BloodBoal

I agree, mostly obvious choices. All within the ballpark of acceptable. But none where you say "That's it".

My personal choice for Tom would be....Ian McKellen. But then he could not have played Gandalf.

Knowing what I know now however. Mark Rylance!

John Hurt

Leah: But only if he wore this exact mustache.

Emily: The fact that John Hurt wasn’t in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy is just plain weird in the first place. So this would be a pretty great place to make up for that mishap.

John Hurt would actually have been pretty good as Bombadil. Though "Emily" gets it wrong, he was actually in Lord of the Rings...as the voice of Aragorn. I could let it slide if she just missed that,  but she also says she prefers the theatrical versions of LOTR, so yeah geek credentials revoked right there. 

Anyway, the rest of the list is pretty off, IMO. The kind of celebrity/novelty/gimmick casting choices Jackson made for The Hobbit.

#nomorerylancesickofrylance

I can never look past Tom Baker. I reckon he'd have been just about perfect.

Briers is a good shout too, but I think Baker would have lent a somewhat more mysterious edge to the character. Briers is just too lovely.

OK, let's end this now.

Patrick Stewart is the perfect Bombadil. He's the only Bombadil. Mon Capitaine has great comedic timing and can sing. And can nail Tom's voice down cold.

Jay, you can close this thread.

Stephen Fry as Balin? Good Lord no. I knew you were insane but this is simply too much.

Most of the rest would have been my shouts also, except Bill Bailey of course. Only a deranged loon would consider casting him (in anything).

Brian Blessed as Bombadil. It would have been brilliant to hear him bellowing out "Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!"

Blessed as Dain I reckon. He could pull of a big personality like that arriving late on.

10 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

That's because you're thinking of the Fry we got as the disgusting Master of Laketown. I'm thinking of the more respectable intellectual man behind that performance!

Nah I'm just thinking of Stephen Fry full-stop, and no. He's many things but a Dwarf he isn't.

Other good Dwarves - Jack Thompson, Richard Ridings, Vincent Regan.

The trouble with Brian Blessed is he's never anyone other than Brian Blessed. I can see why Jackson never cast him as anything in the films (because many assumed he was bound to pop up somewhere). 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

The trouble with Brian Blessed is he's never anyone other than Brian Blessed. I can see why Jackson never cast him as anything in the films (because many assumed he was bound to pop up somewhere). 

True but who cares? He'd just be a dwarf,  and they could have used some personality. And the Hobbit films have amply demonstrated that Jackson's not above gimmicky casting. 

Jonathan Pryce would have made for a better Master of Laketown. And no one can beat Stott as Balin anyway in my book.

But overall yes, some very strong picks there, I like nearly all of those actors and would have picked them myself.

That said, you telling me these arseholes wouldn't make great Dwarves?

jackthompson_wideweb__430x286.jpg

jericho_episode1_14.jpg

If only Pat Roach were still alive to play Beorn.

Speaking of Hobbits, I still think they should have cast Rhys Darby as one. Maybe have a scene in The Green Dragon where he's the barman or something. He'd be terrific. And while I don't know if he had the serious acting chops for it in the long run, he'd have been very adept at Bilbo's comic stuff also.

McNally would have been fine I suppose.

He's unrecognisable to me in the picture on the previous page, he really filled out later didn't he. I remember Roach as brickie Bomber Busbridge in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.  

81kpDmT.jpg

24 minutes ago, Barnald said:

I don't believe I put up a photo of him (are you referring to the photos of Jack Thompson and Richard Ridings?)

Ah, I thought the image above the Beorn comment was Roach. I thought it looked nothing like I remembered him! 

You do have a very good point of course. Also, it's quite possible Jackson deliberately steered clear of casting too many cantankerous, well-known older actors on the back of JRD's complaints regarding make-up and such on LOTR. Imagining having to put up with this x13 every day.