The Shape Of Water Wins Golden Lion

A24

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I bet Alex loves the Dardennes.  Your fellow countrymen!  Their movies are great for insomnia.

Of course I love the Dardenne brothers,  even though I only saw three of their movies! ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSV4-nSCmiWmvgDSZfR94y

This one is incredible.

I was constantly at the edge of my seat with Two Days, One Night. I kid you not. The Dardennes are formerly docu makers, it explains their style. 

With Guillermo winning, it means The Shape Of Water is more artsy then we suspected. I will already order the Blu-ray.

Who cares? We all know you won't like the film anyway, Cremers.

Alexcremers said:

The Shape Of Water - Guillermo del Toro (2017)

I am not sure why this won the Golden Lion. It starts off well, but soon turns into a generic monster flick. Disappointing.

Jason will love it.

2/10

My favorite is actually his most un-Altman-like one:

tumblr_lg5e7vQhgE1qzfoz1o1_500.jpg

However, for most people it would be the answer to their insomnia.

Guillermo's previous film (Crimson Peak) was also surprisingly artsy (visually, design-wise, that is). People expected it to be scary by it but it isn't that kind of movie.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I hadn't realized Robert Altman's Short Cuts had once won the Golden Lion.  For me, it's Altman's greatest film and one of my absolute favorites.  Good on them!

Apart from Huey Lewis' dick, SHORT CUTS is great. 

M*A*S*H is great, NASHVILLE is great 3 WOMEN is great, A WEDDING is great, COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN JIMMY DEAN is great, THE GINGERBREAD MAN is passable. The only Altman film I don't like is GOSFORD PARK.

I love those kinds of movies.  I recently watched the Mike Leigh short film, A Sense of History, of Jim Broadbent playing a British aristocrat telling the story of his life as he walks around his estate.  It's so freakin' good (and on Youtube!).

I even love it when they're able to make a narrative "one man show" films. All Is Lost was one of my favorite films of 2013, precisely because they were able to do so much with so little. Helps that Redford's performance is so good too.