BloodBoal

9 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I do enjoy that his 4 original wins are not just clear best-of-the-year stuff as the award is intended, but also happen to be consensus "essentials" in Williams' oeuvre AND film scoring in general. Somebody could pick any one of those as their #1 all-time favorite film score and really nobody would be surprised. It's a neat bit of trivia, I think that's gotta be unique for somebody to win that many Oscars and for all of them to be generally considered iconic or defining works for both that person and the larger field. It's a rare novelty when it even happens once!

And in that regard, prospective winners like Memoirs of a Geisha and this year's The Force Awakens, despite obviously being the best of the nominees, wouldn't fit in.  

Well I don't think mrbellamy is saying that that's how it should be. But past composers weren't as well recognized for their legacy works by the Academy as Williams was. It's meaningless really, but an interesting tidbit.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot that Rozsa actually won for Ben-Hur...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2016 at 0:42 PM, BloodBoal said:

No, it's not to early to ask that question. We all know the winners of the Oscars are decided very early on. It's all politics anyway!

Frankly, I don't think he'll get the Oscar with Episode VIII, regardless of the quality of the music, simply because the middle films of trilogies never get the Oscar for Best Original Score (The Godfather: Part II being the exception to the rule)!

As for Episode IX, I think he has a strong chance of winning, again regardless of the quality of the music, simply because of what the score will represent: the ninth score he will have composed for the saga, thus completing his trilogy of trilogies! So it'll be more an Oscar for that accomplishment than for the actual score. A pity award, if you will (even if Williams would never receive a pity Oscar. That's only for other composers, of course!).

Anyway, what do YOU think? Tell me! TELL ME NOW!

Dude!

Williams didn't even get an Oscar for 7!!!!!

What universe are you living in skyy38? Williams won the Oscar for The Force Awakens, embarrassing Morricone who was already half-standing before the winner was even announced.