What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Aliens is beautifully paced in its theatrical cut. The Special Edition is good but it stops and starts more than necessary.

The biggest offender is Ripley stopping for that first name exchange with Hicks before the big showdown. The theatrical cuts that bullshit and she's just rushing off to get to Newt. Better.

49 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Aliens is beautifully paced in its theatrical cut. The Special Edition is good but it stops and starts more than necessary.

The biggest offender is Ripley stopping for that first name exchange with Hicks before the big showdown. The theatrical cuts that bullshit and she's just rushing off to get to Newt. Better.

I don't like the Special Edition at all, but of all the changes made that one is the least harmful to my viewing. I don't mind it at all. 

That is an effective moment and when I first saw it I thought it was a brilliant addition to the movie. In retrospect though I feel the movie already had more than enough scenes of suspense and noisy action, so in the end the sentry sequence feels redundant and I can see why they cut it. 

Cameron was absolutely right with all the cuts he made; The result is an extremely excellent and tight theatrical cut where it doesn't "feel" like anything's missing.

I simply love that we the home consumer have the option of watching either version, and on the same disc no less.  I am glad Cameron took the time to assembled and master a longer version for us to have.

I think I've seen Aliens three times but the director's cut only once. I don't have the differences between them figured out. 

I do remember the T2 director's cut being unnecessarily long. 

4 minutes ago, Woji said:

I think I've seen Aliens three times but the director's cut only once. I don't have the differences between them figured out. 

The biggest additions to the SE cut of Aliens are more backstory at the beginning about Ripley and her daughter, a whole sequence on LV-426 showing Newt's family discovering the derelict ship from Alien and getting face-huggered, and a running subplot about auto-mated sentry guns that keep the aliens away from them a few times.  There are other nice character-development additions throughout too, but those are the big additions.

It need more Vasquez!

Nothing like a hot Irish Latina!

Who also happens to be Jewish.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

The biggest additions to the SE cut of Aliens are more backstory at the beginning about Ripley and her daughter, a whole sequence on LV-426 showing Newt's family discovering the derelict ship from Alien and getting face-huggered, and a running subplot about auto-mated sentry guns that keep the aliens away from them a few times.  There are other nice character-development additions throughout too, but those are the big additions.

None of this sounds familiar. I must have only watched the theatrical cut then when I first and last viewed the Blu-ray set two years ago. 

If you ever get a hankering to watch Aliens again, definitely check out the longer cut.  It's got a lot of cool stuff.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

No it isn't!

The long cut drags and gets soft on us somewhere in the middle (when Arnie becomes some kind of father figure for the kid). Other than that, it's my favorite Cameron but then you know that by now.

Yes. The movie grinds to a halt when the heroes escape to Mexico for an hour. But since liquid man beamed in without a passport, the stricter border control of the early 1990s stopped him. 

1 hour ago, WojinPA said:

Yes. The movie grinds to a halt when the heroes escape to Mexico for an hour. But since liquid man beamed in without a passport, the stricter border control of the early 1990s stopped him. 

I just figured the Jelly Man had no idea where they went.

I watched Robert Redford look mildly stressed for nearly two hours last night in All is Lost, his one man in a boat survival movie which wastes no time whatsoever (about 30 seconds) getting into its raison d'etre and then taking its time in a way which is so authentically pedestrian it almost makes a gradually sinking vessel in the middle of the Indian ocean feel like an inconvenient annoyance as we watch a silent and suitable Redford toil and be hassled over things like taking on copious amounts of salt water and rubbish radio equipment. It's a solid watch actually, and I enjoyed it very much. However, some of the visual storytelling could have been designed and shot much more effectively since there were a few times where we sit fixated on the only character's actions as he seems to be doing something in order to stop a bad situation becoming worse, be it on deck as he for some reason fights with various sailing gear attached to the boat or beneath in the cabin where he seems to constantly shift about doing something... the reasons as to what exactly never really being clear or easy to figure out. I bet the sailors in the audience were sat their nodding their heads during those parts, but to a bloke who has only ever rowed a paddle boat in one of Southport promenade's lakes it was somewhat bewildering at times. 

Still, the storm sequences were terrifically well done on what is clearly a kickstarter sized budget and the progressively more hopeless and bleak reality of the situation eventually becomes genuinely frightening and even quite saddening, towards the end. All told this was well worth a watch for lost in the wilderness movie fans! 3.5 out of 5

wQTHdqL.jpg

Nice, that one's been on my radar for a while but I haven't had a chance to see it yet

It is not an older movie or it is not a newer movie? I thought it Came out last fall.

It is not a newer movie.  Quint posted in the correct thread.  Now leave the moderating to the moderators, please :)

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Both movies feature Newt though ...

Yes which is great.  She screams appropriately and acts appropriately with being sugary sweet.

I was just asking you don't have to be a bitch about it.

:)

Well he put the smiley face so that makes it okay. :)

30 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Yes which is great.  She screams appropriately and acts appropriately with being sugary sweet.

You see greatness in Newt? I rest my case ...

It should read without being sugary. So once again Alex is wrong. She's one of the primary reason for the hate, deservedly so, for the awful Alien 3.  Yes Great Eye Alex hates kids in movies. Why? who knows.

He does not Aliens in general so his comments about the film are as relevant...

He does love Empire of the Sun because of bale's detached performance

The little Japanese pilot who throws a big strop and collapses onto the plane wing in a puddle of tears is the greatest child performance in all of cinema history. 

Strange. First Quintus says I'm a pedophile and now he says I don't like children. 

The first time Newt didn't bother me because I wondered why she survived. I was curious to find out if she really was who people thought she was. Sadly, she was. In later viewings, I simply didn't like the mother lion protecting her new(t) cub aspect/dynamic in Aliens. It makes things disney-esque and sentimental. It's Alien for the Joeys of the world who need the Disney aspect or it feels "detached" for them.