Autographed John Williams stuff - Who's got it and how?

Beowulf

How many of you have mailed John Williams (or his agent) in the hopes of receiving an authentic autographed picture or other such item, AND actually received it?

I am asking because I am thinking of trying this, and thought it would be good to know if it is at all possible.

And also, if you were successfull, which address did you use to mail the maestro?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but having a real, signed ANYTHING from John Williams would bring me great happiness.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm sure this thread was started because of that package thread gamecube. i'm interested to know this stuff as well.

i think i'm going to have my students write JW a letter after their concert.

I've a signed program but was a gift from a very dear friend. Nevertheless I've been toying with the idea of writting to Mr. Williams just to thank him for all the happines he brought to my life with his music... and as much I would love to have his autograph, or even maybe a few notes like the ones mentioned on the other topic, I would feel just happy to let him know how important to me his music is.

I have a Glossy Picture of John Williams Signed by him with a little message...... How i know it was real u may ask????? Well, I saw him sign it in front of me... I got that instead of the Essay that i wrote about him, which u can see what he said in my quote to me :jump: . Its now in my living room. But i won't tell the whole story cause its too long and thats not what this thread is about anyways.

I hope this doesn't take away from my thread.  :jump:

Most assuredly not, and I hope that I didn't give the impression that I was trying to side-step your remarkable post!

The fact of the matter is that I posted my topic independently of yours, and actually before I had even read it.

This post is more of a questionaire or "how to" type post and I hope that there is more input.

Last February I wrote a letter to Mr. Williams telling him how much I love and appreciate his music, thanking him, etc. I included a self-addressed stamped envelpe just in case, my school picture, and a pic of my JW themed b-day cake my mom made. Just last Monday, 5 months later, I received my envelope back with the pucture of the cake signed by Mr. Williams. Others seem to have had better luck. :?

Ray Barnsbury

I bought my Williams autographed b&w picture on ebay last year for around $10. It's framed and hanging on my wall.

Wow Chris!!!

Are you sure that it's authentic?

I bought my Williams autographed b&w picture on ebay last year for around $10. It's framed and hanging on my wall.

Wow Chris!!!

Are you sure that it's authentic?

I hope so. It came with a certificate of authenticity and it looks like John's signature. If it's a fake, it's a good one. The person deals lots of autographs, so I think it's legit. At least I hope it is. :)

In fact, they sell them on ebay all the time in the $10-20 range. If you trust the seller, go for it.

I still want to get one in person someday... :mrgreen: (That is the only way to know 100% for certain.)

• 3 weeks later...

Ohhh, I try so hard to get replies from John Williams but I think he's a bit scared of me. I kinda went a bit psycho and overboard on praising him in my last letter I sent him...In fact, I went psycho in all of them! :oops:

well, Beowoulf, I'd tell you to take a look at Obi-wan's thread. I tell you in good detail how I got four autographs (two of them pictures, two of them....well, read the thread). :mrgreen:

I sent three letters to JW, and got something back from him every time. I say "him" because they were all signed, not photocopied.

Jeff -- who also got a nice letter from Alan Menken that's framed with the John Williams stuff

Jeff -- who also got a nice letter from Alan Menken that's framed with the John Williams stuff

:)

You MUST tell me -- how did you get it?

I think of Alan Menken as the best second composer around! I have all his CD's and bootlegs!! :mrgreen:

-ROSS, who will bother Trumpeteer with a thousand million private messages in short.

well, Beowoulf, I'd tell you to take a look at Obi-wan's thread. I tell you in good detail how I got four autographs (two of them pictures, two of them....well, read the thread).   :)  

I sent three letters to JW, and got something back from him every time. I say "him" because they were all signed, not photocopied.

I'm very happy for you. :mrgreen:

Justin - Grrrr.... :)

Justin, you're not alone. Stefancos seems to harboring some deep-rooted anger at my "success" as well.

Hey Ross! Glad to find another Menken supporter. I wouldn't say he's the second best composer around (it's hard for me to say who is), but I always enjoy his Oscar-winning scores.

Anyway, in 1997, shortly ater losing his Oscar for "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" to "Emma," I wrote to him to express my sadness in his loss. He wrote back about a month later, saying (and I'm paraphrasing because I'm not at home where the letter is) he was glad I "took the time to write such a thoughtful and insightful letter." I did sink to utter fandom when I told him "Friend Like Me" was my favorite song of all-time. That's probably the first time he'd heard that. He also said "working on 'Hunchback' was one of the best jobs" in his career, and that's he was eagerly working on getting the stage musical going.

I don't mean to make you more envious, Ross, but it came on a personalized 4x6 card..."From Alan Menken" it said. The letter was all in his handwriting and a little like chicken scratch, but not difficult to read.

Jeff -- who would love to see that stage version of "Hunchback"

I don't mean to make you more envious, Ross, but it came on a personalized 4x6 card..."From Alan Menken" it said. The letter was all in his handwriting and a little like chicken scratch, but not difficult to read.

Jeff -- who would love to see that stage version of "Hunchback"

Sweet . . . . . :wink2:

Well, I'm more into his stage work (and you MUST hear Weird Romance to know the best of Menken), but I do have a couple of Disney bootlegs (slightly expanded Pocahontas, the rejected songs from Hunchback . . . .)

-ROSS, drooling over his keyboard.

I've got an autographed program from the Tanglewood On Parade concert from the summer of 2000. That I got when I met him in the parking lot behind the Shed at Tanglewood ;) can we say stalker?

And just this past May I went to Symphony Hall in Boston, and waited outside the stage door for him, and got a copy of the Greatest Hits album autographed.

I also got pictures of me with him on both of those occasions, which actually mean a lot more to me than his autograph....though its such a cool thought that the same hand that I shook, and that wrote that signature on those items was the same hand the wrote every note to some of the most incredible and influential music i've ever heard. :(

And he's so nice when you meet him too...If only more people were as gracious of their fans!

-JCM