What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Hairspray (2007)

Set in 1962 Baltimore, Hairpsray equates the social anxiety of being overweight to being black in the segregated United States and presents a white person joining a march for racial equality as being noble and inspiring to African-Americans, because they apparently can't make any kind of statement on their own. Offensively stupid.

And isn't the overweight girl's mother John Travolta? There's got to be an uplifting transgender message there... Nah, it's John Travolta. 

That was just as stupid. If you're going to tell the story of an obese woman's insecurities, have her played by an obese woman to give it some veracity. Not some guy in drag who gets to take off his fatsuit and fly home in his private jet at the end of the day.

Captain From Castile

It's not much of a swashbuckler, but it's held together by Tyrone Power, the terrific Technicolor photography and Alfred Newman's lavish score. Newman's score plumbs the usual Golden Age archetypes but with some Latin flair thrown in too. That iconic scene with Power and Jean Peters dancing around the campfire crackles with sexual chemistry. It's all in the body language, choreography, and Newman's beautiful guitar solo.

It's fascinating watching the movie just with the isolated score track. It really emphasizes the composer's contributions to the film, and I wish a feature more movies had.

Only in the shitty ending of The Dark Knight Rises where they're retired in the Eurozone and Bruce Wayne has abandoned the Batman mission. What? I'll take the sad ending, please.

3 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Batman Returns. It's surpassed E.T. as my favorite movie of all time in the last few years. Sorry, everyone.

Presumably you bought that gun to use on yourself? 

Val Kilmer might actually be my favorite Batman. He played both sides very well in a lousy movie.

Truth be told, Clooney was the only actor I disliked in the role. And that head wobble thing of his is really irritating. He even managed to do it in a suit that is famous for severely limiting head movement

11 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Only in the shitty ending of The Dark Knight Rises where they're retired in the Eurozone and Bruce Wayne has abandoned the Batman mission. What? I'll take the sad ending, please.

Great ending to a great trilogy. 

16 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Batman Returns. It's surpassed E.T. as my favorite movie of all time in the last few years. Sorry, everyone.

Nooooo.

1 hour ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Born in sin?  Come on in!

(I only expect Joey to get that quote)

Andre Linoge. Storm of the Century.

Hook. For obvious reasons I will not be watching this one again, but I'm going through a JW phase and prefer hearing scores in their proper context before listening to them.

Nevertheless, some thoughts on the film: Robin Williams was great, Julia Roberts was all right and Dustin Hofman was sometimes hilarious and dreadful. Not sure whether he was taking any of it seriously. Also, a lawyer shouldn't leave a boy in charge when there's a fairy godmother in the country. Talk about a sign of the times. Incidentally, Neverland is called Fantasy Land in Dutch, worst translation ever.

And the score... HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! Magical would probably be a gross understatement. What a masterpiece! The Never Feast, Hook's theme, Tink's arrival... symphonic bliss. Off to check the LLL edition which I know isn't 100% complete, but oh well.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Hook. For obvious reasons I will not be watching this one again

???

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Also, a lawyer shouldn't leave a boy in charge when there's a fairy godmother in the country.

???

Well, I of course have all the old Batman movies on Blu-ray, so I threw in Batman Forever. It looks pretty slick on my Sony Trinitron WEGA, but then what doesn't? It's a perfectly valid interpretation of the Bat, Mr. Schumacher. It still remains incredibly devastating, though. How the fuck do you go from the sheer perfection of Batman (1989) and Batman Returns to this? I like Goldenthal's score, but where's the Elfman theme? Why is the Anton Furst Batmobile replaced with some piece of shit car? "Drive through"? What the fuck?

I know there are some Bat fans who praise Kilmer and even Bob Kane loved him. I don't get it. He was a colossal disappointment. Remember that this was the prime of Kilmer when he could do no wrong. You were usually guaranteed an awesome memorable performance. He's just sleepwalking through this movie. He's so boring. His Batman is pretty crappy too. He's no Michael Keaton, that's for sure. He kills so few people it's disgusting. Stunning as Nicole Kidman is, all his scenes with her are just unbearable. So are the scenes with Robin, for that matter. Jim Carrey is keeping the thing afloat, giving it his all. Caffeine'll kill ya! Tommy Lee Jones has some cool moments, but then he's just ridiculous and kind of annoying for the majority of the time.

Have the good taste to die. See ya!

29 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I just meant that Hook is a little too childish at times for an adult ...

That's exactly why Rug & Beret love it!