What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Well said, Marc. The biggest faults in The Hobbit were most certainly the writing, and what scenes they chose to include or drop. That and filming too much on a set instead in the beautiful country they were in!

BTW, what do you currently think about The Hobbit's scores by Shore?

Should have been one 3hr adventure movie. That's where they first went wrong.

All they had to do was follow what Tolkien had already written fucking down.

Yep. All of the stuff involving the Necromancer that seemed cool to have explored in detail would have been better left as in the book: vague suggestion.

fid13003.jpg

Loved it... a film about real human beings and honest emotions.

In fact it felt so real, I didn't want the film to stop.

Some great young talent in this. This gorgeous young lady for instance. :)

large.jpg

9 / 10

Jurassic Park

Felt like a 13 year old again.

The only and true Jurassic Park for me! (Y)

also some days ago:

Speed

Watched it for the 2nd time after so many years.

This must be one of my top 3 90s action films!!

I really like An Unexpected Journey and the first half of Desolation of Smaug and the material written for the dragon that was cut from the final film. But as the series progresses, the music sounds increasingly workmanlike (partly because of the dull mix on Battle of the Five Armies). Mind you, it's still above most workmanlike scores you'll hear in other films, but it's not as captivating as it could have been and there's no great sense of conclusion in the third score like there was in RotK.

I really like An Unexpected Journey and the first half of Desolation of Smaug and the material written for the dragon that was cut from the final film. But as the series progresses, the music sounds increasingly workmanlike (partly because of the dull mix on Battle of the Five Armies). Mind you, it's still above most workmanlike scores you'll hear in other films, but it's not as captivating as it could have been and there's no great sense of conclusion in the third score like there was in RotK.

TBOT5A is one of the most disappointing scores of the last 10 years! Raking slightly below Revenge Of The Sith.

Jurassic Park

Felt like a 13 year old again.

The only and true Jurassic Park for me! (Y)

also some days ago:

Speed

Watched it for the 2nd time after so many years.

This must be one of my top 3 90s action films!!

Both excellent films in their own right (seen both at least 10 times already).

I find it a bit sad that Jan de Bont hasn't gotten more projects to direct after he fell from grace in Hollywood, because Speed and Twister rank as two of my favourite action films. I even have a soft spot for Speed 2 and The Haunting.

Jurassic Park was also the first film I saw in home theater conditions when it was released on VHS at the time, and the audio in Dolby Pro-Logic surround absolutely blew me away, like for instance the T-Rex stomping around or the ripples in the glass sequence, I've been a fan of HT sound ever since. :D

Can anyone explain to me why people can watch movies like Speed more than 10 times? To me that's a movie you only see once and that's it.

Same reason anyone watches any film more than once.... They liked it. Simple action flicks certainly have their place. Fun stuff.

Can anyone explain to me why people can watch movies like Speed more than 10 times? To me that's a movie you only see once and that's it.

Why do you listen to music more than once?

You already know how it goes.. :P

I think it's exactly the same thing!

Somehow liking doesn't really explain it for me. Sure, I can like a movie, but that doesn't mean I need to see it multiple times.

Mission Impossible

DePalma really does a great job with this.

A taut, expertly directed spy/techno thriller with some standout action and suspense scenes. The vault break in being the highlight.

Well cast too, with every actor playing the type of character they are known for, with the exception of Redgrave, who plays her Max like a horny old broad.

Always fun to see how a mid 90's film depicts the Internet. :)

The usenet browser and email program looks absolutely hilarious now.

But other then that the film really looks great. With a cool 60'd Bond atmosphere. And a very effective Elfman score.

Why do you listen to music more than once?

You already know how it goes.. :P

I think it's exactly the same thing!

That's different. With music, novelty is part of the experience. However, with music, familiarity is part of the experience. Very few movies work like music. Everybody knows that you need to listen to music several time (depending on the complexity) before your brain has organized it. The best experience comes after 3 or more listens.

