on the brass finishing other melodies. I think it was the first I noticed about the show back when I saw this trailer:

Much cooler than anything in 160 BPM, which I just had to listen again because I didn't remember it.

S1X01 Rose

The beginning of modern Who.

Watching it some 8 years later it feels a bit rough around the edges. CGI fairly crude looking, shot in SD rather then HD, and Murray Gold's music performed by samplers rather the the Welsh BBC orchestra.

All the elements are there though.

Because of his short stint Eccleston has been slightly forgotten as The Doctor, but his portrayal is key to what made the revamped shot such a hit. He strikes a chord between seriousness and tomfoolery that Tennant and Smith developed further.

Billie Piper is still the quintessential companion, The Sarah Jane of modern Who. I'm not at all surprised they are bringing her back for the 50th anniversary show.

The plot with the Nestene consciousness isn't actually that interesting. This ep pretty much plays like a pilot. Set up the premise, get the team together and on their way for further adventures.

Still a very worthwhile watch.

S1X02 The End Of The World

Effects laden, fun episode. It's premise will be repeated in other "second episodes" with a new assistant.

Piper is very good as a Rose who is completely out of her element and basically in the hands of a guy in a blue box she only just met.

The ep is filled with colourful side characters, some of them will return (Cassandra, the Face Of Boe).

It also features RTD's strength when it comes to writing for secondary characters.

While sometime she fills his eps with too much of them, they are plenty of episodes that feature very interesting, vibrant and lively supporting characters. This is something that Moffat doesn't do quite as well, I think.

The main recurring characters are fine, but his one-ep, supporting ones, on the whole tend to be a bit less interesting.

The effects are a bit clunky, but work. The big climax with the huge fans being hand back by a giant lever is a bit cheesy though. The heart to heart between The Doctor and Rose at the end of the ep is a highlight.

S1X03 The Unquiet Dead

The first ghost story. Some nice creepy moments.

Simon Callow as Dickens basically does a big Ian McKellen imitation, but is fun to watch. Eve Myles is outstanding as the maid. Another fine example of supporting character writing. Myles would later be cast in Torchwood

The visual style of this ep feels very dated now. it's digital video with filters applied to make it kinda resemble film. It looks quite ugly now. Especially the establishing shot of Dickens looks liuke it came from a 70's recorded on video production.

More mentions of the Time War. Rose is convincing in the way she disagrees with The Doctor, who makes mistakes in this ep that cost someone's life.

S1X04 Aliens Of London / S1X05 Word War Three

The first big alien invasion story of the RTD era, although quite small compared to what would follow in subsequent seasons.

This very ambitious episode is held back by the overall "low budget" BBC Children's TV feel that runs through season one.

The constant farting also gibes this two parter a very juvenile feel.

The Sltheen are quite interesting, but both the design and the concept of wearing human skin was taken straight from Men In Black.

The highlights are the human elements, particular the beginning where Rose returns home after a year, even though only days have passed for her. She has to deal with the consequences of travelling with the Doctor for the first time.

The music is quite annoying. I'm sure from a compositional viewpoint it's quite good, but it's performance by synths or, really dated samplers ruin it and make it feel like a computer game score.

There are good elements in this 2 parter, but they havent quite nailed the tone and style yet.

Yeah the music was also too over-the-top in the first season, with all those loud synths and overblown choirs diminishing whats going on screen. But it improves drastically in the second season, with a real orchestra to its benefit.

I expect more use of the Gallifrey themes like in The Name of the Doctor.

Do you mean the similar rythm of one of the multiple parts of 11's theme?

I love that bit on the brass finishing other melodies. I think it was the first I noticed about the show back when I saw this trailer:

Much cooler than anything in 160 BPM, which I just had to listen again because I didn't remember it.

Is not a "similar rhythm", its pretty much the same. The opening ostinato is essentially identical to 160 BPM. Admittedly he does different things with it, and I can't deny it sounds cool. In fact, I really like it, especially in context. I just wish he came up with something more original, because he was clearly "inspired" by 160 BPM. Not to mention this new theme relies more on those Brian Tyler-ish/RCP-ish feel-good chord progressions, compared to the more melodic substance of 10th doctor music. It was at first a bit disappointing (not to mention I didn't like the latest versions of the main titles music), but I warmed up to it and I think it works really well in context.

Favourite part is that woodwind line at 0:35.

http://youtube.com/5D-QPDGhCtM

I'm hoping to hear both The Doctor Forever and I Am The Doctor being given a full workout in November.

S1X06 Dalek

Silly title when you consider they made the reveal of the Dalek a big shock.

The only ep in the RTD era to feature a lone Dalek.

Highlights are the big reveal and the Doctor's confrontation with his metal nemesis. Eccleston excels here

The finale where the Dalek wants to be ordered by Rose to terminate itself is actually rather moving.

The episode suffers from the fact that the actually isn't the last of the Daleks, and that a few eps alter millions are seen floating around. Actually the RTD era has several instances where the Dalek race is completely destroyed and...oh wait, loophole, a few are still alive!

Yeah the music was also too over-the-top in the first season, with all those loud synths and overblown choirs diminishing whats going on screen. But it improves drastically in the second season, with a real orchestra to its benefit.

Just listen to some of the Series one selections on the Silva Screen CD, they were re-recorded with the orchestra for that release. It makes such a huge difference.

The episode suffers from the fact that the actually isn't the last of the Daleks, and that a few eps alter millions are seen floating around. Actually the RTD era has several instances where the Dalek race is completely destroyed and...oh wait, loophole, a few are still alive!

