Rumors of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix release

JoeinAR

are floating around the net again. And there is no real reliable source but

the rumor is that we can expect a June 3rd 2003 release. That is on a Tuesday which is major book release date. But Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was released on a non regular day, so where does that leave us.

Still empty handed I guess.

Goblet of Fire recieves it's paperback release tomorrow, which just happens to be Harry Potter's birthday. Not our MB member Harry Potter but the fictional charactor.

So I ask again where does that leave us?

With 1800+ pages to be reread again until Ms. Rowling graces us with her next Hogwarts tale, whenever that may be.

Joe who was emotionally drained after Goblet of Fire.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are floating around the net again.  And there is no real reliable source but

the rumor is that we can expect a June 3rd 2003 release.  That is on a Tuesday which is major book release date.  But Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was released on a non regular day, so where does that leave us.

Still empty handed I guess.  

Goblet of Fire recieves it's paperback release tomorrow, which just happens to be Harry Potter's birthday.  Not our MB member Harry Potter but the fictional charactor.  

So I ask again where does that leave us?

With 1800+ pages to be reread again until Ms. Rowling graces us with her next Hogwarts tale, whenever that may be.

Joe who was emotionally drained after Goblet of Fire.

LOL, I had to go all the way to New Zealand to pick up the Goblet of Fire PB release...it takes forever for things to get out into paperback here in the States.

My girlfriend has been bugging me for months to read Goblet of Fire so we can both discuss it. We were all set to go to the bookstore and get it and go to Veteran's Stadium before the Phillies game tomorrow to celebrate Harry Potter's birthday. It seems they are having some sort of event there.

However, another event came up that I just couldn't resist going to and fortunately I have the best girlfriend in the world who convinced me that I couldn't miss this other once in a lifetime event, so she'll be going to the Harry Potter event at the Vet and I'll be elsewhere.

Hopefully she'll get me some cool Harry Potter things and I'll pick up Goblet of Fire while I'm away.

Neil

My girlfriend has been bugging me for months to read Goblet of Fire so we can both discuss it.  We were all set to go to the bookstore and get it and go to Veteran's Stadium before the Phillies game tomorrow to celebrate Harry Potter's birthday. It seems they are having some sort of event there.

However, another event came up that I just couldn't resist going to and fortunately I have the best girlfriend in the world who convinced me that I couldn't miss this other once in a lifetime event, so she'll be going to the Harry Potter event at the Vet and I'll be elsewhere.

Hopefully she'll get me some cool Harry Potter things and I'll pick up Goblet of Fire while I'm away.

Neil

Neil, after your wonderful upcoming trip, I hate you still by the way, do yourself a favor and your girlfriend, and Ren, and myself and read Goblet of Fire. The discuss it with her and let the rest of us know how you feel.

Joe, who thought each HP book was better than the previous.

the rumor is that we can expect a June 3rd 2003 release.

Where does that rumour come from? A whole year? That's horrible! bawling

I'm currently re-reading the books (middle of #2 right now), and amazed by some of the little bits, like Hagrid having borrowed that motorcycle from "young Sirius Black".

Marian - afraid to read the next books after what Rowling said about them. :wow:

LOL, I had to go all the way to New Zealand to pick up the Goblet of Fire PB release...it takes forever for things to get out into paperback here in the States.

Geez, took em long enough... :roll:

EXACTLY!!!! I WAS SO PISSED OFF! I didn't want to wait for paperback....how come they don't sell many import books here in the States....

Oh well....some countries are still waiting for Book 4 :)

You know, she's brilliant....very clever about the hints she drops....

I have always thought of her books as like fantasy detective novel..

you're always waiting to see whodunnit....and all the clues are there but you don't realize it until you get to the end....

For example, remember in Book 1, when Hermione was bumped into Quirrell, I thought nothing of it until....you get to the end and he explains it all..... I had to go back and say...oh yeah that's why....

And then the CoS and SS link about Harry and Parseltongue wasn't by accident...it was all planned by her!!! :wow: :)

And the Scabbers incident...:wow:

After reading GoF (hardback) :roll:, i'm all excited and can't wait...for OotP

Hurrry JK! Hurry!

Sorry just my rant.... :oops:

I am anxious to read the 5th book as well.

Still waiting for my arch nemesis.

Harry Potter, WHERE ARE YOU?

My name is Tom Morvolo Riddle and don't you forget it.

Hey cool! Tom Riddle's here.

Did you know some guy name Cris Coulson is going to play you in Chamber?

Hope he does a good job.