Alex

The best experience comes after 3 or more listens.

Alex

well, that happens to me with films too.

Every time I watch something I have seen, I discover new things.

You can't notice everything in detail with the first time (direction, cinematography, music etc.)

Not to mention that you can change opinions with multiple viewings of a film.

If the only thing you search for in movies is story, yes, I believe there's no need to see it again.

Sure, some movies I don't fully grasp at first (due to their complex nature, I'm not able to take it all in at once) but that only applies to the cinema of, let's say, Tarkovsky or Kubrick but certainly not Speed.

Oh, I don't know. I think one could benefit from a more serious repeat viewing of Speed based on its editing alone.

But I mean, this always comes down to what captivates/interests/entertains/intrigues you over the long term....I go back to Krzysztof Kieslowski and the Zucker brothers all the time, but I have no particular interest in revisiting Michael Bay or Jean-Luc Godard. Sometimes surface novelty wears off after 10 minutes, sometimes it just never gets old. Sometimes a movie invites you to dig deeper and sometimes you refuse.

I understand what you are saying but I don't think it applies to 99,9% of cinema. Even if I really like a movie, the first time is usually the best. Film is designed that way for reasons that are obvious. Music is different. You need to familiarize yourself with it. The more you know it, the better it gets (until you overdo it, of course). I only know of a few movies that worked like that.

Mission Impossible 2

Why is this film even called Mission Impossible? It has almost nothing in common with the 60's TV show or the first movie?

This is essentially just an action film by John Woo, starring Tom Cruise.

John Woo is a master in creating breathtaking shots, and the film is full of beautifully choreographed shootouts, chases, fight scenes and explosions.

And that's pretty much it. The film isnt much more then a collection of set pieces strung together by a ridiculous and hard to follow plot about a bad-guy...stealing some kind of anti-dote to a killer virus bla bla bla...

I didnt care. I found that after 1 hour I was bored by the film.

Tom Cruise is an excellent leading actor in most of his films, but he's so annoying here.

He's introduced in this film with a rock-climbing scene that reminded me of the one in Star Trek 5, but even more self indulgent. (and completely irrelevant to the story).

Ethan Hawk is supposed to be an government agent, part of a team. That's hardly noticeable here with his long hair, leather jacket in all too cool Oakley sunglasses.

It's a beautiful looking film , but also a completely soulless one. Didnt care about anyone in it, wasn't intrigued by any character, a lot of stuff happened and I was occasionally checking to see how much longer the film ran.

Technically competent, but incredibly boring.

Thandie Newton looks utterly gorgeous in it though....

Speed is fun... I want to relive fun experiences... it's that simple.

For me watching something for the twentieth time can be just as exciting or rewarding as the first time. I have that ability. My brain is hardwired that way.

I don't understand how anyone can watch something, they love it, and then never ever return to it. Because with time you forget about what made it great.

The same applies to music. There's no distinction for me.

Yea, MI2 really is quite a terrible film.

I rewatched the original three films a few years back just before MI4 came out, and I was impressed by how well MI1 held up, and also by how terrible MI2 really was. I mean I remembered it wasn't that good, but I had forgotten how boring, confusing, and unengaging it was. The third is ok.

To an extent, all the films have the fault of devolving into a Tom Cruise Action Star Solo Vehicle, instead of being about a cool spy team. It was fine in the first film because it was an original shocking story. It was the worst in the second because it was basically a solo film almost the whole time. The 3rd had a lot of team stuff to start but then he was the sole action hero by the end. The fourth finally gets back on track to being a team the whole time, although again by the end it kinda loses that. Here's hoping the fifth has a lot of great team scenes.

There's no distinction for me.

So you need at least 3 viewings before you can fully appreciate any given movie?

I do know that little children can watch the same cartoon over and over again but there's a special reason for it. Their brain can't fully process things yet.

There's no distinction for me.

