What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Yeah I've been playing that for months. Really addicting and passes the time when I'm out of the house. Add me on Origin, my name is shalomps3 (default EA creation based on my PSN name).

Never thought I'd actually pay money for an app but I think I've put $15 into that one for donuts, over time.

Wow, I encountered a near game breaking bug in Darksiders 2. Somehow I managed to jump past a bridge without pulling the lever to raise it as was supposed to be for my NPC to cross it . That NPC materialized out of nowhere a bit further down the path and now I'm stuck on that side forever with no way for him to cross back

There's no manual saving in this game

Edit:I managed to get out of there by "exploiting" the fast travel system (again not as the game meant) . I have no idea if I screwed everything up since I cheated to solve a quest bug

The game basically checkpoints every new room you enter so there's no wiggle room. Even if you kill yourself you reappear at the same spot

Even the Fast Travel said "Unavailable at this time" because I had a NPC with me doing a main story quest and actively carrying some item .

Only by going into the menu, selecting a side quest as my "current quest" , then I was able to warp out of that room. My NPC re-appeared in the room he was supposed to when I got back to the dungeon. I also went back to raise the fucking bridge that got me stuck

I just feel I used an unintended game feature to get past a bug that could have cost me 15 hours of gameplay. I'm really paranoid about the rest of it now

3 potential major turn offs for me for Ps4 or next xbox:

Will the next gen consoles force you to connect to the internet at all time, even when playing solo campaign games? Or will they deem the CoD/Netflix crowd is enough to sustain them and fuck what everyone else wants

Will the new xbox force you to connect Kinect (on top of the live internet connection) for the console to work?

Will the games play off disks and you can still buy used games? Or will they impose some kind of streaming shit, or live disk activation

Holding my breath, but I think Microsoft and Sony might have conspired to make life difficult for the gamer next gen with anti used games tactics and cameras spying into your living room at all times

Another thing , I don't even recognize my xbox360 dashboard since I started using it 3 years ago. The PLAY GAME option (and all game related options) seems hidden into some sub-menus as though it wasn't the console's main purpose anymore. Trying to purchase a game DLC is an extremely complicated affair too .The rest is all internet/movie subscribtion/ social media shit I never used.

The always-online thing is a total non-issue for me since I'm always connected regardless of what I'm playing. I don't disconnect to play single player games. It's potentially only ever a problem if launch incompetence in regards to server load results in a breakdown under pressure, but one can only assume that serious lessons were learned after the Diablo 3 farce.

I can see myself fancying the PS4 over the Xbox, but unfortunately for me I'm bound to Microsoft's damn living room hub bollocks by virtue of being bound to the Halo franchise and the fact that Bungie's upcoming expected game changer Destiny is said to remain an Xbox exclusive for the first couple of years.

As for reported efforts to stamp out second hand game sales, well it's bang out of order. But it's also a long time coming at the same time; an inevitability just as the stricter policing of of online piracy is in its own realm. The wild west freedom days are coming to an end and were great while they lasted. However, I've already adapted to digital media anyway - MUCH preferring to download games cheaply during the sales and enjoying the beautifully simple method of accessing them from my hard drive library with the click of a button the same as one would play tracks on iTunes. Steam has paved the way for this trend and it's just brilliant for pc. If Sony and Microsoft aren't generous in their sales then I'll simply vote with my wallet and stick to Steam for my 75% off spending orgies.

Which leads me perfectly to Valve's upcoming 'Steam Box', which is surely a solution you should think about, KM.

Always online sucks if you still live in dialup only regions or have harsh download caps. I could imagine having to take my laptop to a free wifi area to download Steam games, back them up, and install the archives onto my gaming desktop if either condition still applied for me. Forced online is still an insulting way to prevent piracy that can inconvenience the honest people who buy the games, since the pirated copies would have seen the DRM removed. At least Steam has offline mode and lets you have games installed on multiple machines. I now prefer GOG over Steam because it has no DRM and lets you download the games completely without forcing the use of a game front end like Steam.

But the PC market has long moved away from permitting the sale and purchase of used games if they require the registration of serial numbers like for Steam. Heck, used games have little resale value because of rampant copying unless the game becomes rare. Older games that predate Steam or that don't use it, they're okay. I bought Crysis used and it works fine.

you changed back to quint?

Plus I don't see why any of you guys buy the 2 consoles like I did (PS and Xbox).