And by the way, it's Tom MARVOLO Riddle, NOT MORVOLO!

In Book 2, the letters rearrange to read "I am LORD VOLDEMORT".

In Book 2, the letters rearrange to read ...

Don't spoil it for those who haven't read it yet!

Regarding the Scabbers incident....Reading the books for the second time, every mention of Scabbers in the first books is highly amusing in a totally different way then last time. :sigh:

Marian - who wonders why we don't see Harry's father in the film during the scene where Voldemort tries to kill Harry??

:oops: Oops, i'm so sorry.... but i posted as a guest, so i can't edit it...

Yup....just going back brings it in a whole new perspective.

In which book?

about the father remark......very good eyes....i wonder. . hmm

Well, I only picked it up last week, when I watched the movie for the 8th time or so. :folder: Perhaps they just don't show him - but I find it somewhat hard to believe that.

I can't remember a lot from the books (which is a good thing when you read them again :sigh:). In the first book, it doesn't explicitely say that the father was at home when it happened. We know that Voldemort DID kill him (see end of book #4), but we don't seem to know where or when he did that. It's also only Harry's MOTHER's protection that gave him the power to defeat Quirrell. So perhaps his father was NOT at home when it happened...

Marian - reading very carefully because Rowling said Harry will learn many things in book #5, and that she hopes attentive readers have been wondering about some of them.

about the father remark......very good eyes....i wonder. . hmm

Well, I only picked it up last week, when I watched the movie for the 8th time or so. ;) Perhaps they just don't show him - but I find it somewhat hard to believe that.

I can't remember a lot from the books (which is a good thing when you read them again :)). In the first book, it doesn't explicitely say that the father was at home when it happened. We know that Voldemort DID kill him (see end of book #4), but we don't seem to know where or when he did that. It's also only Harry's MOTHER's protection that gave him the power to defeat Quirrell. So perhaps his father was NOT at home when it happened...

Marian - reading very carefully because Rowling said Harry will learn many things in book #5, and that she hopes attentive readers have been wondering about some of them.

Harry's dad must have been there. Once when he was near a dementor he heard his father say "Lily, take the boy and run." He must have been there, unless it was someone else... Besides, everyone tells him that they were killed together.

-Gamecube, hoping for many plot twists in the next books.

I KNOW!

maybe James was killed first, like downstairs or something. And Harry hears James yelling from downstairs before he's killed. And in the movie, he's not shown because harry is upstairs and james is downstairs. If that's the case, James won't be in harry's memory wouldn't he?

maybe James was killed first, like downstairs or something.  And Harry hears James yelling from downstairs before he's killed.  And in the movie, he's not shown because harry is upstairs and james is downstairs.  If that's the case, James won't be in harry's memory wouldn't he?

Yes. But in that case, his being downstairs would have to be important enough for Rowling to tell the filmmakers to not show him upstairs. Otherwise, I don't think they would have cared. IF he was left out of those scenes for a specific reason at all, that is.

I see only two possibilities. Either they simply didn't show him, for no reason at all. Or they did have a reason to not show him, but then it must have been a really important one.

Marian - also worried about Rowlings comment that she'll wrap up what happens to the characters later at the end of the last book - "those that survive". :wow:

:) The Fury (old release)

I read in an interview that one of the main characters would die and that it was very difficult event to write. I'm kinda suspicious it will be Ron.

Romaõ, who can't wait for the next Harry Potter books.

Found Goblet of Fire in a book store today. Did I get it early? I'm taking it with me on my trip. I don't know if I'll get to read it though. I'm finishing up another book first.

Neil

Sometimes I wish I'd never read Prisioner of Azkaban nor the Gobblet of Fire, then I could have the same excitment I had when I read the books all over again. :)

This has turned into one big Harry Potter thread. I love it!!!

While we're on the subject, is anyone else's favorite character the one and only Professor Albus Dumbledore? I love his lines, they are some of the best in the whole series. And his character is so fun to read about. How Jo hints at what an immensely powerful wizard he is, while he always has a sparkle in his eye and is one of the gentlest and kindest characters. I love him to death. Too bad he is fictitious. :biglaugh:

Anyway, I bet that at some point (book 7?) Dumbledore and Voldemort will have a showdown, an epic battle, and that . . . . sniff . . . . you know who will triumph. :cry: Then Harry will be forced to challenge him and ultimately defeat him, completing his journey to becoming a full-fledged wizard. Well, it's just an idea. I'd love to hear any thoguhts others have on upcoming events too!

