Munich Score. 'Best before'...

Luke Skywalker

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See the movie first, but stay for the end credits. That's what I did. It is really something to know why Williams wrote the notes the way he did on first hearing.

I think listening to the score first takes something away from the movie experience. It's like reading the script first. The affects of the music isn't the same in some ways because you've already familiarized yourself with it.

Tim

If you have bought the album listen to it first and then see the film when you are familiar with the music. That usually enhances my watching experience. After you have grasped the structure of the music on the CD it is very satisfying to hear the score in the film. Atleast that works for me.

Christ... the site ate my long reply and I can't be bothered to type it all up again, so I will make it shorter:

Sometimes it seems people forget that the music is written to serve the movie, not to serve John Williams fans. So if the music is "mixed low" or "left out" it was done for a reason, during editing/mixing because that's what the filmmakers thought worked the best. You may or may not agree with them, but since you don't know how or why those decisions were made, it is very hard to argue against them. For movies like Harry Potter and Jurassic Park, music may work great being more up front and loud, whereas for Munich, I think the way the music is mixed works perfectly, not to interfere or manipulate too much.

I would see the (great) movie first, since it helps you appreciate the music more. Like the suspense music, which isn't that interesting, musically on its own, but knowing the connection to the movie it can affect you more and make you appreciate it.

So if the music is "mixed low" or "left out" it was done for a reason

But not always a good reason.

That is your opinion. It's subjective. Some might like it, some might not, but you don't really have much to compare with, when you haven't been present during editing and mixing :( Maybe they know something you don't.

I generally don't like listening to any score first, before the film.

Tim

Really?

I always listen to scores before the film. Williams' music stands so well on its own that I don't feel I lose anything by not watching the film first

I'll wait a week.

If i havent been able to watch the movie right then, i'll check the CD.

I dont want a brand new dust collector! :devil:

I have to admire your self discipline in this case. Wild T-Rexes could not keep me from opening a brand new JW score and listening to it :|

-Mikko who just got the Munich CD yesterday and has listened to it about 4 times-

Oh I do not think wild T-Rexes are worse than the domesticated variety. Worse table manners I guess. But pretty lame adversary for a soundtrack junkie in need of his yearly dose of JW. :|

Now all I have to do is to see the movie which is opening this Friday here in Finland. I am still puzzled why the Memoirs of a Geisha is landing here so late (in March). Oh well one JW film at a time :devil:

For me, I tend to appreciate a score even more if a I've listened to it before I've seen the film. Most of the time, music for me needs time to digest. I know when I first heard Battle of the Heroes, I didn't think much of it but over time grew to love it. When I finally saw the film, I was floored.

Also (and I don't know if it goes for the rest of you, but it does for me) when I'm familiar with the score, I can hear it a lot better. I'm able to seperate it a little more from the dialogue and sound effects because I've heard it on its own so many times.

You must be confused. It's okay, I forgive you. Now- tell the people the truth. The one about how one should without a doubt see the film before hearing the score.