What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

28 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Well... leave it to a Brit to create some of the most patriotic music in the history of American cinema!

Linear note fawning didn't bring Arnold back though did it. 

Fire & Ice

Considering the pithy budget ($3-4 million) and being a SyFy Original film, Pitof's third film is a much better effort than Catwoman. The plot leaves somewhat to be desired (cliched fantasy pitting two CGI dragons against each other) and the acting isn't great, but it's a passable time-waster. 

On 5/29/2016 at 0:15 PM, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

There are numerous cues and film versions missing. I prefer the stereo downmix of the 5.1 SACD release including bonus synth/choir removal. That stuff can be a little grating sometimes.

So, what's missing. Off the top of my head? The entire opening. The film version of the main title and the eerie music when they're exploring the wreck. There's a piano melody that first appears when old Rose holds that butterfly hair comb. The film version of "Southampton" in all its Rocketeer/Star Trek-like glory. The Celtic (?) music that actually features in the film like when Jack and Fabrizio catch the ship and when Jack and Rose are running from the Federation's representative from Nimbus III AKA "The Planet of Galactic Peace". There's an Apollo 13 "Night Before the Launch"-esque moment when Jack first sees Rose. The film version of "The Portrait", which sounds better than the version on Back to Titanic. Numerous renditions of that awesome ominous descending motif. Numerous cues during the sinking scenes. I don't know, we just need it all. Now.

Not to revive an older post but pretty much everything is missing.

• The opening, which is also used when Jack dies
  • The wreck music [2 1/2 Miles Down]
  • When the safe is recovered [To the Keldysh]
  • Brock sees the portrait for the first time [Rose Revealed]
  • "Yes...I would like to see my drawing"
  • The film version of Southampton (in 5/4)
  • When Jack and Fabrizio run to catch the ship [A Lucky Hand]
  • The film version of Leaving Port
  • Take Her To Sea, Mr. Murdoch (mostly the same as on the album, but the ending is different, although fortunately this is used in the end credits)
  • Jack first sees Rose [First Sighting]
  • Rose's Suicide, mostly kind of eerie drones used in the earlier stages of the sinking and, of course, Rose's suicide attempt
  • Trapped on D-Deck, which is used throughout the sinking

....and (like my heart) it goes on and on. There are so many differences between the album and film versions, either they're completely different or mixed differently (like the enhanced "claps" in "Unable to Stay, Unwilling to Leave" and the removed choir in "Rose" [another differently mixed version of it is also used when Rose's hand comes against the glass in the car]). Also not included are Gaelic Storm's contributions (the Irish music) and a few of the classical pieces (most were released but "Oh, You Beautiful Doll" - which is used prominently in several scenes, like the scene with Titanic sailing into the sunset before Jack attends the dinner - and a very-low-in-the-mix "Come Josephine In My Flying Machine").

As far as I know there are no plans to release anything, but I've got a petition to release the complete score that will hopefully raise some eyebrows (it has gotten the attention of some higher-level people). I'm trying everything I can to get additional cues released by the companies who hold the rights - right now there doesn't seem to be a plan but in speaking with some execs they actually didn't know that not everything had been released (unfortunately the 4 CD anniversary release led to a prevailing misconception that everything has been released already). But after 20 years ... it's about time, I'd say.

5 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Starship Troopers

This lack of a clear this-is-what-the-movie-is scene is probably the film's biggest failing and ultimately its bane to many moviegoers.

I just rewatched that a few days ago myself. I still think it's brilliant, and (along with the original Planet of the Apes) one of the great extravagant satires. I don't consider its undeclaredness a flaw, but rather part of its ingenuity. The thing is, it *works* as a shallow, stupid action flick. In fact, despite (or because of) all its clichéd cheapness, it works so well that you can tend to forget you're in fact watching fascist propaganda - which is exactly its point.

Its one shortcoming is perhaps that during the later parts, it gets at times so heavy on the action that the critical part of your brain can get temporarily bored.

The effects still hold up perfectly. And the score is one of Poledouris' very best, of course.

4 hours ago, Matt C said:

Fire & Ice

Considering the pithy budget ($3-4 million) and being a SyFy Original film, Pitof's third film is a much better effort than Catwoman. The plot leaves somewhat to be desired (cliched fantasy pitting two CGI dragons against each other) and the acting isn't great, but it's a passable time-waster. 

I thought you meant the Ralph Bakshi film.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I actually loved it.

The story was great and I'm not quite sure why I like this one so much better than the old trilogy. People wrote that it resembled the old ones more than the prequels, so maybe it's just the old sound that takes every bit of enjoyment away for me. Han Solo's death was heartbreaking. Did they really have to kill the only good character of the old films? Why not Leia? She sounded as if she were at death's door anyway. Here's hoping she'll kick the bucket in episode 8. I still don't understand why all these bad guys insist on wearing voice-distorting masks, or why the dark side seems so much more tempting than the good one. You'd think the Jedi were doing something wrong in their training sessions.

As for the music. I already stated in the past that I generally dislike JW's Star Wars music because messy, chaotic action isn't my cup of tea, a claim that resulted in lots of 'lol' and '...' reactions without any good argument as to why I should like it. But I do like its themes. The new ones are equally amazing. I only listened to Rey's theme in the past and didn't find it that great, but hearing it into its proper context makes all the difference. On a side note, I only seem to be able to remember the beginning of it and the beginning of The Resistance March. The score had lots of tidbits I absolutely loved, including Rey's entrance, Solo's final moment and especially the Force statements. I'll prepare myself for an OST that won't meet my demands. Hopefully JW will be able to finish the remaining episodes.