Ray Barnsbury-logged off

:) Poor Morn doesn't know what his missing.

As for any release dates, take them with a grain of salt. This June 2003 stuff is based on statements from Scholatisc. The Leaky Cauldron posted quotes from the report last week, carried by both Bloomberg and Newsday.

Scholastic Corp. may not publish the next installment in the Harry Potter book series until the company's next fiscal year, starting June 2003, Chief Executive Dick Robinson said in an interview. ... "We think the fourth quarter in the current fiscal year is more likely," although the book could be published in the following fiscal year. "We know (Rowling) is writing it; we don't know when it will be published."

This is the closest to an official announcement that has been released so far. Several media outlets, including TVGuide.com, chose to focus only on June 2003 and started reporting it as the official release date. June 3 is certaintainly possible, but by no means official.

*SPOILERS BELOW* (for those who haven't read the third and fourth books)

Now to answer Marian's question, we don't see James die because he's out in the hall trying to fend off Voldemort so that Lily and Harry might escape. In the third book, when Harry is re-living the scene, James tells Lily to go get Harry and run. In the movie flashback, his death occurs off-screen, but you can see the blast of the spell behind Lily as she's holding Harry just prior to her own death. I suppose his death isn't shown because it happens "off-screen" in the book as well. However, chapter 34 of book four clears up any confusion about James's death. When Voldemort's and Harry's wand counter-act one another in the duel, the ghosts of Voldemort's prior victims emerge from his wand in reverse order. First Cedric, the old man, the ministry witch, and then Lily, followed finally by James. So, I guess there won't be any sudden revelations about James being alive in the remaining books. Hope that helps. Of course, I had to go grab my copy of Goblet of Fire to recall the details :oops:

That's me above. Apparently, if you remain idle to long, the board automatically logs you out. It does that in when browsing with Netscape, but not Internet Explorer, it seems. Strange. I got caught up in reading that chapter of GoF to make sure I had my facts straight and took too long, I suppose.

I didn't want to wait for paperback....how come they don't sell many import books here in the States....

Oh well....some countries are still waiting for Book 4.

Last year, I couldn't even wait two weeks or so for the paperback of, Prisoner of Azkaban, so I went and bought it, and Goblet of Fire, in hardcover the minute I finished book 2!

When Voldemort's and Harry's wand counter-act one another in the duel, the ghosts of Voldemort's prior victims emerge from his wand in reverse order. First Cedric, the old man, the ministry witch, and then Lily, followed finally by James. So, I guess there won't be any sudden revelations about James being alive in the remaining books.

Yes, I remembered that. That he died before Lily is a fact. I can't remember that other bit you mentioned though, with Harry reliving the scene. I have to pay attention when I get to it.

What I was trying to say: He's dead, but from what I could remember, it wasn't sure he really died at his house.

Marian - who bought Goblet of Fire's hardcover edition after he had finished the first three books which he borrowed from friends, so he decided to get the hardcover editions of those for last Christmas. :)

Could they go ANY MORE OVER THE TOP

Why over the top? We're discussing and analyzing four books that have been anazyled and read.

with this advanced hype??

What is advanced about it?

Marian - truly wondering. :?:

No one has mentioned Dumbledores's momentary look of triumph when Harry tell him about how Voldemort returned. It is a quick moment that is easy to miss but so full of intent. What does it mean.

And someone above said a main character dies. She(JKR) has never said that. None of the three main characters is likely to die, Now Dumbledore, Snape, McGohnagal,Sirius, Lupin, one or more of those may die. And is Harry and Hermione to become an item. That I doubt.

There seems to me to be alot of romantic tension building between Ron and Hermione. I hope they find a nice path for themselves.

Plus who is to say that after book 7, that JKR wont decide to treat us to a story of a fully grown Harry Potter.

When others scoff at Harry Potter, they just are not fortunate enough to have either read the books, be enchanted by the books, or have a soul :) No seriously HP isn't for everyone, nothing is.

Marian, remember the dementors in Azkaban, when Harry got near them he relieved his parents death.

And someone above said a main character dies.  She(JKR) has never said that.

No, not that I know. She did say though that "there will be more deaths". And that one of them was particularly hard to write, and will be hard to re-write.

None of the three main characters is likely to die, Now Dumbledore, Snape, McGohnagal,Sirius, Lupin, one or more of those may die.

I don't know. IF one of the three main characters dies, I bet it's Ron. Other speculations by friends include Dumbledore and Hagrid - the latter doesn't sound so unlikely to me, either.

Now if she kills of Hermione, I'll be really angry.

