What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I was really jazzed about Mass Effect: Andromeda, but after reviews have come out and the reception seems very lukewarm I think I'll pass for now. I'll probably pick up Horizon instead. 

I'm about 50 hours into Horizon and am close to wrapping it up. This will very easily be my game of the year depending on whether Red Dead gets delayed or not. 

I got Mass Effect but I might break up big open world games with something like Resident Evil 7 or Titanfall 2. 

I'm nearing the end of the main campaign of GTA V, on PC. It's awesome, and has held my attention in a way Far Cry Primal did not (although I'm going to return to that once this is done). 

Finished Horizon last night. Final thoughts and select screenshots...

Anyone who owns a PS4 is doing themselves a disservice by not playing this game.  Guerrilla really managed to create something special with this one, and I look forward to where they take the sequel, despite my not liking the after credits cliffhanger. The story is rich and engrossing with some really deep sci-fi roots. The way the player experiences the narrative can be a bit stagnant (90% of it is by watching holograms and reading data files), but it's enveloped in the most lush and detailed open world environment I've experienced. Nearly every angle is a horizon (no pun intended) money shot worthy of a screenshot; I took about 50 using the in-game photo mode. The way they designed the landscapes and verticality continually impress; it's never boring to just run or ride around aimlessly and the draw distances are fantastic. The combat is a perfect balance between arcade and deeper gameplay mechanics. Each machine requires a different approach, and all hell can break loose very easily if you end up in a giant brawl. My final clocked time to 100% the game was 55 hours, but you can easily cut out the open world RPG elements and stick to the campaign if you wish. I imagine that would take about 15-20 hours. Screenshots within spoiler tag to avoid layout issues.

17621882_4453516775731_3851539786216808642_o.jpg

17635220_4453517215742_4216253068657035242_o.jpg

17620564_4453533096139_525361306080759755_o.jpg

17621757_4453526615977_8352367608046505597_o.jpg

17635284_4453531416097_7404878391375458360_o.jpg

17635237_4453526135965_9151727497441436464_o.jpg

17635581_4453515295694_5761382906449962039_o.jpg

17620133_4453531016087_8270789557262733377_o.jpg

17635443_4453524415922_3067459540910034973_o.jpg

17504996_4453518095764_6450098015666906420_o.jpg

17546669_4453502895384_6797350637661156447_o.jpg

Ultimately I decided to restart and finish an old gem, DanganRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair, instead of anything major. This time on the PS4. With the third game coming out later this year, I wanted to catch up and clear this one as well as Ultra Despair Girls.

Something about this series is so infectious in how bizarre and random it is. From the art direction and animations to the incredible music and character development. It's a Japanese hodgepodge of so many different styles and gameplay that once you get invested it's hard to put down. That being said, they take a lot of commitment and focus to get through simply due to the visual novel nature of it all. Only reason I abandoned ship a couple years ago was because I dove straight into 2 after beating 1 on the Vita. Needed something different after so long. Nevertheless, returning to the formula after a longer period of time is refreshing. 

Yeah. Not that I was exactly burning the midnight oil every Friday night before. But that Friday evening feeling that i could go out and have loads of drinks and meet colorful, interesting women people....

It's all gone mate!

That sucks, wanting to go out but not really being able to. I only tend to go out on a Saturday nights anyway, so for many years Fridays have just been chill out in front of the tv evenings. 

I made a start on Dragon's Age Inquisition, which I picked up in the PSN sale for £2.99! Also nabbed myself a Steam copy of Infinite Warfare for £6.64 and whoa, I'm seriously into this campaign. It's frickin' spectacular! 

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

I made a start on Dragon's Age Inquisition, which I picked up in the PSN sale for £2.99! Also nabbed myself a Steam copy of Infinite Warfare for £6.64 and whoa, I'm seriously into this campaign. It's frickin' spectacular! 

It was my favorite FPS last year. 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

It was my favorite FPS last year. 

You probably remember that I'm not particularly a fan of the Call of Duty franchise, but I always fancied trying this one due to its futuristic space setting. Seemed rude not to at the price, so yeah. Was loving it last night and I'm really looking forward to getting back on it later! Definitely the best CoD I've played since Modern Warfare. The sense of urgency in the storyline and the way it feeds into propulsive design of the missions is really top notch, especially for what is largely a stale genre these days. 

14 hours ago, Quintus said:

You probably remember that I'm not particularly a fan of the Call of Duty franchise, but I always fancied trying this one due to its futuristic space setting. Seemed rude not to at the price, so yeah. Was loving it last night and I'm really looking forward to getting back on it later! Definitely the best CoD I've played since Modern Warfare. The sense of urgency in the storyline and the way it feeds into propulsive design of the missions is really top notch, especially for what is largely a stale genre these days. 