I think the fact that you enjoy the prequels and Episode 7 more than the original trilogy is very easy to understand and not weird at all - you're young.  Most guys your age probably feel the same way.

The OST is a good representation of the score, and in fact those 3 moments you highlighted are all on the OST.  There's also an FYC CD that Disney put up online with some more music, and a thread here where Faleel posted a bunch of other bits and bobs he found in the special features on the BD.

Hopefully the sessions leak sometime but nothing has yet.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

As for the music. I already stated in the past that I generally dislike JW's Star Wars music because messy, chaotic action isn't my cup of tea, a claim that resulted in lots of 'lol' and '...' reactions without any good argument as to why I should like it. But I do like its themes. The new ones are equally amazing. I only listened to Rey's theme in the past and didn't find it that great, but hearing it into its proper context makes all the difference. On a side note, I only seem to be able to remember the beginning of it and the beginning of The Resistance March. The score had lots of tidbits I absolutely loved, including Rey's entrance, Solo's final moment and especially the Force statements. I'll prepare myself for an OST that won't meet my demands. Hopefully JW will be able to finish the remaining episodes.

The thing is, the OT doesn't have "messy, chaotic" action music. It goes so far that several of its action set pieces (Here They Come, The Asteroid Field) have so much structure that they were transformed into concert pieces with very little changes.

As Jay said, the TFA soundtrack is quite complete for a SW score release. Han's death has one of the best renditions of Han Solo and the Princess.

On 6/2/2016 at 1:59 PM, Stefancos said:

Sounds like a GoT wannabee?

It was made three years before GoT premiered. It doesn't attempt any kind of political intrigue or storytelling, it's basically a low-budget fantasy film. Even has "Angel"'s Winifred Burkle and Gimli in it too.

Some of the location filming in Romania reminds me of GoT though.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

I still like this one better than its predecessor. The story is much better and Robert Downey Jr never disappoints.

I decided to watch it on my 5.1 speakers for the first time, and what a great idea that was. Whyis it that everything always needs to be pounding and thumping like crazy these days? Even if Zimmer isn't doing it, trust the special effects to take over. I had to turn down the volume of the Trout scene because apparently torturing someone is accompanied by lots of rumbling that would probably alert the whole of London. Surprised the neighbours aren't asking me for explanations yet. As for the score, I'm currently craving everything non-D minor. The themes are great, but watching this one after TFA was a rude awakening.

The Black Hole:

7dae6d704133306ee70cae251053e3a7_zpssek1

Or ... Captain Nemo in space. This really has to be the worst movie ever made. The dialog, the acting, just the way everything is presented (call it direction and vision), the bad laser battles, the silly versions of R2-D2, the asteroid storm ... Okay, I give it 1/10 for some of the sets.

The-Black-Hole-1979-1_zps8v5mhymn.jpg

Alex

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Good score!

Not as it is used in the movie. Action scenes with ceremonial music ... Completely nonsensical.

1 hour ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Slumming it tonight? That's our kind of movie! You watch the boring artsy films, not kiddie popcorn flicks.

If you understood The Black Hole then you would realize it has a lot more in common with horror (Event Horizon) than with a fairy tale (Star Wars). The Black Hole is actually a very dark movie but it's also a very bad one. I watched it because I wondered whether people in 1979-80 (including me) weren't too harsh on the movie. It turns out they (and I) weren't. But yes, it paved the way for Paul W.S. Anderson's Event Horizon.

Dr__Hans_Reinhardt_02_zpsxcegf4eo.jpg

Look into my eyes. This is a very dark movie ...

Alex

A light note in a dark movie, Steef. One swallow does not a Summer make. 

Alex - who can only assume Steef was too little to understand The Black Hole

You can't comment on the movie. Unlike me, you're concentrating on one thing and are ignoring everything else (like the exact same premise of Event Horizon).

One swallow does not a Summer make. 

I didn't hate The Black Hole, but I only saw it for the first time about six years ago. For being Disney's answer to Star Wars, it's a very dark answer, pun not intended. It's scarier than Star Wars and doesn't dilute itself with enough happy moments. 

The characters are so negligible that the only one people do remember is the silly looking robot.

b27bdeb70a62532c434ab35a51049a9b.jpg

BTW, Silent Running has silly looking and acting robots and it's not a kids movie either.

56 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I was talking about people. 

e91a2a2814994ad5442313eb9a2dfddb.jpg

???? Luke Darkwalker? Why was he even on board?

Batman (1989)

batman1989.0120.jpg

Legendary. It's got Bruce Wayne sleeping upside down rather than with 80s Kim Basinger, Batman murdering a black guy and a shitload of other people, including God knows how many when he bombs Axis Chemicals, Vicki Vale going down on the Joker and a phallic car. What more could ask from anything?

*cue Batman Returns*

:worship:

That girl has style. Jesus Marimba! A lovely beast like that runnin' around could put steam in a man's stride. I'm about to get a new girl, Jerry. I'm of a mind to make some mookie. Phone book.

Let me tell you! She invited me out, we went to dinner. I thought we felt something. I trusted her, I even slept with her! I can’t believe I did that! And then she wouldn’t return my phone calls! She must be some kind of... bitch.