Hasn't that been one of the running inside jokes in the series? They've even written lines that poke fun at it, no?

Although I have no clue how the Dalek worked before the reboot. Was the Doctor the last of the time lords before the new series too?

No. The Timewar, the destruction of the Time Lords and The Daleks were all introduced in the revamped series. I assume it was done to sort of clean the slate a bit, giving the new series a fresh start.

Moffat did a similar thing when he took over with his story conceit that the rift in time erased certain events from time and space (Cyberking though Victorian London, human knowledge of The Daleks etc etc)

S1X07 The Long Game

Second ep of the series to play on a space station. Satellite 5, which would return later in the series.

Feels a bit similar to The End Of The World. A fairly unremarkable episode, but Simon Pegg has fun in his role as The Editor.

Best part are the scenes between Adam and the nurse, plays with a restraint seductive touch by Tamsin Greig.

S1X08 Father's Day

Rose saves her father from the car crash that kills him when she was just a baby. Inadvertently setting of a time paradox that threatens humanity.

Episode 8 is where the series really begins to hit it's stride. Father's Day is a wonderfully emotional and clever story about loss and sacrifice.

The scenes between Rose and her dad are both funny and heartbreaking. This story turns Pete Tyler into the great father Rose remembers from her mum's stories.

Eccleston's Doctor drops his guard a bit and admits to his amazement and love or normal humans.

The special effects are a bit crude but work well, even the music works....Hell Even Jackie Tyler isn't annoying all the time!

Top notch Who episode, up there with Turn Left and Midnight!

S1X09 The Empty Child / S1X10 The Doctor Dances

Second two parter of the revamped series and a far, far better one. Moffat's first association with the series is a triumph. A fantastic story, with a great premise and wonderful character moments, and genuinely creepy and moving. It's also the first one that really looks good visually. Both the way it's shot and the special effects hold up.

The scenes of Rose hanging from a balloon during the blitz are very well done.

This ep introduces Jack Harkness. Barrowman has fun with the role that looks like it was tailor-made for him. He and Tyler have a good chemistry.

Florance Hoath as the rather desperate Nancy, haunted by the Empty Child is really superb. The sces where she acknowledges Jamie is a real "time for tears" one. As is the "everybody lives" concept of this 2 parter, which Moffat would repeat for his equally splendid Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead.

Probably the two most remembered eps of series one, and with good reason.

All I really remember from season 1 is: Rose is really hot, creepy gas mask kids, space station television place, and the bad wolf thing that was set up all season long.

Was surprised to read above that Simon Pegg was in it, but then again I guess I wasn't familiar with him too much at the time

Shame they weren't shooting in HD yet by 2005 in the UK.

I watched all of Season 1 and maybe 3-4 episodes into Season 2 before I gave up because I just couldn't get into the show.

Eccleson and Piper were fantastic but the show overall was just way too ridiculous for me.

It took me a while to get into it. The first few episodes scared me, but my brother told me to keep going. By the end of the first season, I was entertained. I became full-fledged fan with the second season though.

S1X11 Boom Town

A sequel of sorts to Aliens Of London/World War three. The surviving Sltheen Margeret/Blon Fell Fotch sues for pity from the Doctor after she is captured, to be brought to her homeworld and put top death. The moral back and forth between The Doctor and Margaret (played superbly by Annette Badland) form the heart of this episode. The rest if filled with Rose/Mickey stuff.

Actually quite good, but doesn't follow through on it's moral dilemma.

Several themes would be repeated in series 7's A Town Called Mercy.

It took me a while to get into it. The first few episodes scared me, but my brother told me to keep going. By the end of the first season, I was entertained. I became full-fledged fan with the second season though.

I think for anyone outside the UK, the series certainly is a required taste.

It leaves even hardcore geeks and sci-fi lovers a bit puzzled.

Good episode. I hated the Slitheen, but was impressed by Badland's performance in this one.

Oh I dunno about that. A TON of my friends are really into it.

Probably the Moffat/Smith series though. The new seasons are much more accessible to the mainstream and is what most Americans are hooked on.

Good episode. I hated the Slitheen, but was impressed by Badland's performance in this one.

Yeah, pretty silly alien foe actually. especially the fart stuff. But they gave the character some depth here.

Probably the Moffat/Smith series though. The new seasons are much more accessible to the mainstream and is what most Americans are hooked on.

Interesting. Moffat certainly loves putting a few stories in the US. But otherwise the show still seeems very British to me.

What was your opinion of the last 2 seasons KK?

Are you saying that this is Doctor Who For Dummies?

Probably the reverse. If anything modern Who would improve by them slowing down on occasion and explain shit better, and let character stuff linger a bit more.

Not at all. The Moffat reign largely tries to make Doctor Who more like Hollywood. And I don't mean any negative connotations with that. The budget is bigger, CGI is used more intelligently, and Moffat's plots are usually quite excellent. It's more flashy, making use of more quick-witted humour, which makes it very entertaining, but I assume it diverges from tradition quite a bit. On the other hand, RTD's plots are usually overblown and throw logic out the window sometimes, but its characters had more heart.

Interesting. Moffat certainly loves putting a few stories in the US. But otherwise the show still seeems very British to me

The weirdness, cheesiness, excess in RTD's season is likely what turned most off to the show. Moffat's seasons were more grounded, restrained (in its own way) and viewer-friendly.

Someday I'll give Doctor Who another try, but I have sooooo much other shows lined up to watch before I could do that....

Unless Dr Who becomes my new "watch while on the elliptical at the gym" show, which it might....