And is Harry and Hermione to become an item.  That I doubt.

There seems to me to be alot of romantic tension building between Ron and  Hermione.  I hope they find a nice path for themselves.

Yes. She also said there will be "more boy/girl stuff" in book #5.

Plus who is to say that after book 7, that JKR wont decide to treat us to a story of a fully grown Harry Potter.

It might take her 50 years to finish it though, considering her current writing speed. :)

Regarding Azkaban, I really can't remember, but I'll be finishing Chamber shortly, so I'll know soon.

Marian - who didn't notice that look by Dumbledore, but has heard various Dumbledore theories.

Could they go ANY MORE OVER THE TOP with this advanced hype??

I agree with the remark about not having been able to read the books etc etc.......i don't know how any one couldn't at least enjoy the series if they have read them..

i don't know about H and H but H and R is a definite maybe.

And about the D look of triumph.....hmmmm I noticed that before and I think it means something but not sure.

I am wondering how everyone is going to get Corneilius Fudge to believe Voldemort is back.

First off, these books are incredible. Unless you have read them, don't form an opinion.

Now as for the next book, I talked to some people in the "know" and they said that the reason she is behind with this book is that she didn't expect theme to get so popular that now she is slightly intimidated with making sure the next one is as good. She's a little scared and because of that, it's not flowing out of her organically like it once was..... read into it what you will...

Oh, and I think Hermione and Ron will get together, not Hermione and Harry... It makes a lot more sense. There already a great tension between the firt two, which to me implies that they bicker with each other because they really like each other but won't admit it yet...

my thoughts exactly about H and R.

but why did they make such a big deal about her kiss with Harry?

And I can't believe Krum and Hermione - 18 and 14.......that's a little sketchy :) :wow:

I am beginning to suspect that Fudge is a supporter of you know who.

I am afraid that a fan of HP who is to die might be Seamus, or Neville. Maybe Colin, or Ginny. I really hope the Weasely's don't lose anyone in the upcoming books, but I sort of expect it to happen, which will cause a major rift between Ron and Harry. But it will work out in the end. I expect the Malfoy's to get their comupance in a big way. I think the young Mr. Malfoy will end up dying. Won't shed a tear over that at all.

Who is the younger boy who is all over Harry? You know, the one that worships him like a hero? I think it's him, or what makes a lot of sense... Dumbledore, as much as I hate it to be him

you know, i wonder about neville too....since we learned so much about him in book 4...i wonder if he'll be dying.

Dumbledore's look of triumph certainly is mysterious. Perhaps he is not what we think he is.

I agree that H and R will probably happen, given the events of book #4. At least more likely than H and H.

And remember what Dumbledore said at the end of GoF? Sometihn about when the time comes, everyone will have to choose what side they are on. This makes me wonder if there will be a conflict between Harry and someone close to him caused by Voldemort . . . sort of a turning to the dark side type of thing. Ron would be an interesting candidate for this.

Ray Barnsbury

i agree, ron seems to be susceptible to something like that. There are so many things to think about, H/H, H/R, Dumbledore's look, Fudge's disbelieving, V and H's wands (Priorium Incantatum)

hmm

Don't forget the reason why you know who tried to kill Harry in the first place. It is surley something we will see in the next few books.

Don't forget the reason why you know who tried to kill Harry in the first place.  It is surley something we will see in the next few books.

Why I tried to kill Harry is not mystery. Why I killed his parents is.

Harry Potter, I am waiting for you POTTER

Don't forget the reason why you know who tried to kill Harry in the first place.  It is surley something we will see in the next few books.

Dumbledore said he knows, but that Harry wasn't yet prepared to know at the end of book #1.

Marian - wondering if it'll be important to any of the next books that Dumbledore was Transfiguration teacher when Riddle was at Hogwarts.

no no

the remark about dumbledore being transfiguration teacher in Riddle's Time....oh wait i think i remember where in book two. oh yes, in the dream sequence.

i typed before i thought about it :oops: bowdown

I am beginning to suspect that Fudge is a supporter of you know who.

Maybe, but I think more, he's just prejudiced and power crazy. (see pg 708, US Hardback).

D says one of the best lines ever. Fudge is probably "influenced" by that side.

About the triumph look hint, it's very suspicious. If D turns out to be evil, I'll throw the book into a bonfire.....

Actually, Vol wanted to kill Harry. The parents were just in the way. I'm assuming it's because of his wand. Harry's got the only opposing wand, so before he can use it, Vol wanted to kill him when he's young.