The FSM Top 40

John Crichton

It's time again for FSM's annual list of the top 40 film composers working today. Last year saw Zimmer take the #1 spot and Williams #3 for the second straight year. You would think Williams' lack of output this last year would mean a severe drop, we'll see. Also, how high will Giacchino be after the Summer of Giacchino? He was #9 last year.

31-40

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it by quality or quantity? Or both?

Quality is an outmoded concept; $$$ is the only relevant consideration today.

They don't call it show business for nothing.

Next.

I loved this bit from Ramin Djawadi's profile, talk about textbook damning with faint praise:

"With so few major credits to his name, Djawadi was a surprising choice for the project, but the filmmakers supposedly wanted someone who would bring the currently popular Zimmer approach to the music, and while the end result may not rank among the classic superhero scores like Williams's Superman or Elfman's Batman, his music managed to fulfill its dramatic duties while staying true to the Zimmer influence."

That's right Djawadi, Zimmer will show you the way. He is your guiding light and our saviour. The Doom of JWfan will soon be decided.

The Synth, the Synth,

To Media Ventures we will take you.

I would imagine John Williams' accomplishments and name will keep him in the top 10 or 20.

Er, how about the top 1?!

His lack of work is what dropped him from number #1 last year, it will be the same this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well we probably know who is in the top 10. Based on current work this is how it will probably be (Williams deserves top 5 even if he is in semi-retirement):

And I'm guessing at the order.

1. Michael Giacchino

2. Hans Zimmer

3. James Horner

4. John Powell

5. John Williams

6. James Newton Howard

7. Alexandre Desplat

8. Danny Elfman

9. Thomas Newman

10. Steve Jablonsky

Well we probably know who is in the top 10. Based on current work this is how it will probably be (Williams deserves top 5 even if he is in semi-retirement):

And I'm guessing at the order.

1. Michael Giacchino

2. Hans Zimmer

3. James Horner

4. John Powell

5. John Williams

6. James Newton Howard

7. Alexandre Desplat

8. Danny Elfman

9. Thomas Newman

10. Steve Jablonsky

I expect Mr. John Room to be no 1.

The box set is fantastic. I spent the whole first day just staring at it. ;)

I'm dying to get it, but I might be able to afford it in 2015. Assuming I don't spend all my money on hoverboards and tickets to JAWS 19.

I'll flip out if Giacchino replaces Zimmer at #1. I'd love to see it and I think Giacchino is the best working full time today, but realistically it might be another year or two away. I'm thinking Zimmer first, Giacchino second.

I'd be surprised to see Williams in the top 5.

This list is just awful. First off, 40 composers is way too much. There are only like 40 composers working today, so a Top 40 would inherently include everybody. If it would just rank all the composers that did something this year, that would make more sense. Second, what's the criteria here? Half of these composers didn't do anything in 2009, so how can they be the best of the year?

John Williams belongs in 40th place if he is to be on the list at all.

The box set is fantastic. I spent the whole first day just staring at it. ;)

I'm dying to get it, but I might be able to afford it in 2015.

Same here ... :( How soon do you guys think it'll be gone? Any chance it might get reprinted like the Blue Box did? :)

It should stick around for awhile.

But given the costs that more than likely went into this set, I doubt a reprint would happen once it sells out.