Bassoon vs Horn Concerto

Tom

Which concerto do you prefer?   

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which concerto do you prefer?

• Bassoon/Five Sacred Trees
    • Horn

I see the one movie versus another polling has heated up, so how about we try a head to head on two similar concertos.  I say similar insofar as both are programmatic and expect a wide-range of emotions from the feature instruments. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love both but give a slight edge to the bassoon concerto.

Also I'd love to have a proper studio recording of the horn concerto.

You literally just put my favourite JW concerto (and concert work in general) up against one of my least favourites, so the choice is extremely easy for me. FIVE SACRED TREES all the way!

5 hours ago, Thor said:

You literally just put my favourite JW concerto (and concert work in general) up against one of my least favourites, so the choice is extremely easy for me. FIVE SACRED TREES all the way!

what don't you like about the horn concerto?  I could do without "The Hunt" movement, but I find the others very good.  In fact, the last I would consider as one of his top pieces. 

I don't know what it is, but that -- too -- feels a bit whimsical. Then again, I was never a big fan of 'brass' pieces to begin with. I'm more of a woodwind guy. But don't get me wrong. It's OK. It just doesn't give me anything the way the bassoon concerto does.

I'm not voting on this pool as I have no definitive answer when comparing this two particular concertos. But today -- as my favouring could just change tomorrow -- I tend a bit more to the horn one.

Actually, my all time favourite Williams piece is one of his concerti, the Cello one.

Heartwood.  

Between the two though, the bassoon.  I am not that into John's brass concertos, for whatever reason.  Just can't top Heartwood and Treesong for me.

These polls are interesting, but it's really not how I think about Williams' music at all.  I never think to myself, "Wow I really prefer War Horse to Tintin." They're different things that I love in different ways.  Maybe that makes me a tad dull, but I am what I am.

I'm more familiar with the bassoon concerto because the horn concerto never did much for me.  I'll revisit it eventually.  I did like the Slatkin effort, though.

18 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

These polls are interesting, but it's really not how I think about Williams' music at all.  I never think to myself, "Wow I really prefer War Horse to Tintin." They're different things that I love in different ways.  Maybe that makes me a tad dull, but I am what I am.

It is not like Williams's pay raise is at stake.  Such polls are merely to generate interesting discussions about his music that otherwise would not likely happen. 

Just now, Tom said:

It is not like Williams's pay raise is at stake.  Such polls are merely to generate interesting discussions about his music that otherwise would not likely happen. 

Oh yeah, I get it.  But it also frames the discussion in a way I'm not particularly fond of.