The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

You have to look at it from the perspective of the film as well.

True...the entire film should have been shortened drastically, as well. ;)

But the bigger picture is that in 1979, the only Enterprise anyone had ever seen was the 1966 one on their small, sometimes B&W TV screens. This was not only re-energizing a love affair between Kirk and the ship, but also between its fans and Star Trek. This symbolized, through the Enterprise, not only that Star Trek was back, but this was a bigger, bolder and more detailed look at the universe than we'd ever seen before. A tribute to the fans and to the imagination of the franchise.

And that sounds absolutely great in writing, but at the end of the day, the scene is just too long for me, and that's that. Like I said, I'd rather be left asking for more than wondering what else I could have been doing with my time. Although I didn't see TMP until later, I do know fans of TOS who did see the film when it opened and felt similarly to me. Upgrading Star Trek to "a bigger, bolder and more detailed look at the universe" is great. I support that 100%. But too much of a good thing is still too much!

Just out of curiousity, do you feel the same way about some of the scenes in 2001?

To be honest, I still haven't finished 2001. ;) I ought to do that this weekend. But anyway, from what I have seen, I do feel similarly. Again, I'm not asking for 10 seconds' worth of quick edits and fancy camera moves. It's okay to go slow. But both films feel unnecessarily slow to me. The pace actually hurts the attempt at showcasing these ships' grandiose beauty. I find myself focusing on how long the sequences are, rather than on the content. It's distracting.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...