Anyone familiar with “The Magic of John Williams” CD?

Bayesian

I recently stumbled across this CD on ebay and bought it on a lark. Recorded in 1995 and performed by Andrew Lane and the Orlando Philharmonic.

Had my first listen in the car today and it was... interesting. They play with energy and verve, but they take numerous liberties with the original scoring/orchestration. Like playing a chord before the tutti blast that kicks off the Star Wars main theme. (My best attempt at describing it as a non-musician is that this new first chord is pitched about a fourth lower and off the beat.) Never heard it this way before. It’s not bad, just unexpected. 

Same kind of thing happens in all the pieces throughout the 41 minutes of playing time. Jurassic Park is a 12-min piece that strings together all the big themes with fairly abrupt bridges; very different, but enjoyable enough. 

Anyone else know about or have thoughts on this recording?

I remember buying the compilation back in the 90's from a discount bin for about 5 €. The performances are not exactly stellar to put it kindly, let alone some of those arrangements, which is the reason it has spent most of its time on my CD shelf and not in my CD player.

2 hours ago, Iron_Giant said:

Like playing a chord before the tutti blast that kicks off the Star Wars main theme.

If it is the version I am listening to right now on Spotify, then it is the same chord that was part of the early takes of the theme on the 97 SE bonus track

9 hours ago, Incanus said:

I remember buying the compilation back in the 90's from a discount bin for about 5 €. The performances are not exactly stellar to put it kindly, let alone some of those arrangements, which is the reason it has spent most of its time on my CD shelf and not in my CD player.

Yes, it definitely is a bargain-bin CD (no liner notes, unknown label, perfunctory artwork, etc) and you're right about the performances (although I do  think they play energetically). But I kinda like the CD overall because it offers a fresh approach to these warhorses.

I wonder if JW signed off on the numerous arrangement edits. Are there other recordings where similar liberties are taken?

8 hours ago, Fal said:

If it is the version I am listening to right now on Spotify, then it is the same chord that was part of the early takes of the theme on the 97 SE bonus track

I was not aware of this -- I'll need to check it out!

4 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

I wonder if JW signed off on the numerous arrangement edits. Are there other recordings where similar liberties are taken?

Roy Budd's two CDs with the LSO take several liberties with the arrangement. I've just listed them on the marketplace if you're interested. These recordings are significantly better than the Orlando album, albeit not perfect.

I have that c.d. somewhere. didn't rip it on my computer

There's also an Andrew Lane c.d. that has the only orchestral version of When Your Alone from Hook

Bought several of these compilations in the 90's

I also have a Japanese c.d. " The Greatest musics of John Williams" that has rarities like Poseidon Adventure, Jaws 2 End tittles and Earthquake

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Roy Budd's two CDs with the LSO take several liberties with the arrangement. I've just listed them on the marketplace if you're interested. These recordings are significantly better than the Orlando album, albeit not perfect.

Two? I have “Greatest Action Hits” where he does music from Star Wars, ET, Superman and Temple Of Doom. What’s the other one?

Hmmm, I'm not a big fan of John Williams compilations if John Williams himself was not involved. But I might get a hold of this. Sounds interesting.