Williams article in new Star Wars Insider

Steven Awalt

...and does it have a doozy of a Lucas quote...

About Williams' music: "Generally, I've had to make about four or five little fixes, which amount to about a minute and a half out of a movie that's two hours and ten minutes. I hardly make any changes at all [:)]. It's always spot on."

Before that, the writer of the article states "From Williams' first presentation, the long score undergoes only a few changes before its final form."

Perhaps the tweaking to the score as recorded. If only the writer could have foreseen what changes would befall the score in the film itself.

That George's imagination (and sense of self-delusion) knows no bounds. :roll:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I can't post a whole article (not legal) and I'd have to type the WHOLE thing! The magazine is going out to subscribes right now, and it should hit newsstands in the next few weeks. There really is anything relevatory in it, many things I've read elsewhere...

You know I'm not sure anymore...maybe Lucas really does only make a few changes when the score is recorded,and just doesn't notice,remember it,or care what happens after.Ben Burt and as discussed before seems the one who mixes the music in to advantage his own sound effects in the end.

K.M.

What i mean is that Lucas is probably just not so familiar with the scores as much as WE are here on this board,beeing involved in so many aspects of the movie,that he probably wouldn't notice if a bit came from TPM or whatever in AOTC,the only time he probably heard the music is in january.....

K.M.Looking for other suspects in the butchering of the SW prequel scores.

If that is the case, then all that stuff about Lucas being the guy in charge of every aspect of the SW films is bull.

Yes well he was at the recording sessions,which makes him involved,and did make those few changes then.but maybe his music memory is not as good as Spielberg who Williams claims he can quote pretty much every sub themes of a Williams score that Williams himself doesn't remember.

K.M.

If that is the case, then all that stuff about Lucas being the guy in charge of every aspect of the SW films is bull.

He is then NOT the author of his films.

I agree.

I completely disagree!

Does the author of a film have to remember every single thing completely? Expecting Lucas to remember every aspect of the music like we do here is like expecting a director to remember exact camera angles, their sequences in the film, exact lighting and all sorts of tiny details including where a prop will appear next in the film, why exactly every single prop was put where it is, etc. He is the author of his film in my opinion. I'm not supporting what he did, but not totally remembering the music doesn't make him less the author of his film than he would be had he remembered every thing about the music in the film.

I completely disagree!

Does the author of a film have to remember every single thing completely? Expecting Lucas to remember every aspect of the music like we do here is like expecting a director to remember exact camera angles, their sequences in the film, exact lighting and all sorts of tiny details including where a prop will appear next in the film, why exactly every single prop was put where it is, etc. He is the author of his film in my opinion. I'm not supporting what he did, but not totally remembering the music doesn't make him less the author of his film than he would be had he remembered every thing about the music in the film.

A film director does not necessarily have to remember all sorts of tiny details, but not having control over the fact that Williams' score was hacked to pieces in AOTC would mean that Lucas is not the real author of the film.

Anyway, I do think he's (more or less) aware of what was done with the music. And I'm sure he thinks they made the right decisions. That's the main problem.

Some aspects of the Lucas bashing are just getting ridiculous.

If we put it that way, all aspects of the Lucas praising could be considered ridiculous.

A film director does not necessarily have to remember all sorts of tiny details, but not having control over the fact that Williams' score was hacked to pieces in AOTC would mean that Lucas is not the real author of the film.

Anyway, I do think he's (more or less) aware of what was done with the music. And I'm sure he thinks they made the right decisions. That's the main problem.

Yeah... I don't like what they did to Williams' music at all. And it is even worse because Lucas thinks that he and his crew made the right decisions. I think these top film composers need to include other details in their contracts with studios, such as having their music used exactly as composed !! I think that all the praises Lucas gives to Williams' music is contradicting with the way he treats the man's music. :)

Well, we can't do anything about it now. All I want is a 2CD set (or 10CD set if that's what we need) containing all the music Williams composed for AOTC and in the order he composed and recorded it.

Yeah... I don't like what they did to Williams' music at all. And it is even worse because Lucas thinks that he and his crew made the right decisions. I think these top film composers need to include other details in their contracts with studios, such as having their music used exactly as composed !! I think that all the praises Lucas gives to Williams' music is contradicting with the way he treats the man's music. :devil:

I think Williams should also be given more time to compose the score and it should be done closer to the release date so it doesn't have to be edited so much :)

Morn wrote:

I think Williams should also be given more time to compose the score and it should be done closer to the release date so it doesn't have to be edited so much

You hit the nail right on the head. There is too much tinkering time between scoring and the film's final release. Lucas only finishes his film when he has to. I heard there were changes between when the film print was made and the digital version was "finished". Like it or not, that is his style and you can expect it again for EIII. :music:

Plus, Lucas had him composing 3 minutes of music a day!! :music:

What if he had about 18 weeks compared to 6? He would have tons of time to make the score even better, he needs to start earlier and finish later :)

Score is more important then the movie! :music:

But seriously, the score matters as much as the actor's, Lucas needs to pay attention to it if the film is to be good :)

Morn wrote

But seriously, the score matters as much as the actor's, Lucas needs to pay attention to it if the film is to be good

Ummm...Lucas pays even less attention to the actors which is one reason the movies are bad. Natalie Portman's acting makes Carrie Fisher's drug-induced performance in Return of the Jedi seem worthy of an Oscar nomination. I really wish he'd let someone else direct Episode III and just concentrate on what he does best which are the special effects etc. Of course, that will never happen.

Score more important than the movie??????????????????????

If he focused as much on the score as you would have liked him to, mabey more CD's would have been sold than movie tickets.

We have talked before about the importance of music in movies. My verdict was that music does NOT make the movie, because other-wise the movies would be based on scores. :)

I still think that THIS man:

ben.jpg

...is highly suspect. I beleive that he makes the majority of the sound edits, and Lucas (foolishly) goes along with them either thinking that they are acceptable, or not even noticing them (very bad ears if this is the case).

Disappointing this is... :cry:

We have talked before about the importance of music in movies.  My verdict was that music does NOT make the movie, because other-wise the movies would be based on scores. :sigh:

They are as important as anything else in the movie :)

We have talked before about the importance of music in movies.  My verdict was that music does NOT make the movie, because other-wise the movies would be based on scores. :sigh:

They are as important as anything else in the movie :)

That's not what you said before.