I never regretted I did because I played a lot of exclusives on both. I say I play about 30% PS3 and 70% xbox360 overall

I bought both, KM. Uncharted was the reason why, and Killzone 3 multiplayer. Oh and blu - ray.

Other than that I do all my gaming on Xbox and PC.

Yeah I changed back to Robert Shaw, because Lee D just felt wrong somehow.

Actually Koray, my bad, you appear to be right - they seem to have revised their initial statements regarding exclusivity. Last year the belief (after leaked contractual documents) was that the first game would only see an Xbox release, but that looks to have changed now:

Bungie's contract with Activision for the Destiny universe, which outlines the release of a number of games over the next 10 years, suggested the first game in the series would be a timed Xbox exclusive. But comments from Bungie and Activision executives at the reveal event suggest otherwise.

"You'll definitely be playing on Xbox and you'll definitely be playing on PlayStation," Parsons said.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-17-destiny-requires-an-internet-connection-to-work

But what does that really mean? My guess is he's referring to an eventual release on the Sony machine. It could still end up a timed exclusive on the Xbox platform.

One thing I would never do though is trust in a retailer's own listings.

Why would anyone pre-order a game that isn't coming out until 2014?

Why not? Pre-order doesn't really mean what it used to anymore. It's not like I'm spending the $60 now and waiting over a year before I get the product, I can simply reserve a copy on Amazon or wherever. I typically pre-order when a final release date or pre-order incentives are announced.

Actually Koray, my bad, you appear to be right - they seem to have revised their initial statements regarding exclusivity. Last year the belief (after leaked contractual documents) was that the first game would only see an Xbox release, but that looks to have changed now:

Bungie's contract with Activision for the Destiny universe, which outlines the release of a number of games over the next 10 years, suggested the first game in the series would be a timed Xbox exclusive. But comments from Bungie and Activision executives at the reveal event suggest otherwise.

"You'll definitely be playing on Xbox and you'll definitely be playing on PlayStation," Parsons said.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-17-destiny-requires-an-internet-connection-to-work

But what does that really mean? My guess is he's referring to an eventual release on the Sony machine. It could still end up a timed exclusive on the Xbox platform.

One thing I would never do though is trust in a retailer's own listings.

Activision seems to have that going with Call Of Duty DLC but I just don't see it happening with a huge disc release. Limbo is another example of Xbox getting a timed exclusive, but again this is all digital store content.

I think Destiny looks great and will certainly be getting it for the PS4, whenever it's available. I'm excited for the announcement later today for the console. I'm predicting that The Last Guardian will be a launch title. The game has been under wraps for 7 years and all we keep hearing is that it's still being made. The game's creator and director, who is now working freelance for Sony, said a week ago or so that he's still involved and working on it and that it's up to Sony to announce it. I think today may be the day.

Did you take a look at the prototype of the controller over on IGN? I hope it's completely false information because it looks too much like the 360 ;)

Larger D-Pad, different nubs on the joysticks, spring-loaded triggers... bah!

Sigh, so the PS4 is to be a socially driven platform. Yawn. I'm not on FB. I'm not interested in "sharing" my high scores or "creations".

Sigh. Stop trying to ruin my favourite pastime with social trends.

I hate everything I read about it so far.

The main goal of it seems Facebook stuff and integration to mobile phones, tablets and the Vita

"most of the interactions of the
PS4 will be done with friends using real names and profile pictures.
PS4 is designed to be "seamlessly interconnected" with your social life.
"

That Share button will let
players broadcast their games to Facebook in real time, said David
Perry, CEO and founder of Gaikai, which Sony purchased last year. That
will allow your friends to "look over your shoulders virtually and
interact," he said. Friends can post comments on your screen, but if
you're stuck on a level or need assistance, a friend can actually take
over your controller and guide you through a level.

"Our long-term goal is to make every PS4 title playable on the Vita," Perry said.

Apps and Web platforms,
meanwhile, will allow for PS4 conversations to be carried "far beyond
the living room," Cerny said. "Keep in touch with the evolving world of
your game regardless of your location."

"Our long-term vision to reduce download times of digital games to zero

so what's that supposed to mean, I'm guessing games won;t have disk releases.

It's the only natural next step, what else were you expecting? The current gen is pretty much already maxed out. All the clips they showed, while impressive, look just as good as the best PS3 games.

This gen is going to be about fluidity and social integration. They claimed to have eradicated the loading screen. That is huge.

