Time for a good ol' fashion poll

indy4

Which of these scores are the best?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these scores are the best?

• Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    • The Adventures of Tintin
    • War Horse

at Williams age he has a right to chose when and how he wants to work. I believe it was Miguel A who said Williams wants to work on HIS own compositions and if that's what he wants to do that's what he should do.

Absolutely, I just wish he would still branch out.

Whilst we're at it, let's belittle Gene Hackman for being too bone idle to dabble in the limelight anymore. Gene Wilder, too - what's his excuse? Sean Connery prefers to play golf in Spain instead of making movies, the lazy bastard.

Whilst we're at it, let's belittle Gene Hackman for being too bone idle to dabble in the limelight anymore. Gene Wilder, too - what's his excuse? Sean Connery prefers to play golf in Spain instead of making movies, the lazy bastard.

there is a difference though between giving an acting performance and creating new music. There are only so many roles for actors that age, but Williams music is ageless.

Guys, the notion that Williams is only writing these days for Steven Spielberg is false. His concert works aren't written for Spielberg, and he's writing those fairly quickly.

Guys, the notion that Williams is only writing these days for Steven Spielberg is false. His concert works aren't written for Spielberg, and he's writing those fairly quickly.

you're correct and incorrect. He's only writing film scores for Spielberg, that is 100% correct. His concert works are for himself.

I guess my point is, if you want variety in Williams' modern music (and the variety that Spielberg scores provide isn't enough), then listen to his concert works.

there is a difference though between giving an acting performance and creating new music. There are only so many roles for actors that age, but Williams music is ageless.

Debatable, but the age element - and more specifically - the sense of personal fulfilment, is arguably a universal aspect which comes into play, in all walks of life and of varying degrees of success and accomplishment. The age of eighty is a fine age to still be enjoying life, let alone be working at.

at Williams age he has a right to chose when and how he wants to work.

And I have the right to regret that choice. New people, other chemistries, different perspectives, new roads ... that sort of thing. 'Change' is often what keeps an artist fresh.

Alex

What I don't understand is how is it possible that he hasn't re-worked with any of his previous collaborators...

Robert Altman, Norman Jewison, Oliver Stone, Brian DePalma, Jean-Jacques Annaud, Alan Parker, George Miller, Lawrence Kasdan, Clint Eastwood... What a list of amazing filmmakers! And all very appreciative of good film music.

The curse of priorizing his work with Spielberg is that has provoked a lot of missed opportunities, most notably those years in which Steven releases two movies at the same time, but Johnny's got lots of assigments already... 2002 and 2005 are the most notable examples...

I'm not complaining, because this collaboration brought some of his most famous scores; but yeah, some branching out would be nice.

Today I vote for War Horse, but I genuinely enjoy all 3 scores very much, especially in complete form (the Tintin and IJ4 OSTs leave out too much important material)

I have to say Tintin for me! War Horse is a very close second. As for KotCS I think my dislike of the movie effected my judgment on the score but to me it's like the Chamber of Secrets, I pretend it doesn't exist haha.

Welcome back! :wave:

at Williams age he has a right to chose when and how he wants to work.

And I have the right to regret that choice. New people, other chemistries, different perspectives, new roads ... that sort of thing. 'Change' is often what keeps an artist fresh.

Alex

your right is irrelevant. Williams creative ability isn't based on your desires to listen or purchase. Any by your I mean any and all of us.

It's relevant to the audience. Action provokes reaction. No fan, no matter how loyal, can change that. In fact, there's nothing irrelevant about the way we respond to art because where would it would be without it?

By the way, I was convinced this thread was about fashion, as in 'clothes'. Imagine my disappointment when it wasn't! ;)

By the way, I was convinced this thread was about fashion, as in 'clothes'. Imagine my disappointment when it wasn't! ;)

Hooray! It only took 64 posts for someone else to notice the typo!