So you need at least 3 viewings before you can fully appreciate any given movie?

I do know that little children can watch the same cartoon over and over again but there's a special reason for it. Their brain can't fully process things yet.

I never said I need 3 viewings. There are films I never return to (that did squat for me). But when I like something, I want to relive that experience, for how many times I want it to. It has nothing to do with getting more out of it, because I may have missed it the first time. But that can be a bonus.

Like I said, I have that ability. It's awesome !! :woop:

:blink: what exactly do you like about MI2?

It may be John Woo's visual style. The way he choreographs over the top action. Is that so weird? ;)

John Woo is great - I have no complaints about Hard Boiled, Broken Arrow, Face/Off, or Windtalkers.

To me, MI2 fails as a MI film, and as a John Woo film. It was like his heart wasn't in it. And the cliches he used in those other films (like the doves flying around) didn't work in an MI film.

I never said I need 3 viewings.

Well, when somebody tells me they experience music and film in the exact same way or that there is no distinction between the two, then I take it that their brain needs to learn the movie through the process of repetition, which is exactly what we do in order to truly appreciate music.

Other than that, I'm truly jealous of your capabilities. For instance, I was completely blown away with Watchmen the very first time I saw it, but I felt that during the second time, even though it was the director's cut, the first experience could never be equalled. In fact, in my opinion, the greatness of movies takes mostly place in our head. It's what we make them out to be.

Alex

Well, when somebody tells they experience music and film in the exact same way or that there is no distinction between the two, then I take it that their brain needs to learn the movie through the process of repetition, which is exactly what we do in order to truly appreciate music.

I didn't say I need to learn the movie.

I need to notice other aspects of it that I didn't notice the first times.

(cinematography, music, specific shots, directing etc.)

Everytime I watch a movie again that I loved the first time, I always notice little things I didn't pick up on the first time. The first time you are learning what the story is for the first time. Every viewing after that you know the story and can soak in the atmostphere and background details more. Same with music. I am still noticing new bass riffs or background vocals in Coheed songs I've heard a million times.

Well, when somebody tells they experience music and film in the exact same way or that there is no distinction between the two, then I take it that their brain needs to learn the movie through the process of repetition, which is exactly what we do in order to truly appreciate music.

Yes, but in Speed? A shallow ride? In content and execution?

Yes, but in Speed? A shallow ride?

Yes. Quick pacing movies need more viewings than other slow ones that you can notice everything since the shots aren't moving.. :P

So, Alex, you have seen only once even the film that you love most dearly of all ?

I cannot imagine myself seeing E.T. only once and that's it!

Other than that, I'm truly jealous of your capabilities. For instance, I was completely blown away with Watchmen the very first time I saw it, but I felt that during the second time, even though it was the director's cut, the first experience could never be equalled. In fact, in my opinion, the greatness of movies takes mostly place in our head. It's what we make them out to be.

Alex

It's so funny that you mention Watchmen of all films. Because I actually needed 3 viewings to appreciate it.

The first time : WTF ?

The second time : Okay ?

The third time : Wow !

In fact, in my opinion, the greatness of movies takes mostly place in our head. It's what we make them out to be.

That's beautiful, Alex.

And innovative thinking, too! Has anyone ever seen it this way before?

inside+man+(6).gif

Inside Man

I liked this when I saw it in theaters in 2006; Hadn't seen it since. All these years later I found it held up. It's a good heist film, with some nice twists on the genre, and Spike Lee interjects some Spike-Lee-ness that for the most part works well. The racial issues he threw it fit well, its the odd Violent Video Game scene that sticks out like a soar thumb. It's oddly staged (Why would Clive let the kid sit on a stack of money in the vault?), and its message has nothing to do with anything else in the entire film. You could take the scene out and the film would be no worse whatsoever, but definitely better. The story has good twists (not that they are hard to see coming), and fine acting by Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster, Clive Owen, and Christopher Plummer.