Also, not only is Destiny coming straight to PS3 and PS4, it'll have Sony exclusive content ;)

I don't want to play fucking CoD with friends watching my face in my living room and post my kills on Facebook

I want to play RPG's alone with a graphical update that the next gen is capable of

Because everything about the PS4 seems geared towards multiplayer games, Facebook and "sharing" whatever with friends

I like single player scripted games, and I don't read anything about that so far.

This is the hobby I got into. I never liked playing online and probably never will

Crap I'm pissed, The next xbox is probably going to be even worse than this

Because everything about the PS4 seems geared towards multiplayer games

I like single player scripted games

If tradition is anything to go on the console will have plenty of that as well. The most important thing here, as always, are the games themselves. Some will be multiplayer-heavy and others won't.

And the gameplay that I've seen is definitely a step up graphically and technically from the PS3. It's not as big a leap as the PS2 was to the PS3, but it's still the best graphics I've ever seen on a home console.

Watchdogs is far and away the game I'm most looking forward to next gen. It looks INCREDIBLE. I'm talking the best game I've ever played sort of incredible. The footage shown has been confirmed as running on PC, though. Christmas can't get here soon enough, I'm giddy at the thought of playing that astonishing looking piece of game design.

Killzone 3 looks visually stunning of course but it also looks almost entirely funnelled like the previous games and with loads of tedious rail sections. Whack-a-mole CGI, then, but hopefully not interrupted every five minutes with yet another bleedin' cutscene. Gameplay itself looks last gen. Colour me cautious.

Shame there wasn't more to see of Destiny, but after seeing Watchdogs I'm suddenly not as bothered about it as I was. Apparently the Xbox will get its own exclusive content, too, so deciding which platform to get it on could be interesting, but I reckon it'll just be gimmicky superficial additions anyway (like the extra sewer missions in Rage) whichever one you go for which might even eventually become available to both systems after a time anyway. Mass Effect did the same.

Jonathan Blow's game looked intriguing as well, but the pre-rendered trailers for everything else were completely meh. Overall I'm disappointed and underwhelmed with Sony's big unveiling and absolutely expected MUCH more dazzling reveals from them. Oh well, it's still early days I suppose.

The problem is the "masses" playing Farmville and Angry Birds and other shit games on their ipads on the bus.

I just want to throw up when I see someone on the bus playing some stupid arcade game on their ipad

The problem is the "masses" playing Farmville and Angry Birds and other shit games on their ipads on the bus.

I just want to throw up when I see someone on the bus playing some stupid arcade game on their ipad

If they think they're fun what's the problem?

There is still E3 to go. We haven't even seen the system itself.

KM, this is a reveal, you're acting like all the new features are all there will be. You'll still have your single-player RPGs. Cut the government paranoia bullshit.

Still, now Microsoft and Sony want to cater as much as possible to these "casual gamers" for the next gen at the expense of traditional gamers

Don't worry KM, I sincerely believe your gaming tastes will still be looked after. There might be some minor irritations added to them, but it'll be a small price to pay for the staggering upgrade in visual fidelity you'll behold.

Games production budgets are going to be astronomical now. Those beautiful art assets have to be funded somehow, and so it's only to be expected that they should want to try to recoup some costs on Facebook LIKES and advertising TWEETS as "shared" by gamers.

I want consoles that I just pop in the disk and play. Not manage a bunch of online social accounts I don't want for it to work

The main reason I don't have Facebook is the possibility getting my account hacked and dealing with that problem down the line, and other identity theft assorted issues.I don't want to be "forced" into it because Sony says so if I want to play Dragon Age 3

Posting on a Film Score composer forum under a pseudonym is pretty much the limit of how public I want to be online

Your delusion regarding this is really befuddling, KM. I mean I always knew you were like this, but why do you feel so insecure about doing anything online? The government already has all your information ;)

I imagine you're one of those people that are afraid to give their ID to customer service when trying to return something.

Sony isn't forcing you to do anything.

Yep. The pressure is on!

The thing is, with Sony's showing being decidedly underwhelming, Microsoft will have watched what they did with interest and now have everything to gain from their own unveil. They're bound to up the ante.

Edit: just learned that Sony has stuck 8GB of ram in their machine instead of the rumoured 4GB. That's significant: unless Microsoft pulls out a shock spec reveal there is literally nothing about their current build which can compete with the Sony system on a raw grunt level.

If true, that's my money spent already.