Yeah it really sunk its teeth into me and I dedicated quite a bit of time to beating it on Veteran. Thought the graphics and voice acting were above COD standard, and I really enjoyed the characters. Infinity Ward develops the best campaigns for the franchise hands down. Ghosts was my favorite since Modern Warfare, preceding this one.

The Witcher 3: Complete Edition including all DLC on sale at Amazon for thirty bucks

Should I pull the trigger?  Zelda 19 has certainly grabbed my interest in modern open world games, and this is supposed to be one of the best.

Well it was my habit before we knew it was called Breath of the Wild, and I suppose 19 is quicker to type than BOTW.  But yea, its the 19th

Zelda 1 = The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Zelda 2 = The Adventure of Link (NES)

Zelda 3 = A Link To The Past (SNES)

Zelda 4 = Link's Awakening (GB)

Zelda 5 = Ocarina of time (N64)

Zelda 6 = Majora's Mask (N64)

Zelda 7 = Oracle of Ages (GBC)

Zelda 8 = Oracle of Seasons (GBC)

Zelda 9 = Four Swords (GBA)

Zelda 10 = Wind Waker (GC)

Zelda 11 = Four Swords Aventure (GC)

Zelda 12 = Minish Cap (GBA)

Zelda 13 = Twilight Princess (GC)

Zelda 14 = Phantom Hourglass (DS)

Zelda 15 = Spirit Tracks (DS)

Zelda 16 = Skyward Sword (Wii)

Zelda 17 = Link Between Worlds (3DS)

Zelda 18 = Tri-Force Heroes (3DS)

Zelda 19 = Breath of the Wild (Wii U)

Too slow Bloodboal, too slow

Looks like you passed over Four Swords Adventure and Tri-Force Heroes - undoubtedly the worst entries anyway!

Since I play mostly RPG's I can say Witcher is not my favorite. It's good but sometimes a bit too heavy handed in "political intrigue" instead of being a true fantasy story. Didn't help that I had crashes playing it and made me paranoid my save games would get corrupted as it happened to some people. I think I liked Dragon Age Inquisition better

Finishing up Dragon quest Heroes. I was a bit hard at times since i rarely play these types of hack and slash games. . There was a lot of "defend" this and that from monsters missions which I find annoying. Anyways with this and DQ Builders I am now more versed in the Dragon Quest universe. I hope Dragon Quest XI makes it here

Isn't Dragon Quest 11 officially announced as coming here?

Now when are you going to pick up a 3DS so you can play through Dragon Quests 4-9?

As far as I'm aware the Witcher 3 has no issues now that it's been updated multiple times since it was first released. Performance and reliability on the PS4 version was near flawless. Developer CDProjekt have a sterling reputation for looking after its games and customers long after release. 

If I'd had the same buggy crashy experience KM had with it, I reckon I'd have deep hateful memories of The Witcher 3.

One thing I love about the PS4 is these huge AAA games that come out at $60 are later available in new versions with all DLC added and patches applied, all right on the disc, easily found like $20 literally less than a year later.  That never happens with Nintendo; To get Mario Kart 8 with all DLC costs you $80 today as it would have 3 years ago.

Sure, if you also buy a $300 new system with it :)

Maybe I should have used Smash 4 as my example; Regardless you get my point right.

Most games make the most money during the first two weeks of release. Then there are the rare juggernauts that maintain a high price tag for extended periods of time just because of how successful and in demand they are, such as GTA V and Overwatch. 

The sales of GTA V continue to astonish.  It was like the #2 best selling game of March, and it came out 4 years ago!

Some podcast I was listening to, or article I read, was saying that the huge sales are spurred by lots of youtube videos;  IE kids love watching lot of videos of people doing crazy shit in the game and end up buying the game because of them

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

They're just not my thing, GTA games.  Neither is Minecraft, another perennial mainstay of the sales charts.

Not just that, it's the best selling game of all-time. More than Tetris. Let that sink in and register. It sells 57,000 copies a day last time I checked. 

11 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Not just that, it's the best selling game of all-time. More than Tetris. Let that sink in and register. It sells 57,000 copies a day last time I checked. 

It certainly is a phenomenon!  But in the words of our friend Woody, "So is acid rain."

I'm sort of between games at the moment, some half played and others I can't make my mind up about. It's really difficult deciding which one to play!  

#GoldenAgeProblems