Extensive ROTS Score Review

A24

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, I got tired a few paragraphs in of his nitpicking everything right down to the buzz droid in the film. I guess that means the reviewer is "hella sweet" and therefore enlightened for that. Sigh.

Well one or two visits here and he may not had done half the mistakes regarding cue placements or usage...

And he would have his buzzdroid fanfare :roll:

LOL

That is definitely true.

The review may be extensive but some how it seems to focus of the wrong things. The writer spends too much time lamenting the missing music and writing about other irrelevant details ( that is our prerogative here on the JWFan MB :joy: ). But he seems to know the score better than your average reviewer.

Long, but uninsightful. The reviewer would have done well to more carefully note the placement of cues in the film, and there he would have found RotS's greatest flaw: there is no continuity, flow, or stability. All the excellent cues seem to be intercut with dull, auto-piloted adventure music. "Anakin's Betrayal" is followed by the cartoony "Bail's Escape" and the marginally better "Swimming, Droids, and Yoda Farewell." Worse is "News of the Attack," which is simply too light to follow the catastrophic events of "Anakin's Betrayal." "Enter Lord Vader" and "Anakin's Dark Deeds" coax the score back into the tragic mode, which climaxes with "Padme's Visit." Everything goes to hell with "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan," though, with the absurd double-reprise of "Clash of the Lightsabers." "The Boys Continue" is a fun cue to listen to, and while the huge brass fanfares and tubular bells do well to herald doom, they hardly touch on the inward, emotional battle "of the heroes," and the music for Yoda and Palpatine in the middle of the cue is, again, cartoony. "Battle of the Heroes" itself is pretty good, though the climax is too sudden. "The Immolation Scene" is one of the best cues, bringing Star Wars to new emotional lows - and while "Anakin Crawling" and "The Birth of the Twins" aren't bad, they fail to maintain the atmosphere of seriousness established by "Immolation Scene." "The Death of Padme" is from Episode I, and all I can say is that original music would have been so much better. "Plans for the Twins" absolutely kills the mood with light-hearted renditions of all the next film's themes, and comic music for the droids. "Padme's Funeral," while it reuses the Episode I music again, works, because the arrangement is different, incorporating the Imperial March. "A New Hope" (the unreleased section of this helps) suitably ends the film. I hate the performance of "End Credits," and Leia's Theme and/or "The Throne Room" ought to have been replaced by Anakin's Theme/The Imperial March. The credits end on a happy note, which makes no sense, given the film's events.

I suppose a lot of this is due to the editing of the film. There's too much lightheartedness in the end ("Plans for the Twins" scene). Still, I feel like Williams could have done more to ease the strain caused by this editing.

and the marginally better "Swimming, Droids, and Yoda Farewell." Worse is "News of the Attack,"hich is simply too light to follow the .

i love this cue.It doesn't have any thematic comnnection with the rest of the score,but it's one of those gem little marches Williams should do a lot more .It's kind of like the English Army march that pops up at the end of ToD.

K.M.

Cerrabore anakin crawling fit the scene very well....

And about padme's death, the music as williams and lucas think works excellent, but a new piece as you say (and williams) could had been even better, but without any connection...

BTW i heard TPM version and its damn short, i like ROTS' more and i think it has more of a finale, not ends abruptly ('which was destroyed master ot the aprentice')

And padme's funeral, i wouldnt change anything. It even can be refered as naboo funeral music :).