Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

there are some really cool pictures from the movie out there.

new2s.jpg

here is one of Harry and Hermione holding up Ron.

To see the larger version visit the Leaky Cauldron or Mugglenet.com

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read an interview with Mike Newell, director of Goblet of Fire.  He says it will be the most expensive movie ever made.  That tells me we wont be stuck with a 2 and 1/2 hour film trying to tell the story.

You gotta be kidding me?

THEY ALREADY HAVE THE DIRECTOR PICKED OUT FOR THE 4TH FILM?? 8O

Sheeesh! They really don't hesitate with these films do they? ROTFLMAO

Yes, the have a director already. Mike Newell was officially named as of last August. The film starts shooting in April because they can't really afford to waste much time if they want to keep the cast in tact. Still, the actors are getting a 4 - 5 month break between movies this time, the longest they've had so far.

I'd assume they'll have director selected for the fifth film before the end of this year. Columbus has expressed interest in returning to the job in future, but if he doesn't, I'll hope they'll consider P. J. Hogan if he'd be willing to take it. He did a damn fine job with Peter Pan.

Yes, the have a director already. Mike Newell was officially named as of last August. The film starts shooting in April because they can't really afford to waste much time if they want to keep the cast in tact.  Still, the actors are getting a 4 - 5 month break between movies this time, the longest they've had so far.

I'd assume they'll have director selected for the fifth film before the end of this year. Columbus has expressed interest in returning to the job in future, but if he doesn't, I'll hope they'll consider P. J. Hogan if he'd be willing to take it. He did a damn fine job with Peter Pan.

Man they really plac in advance for these! SHHEEESH!

Why Mike Newell? That guys career hasn't been anything noteworthy. Most of the movies hes put out have been substandard anyway.

I didn't hear people say that of Cuaron- I was always looking forward to it. I think he is a much better director than Columbus. I loved his pretty ambitious Great Expectations and his fantastic Y Tu Mama Tambien.

Well, I've never seen the movie or read the book, so I can't comment. But he was very respectfull of Dickens' in his Great Expectations. The end wasn't nearly as good as the begining, but the first 45 minutes are absolutely magnificent.

So over at MuggleNet you can reads that GoF is going to have a 170 million pound budget ($308 million). But I don't think that's actually more than RotK, as they say over there.

Also, if I understand correctly, his latest film was Mona Lisa Smile, which bombed at the box office.

Still, GoF is a great novel, so there's a lot of good material to delve from. I'll just wait and see. Bring on film 3 already! ROTFLMAO

- Marc

Why Mike Newell? That guys career hasn't been anything noteworthy. Most of the movies hes put out have been substandard anyway.

Couldn't the same have been said years ago about Richard Marquand?

Neil

I saw it once upon a time, but I can't remember much about it.

I saw it last week.

It's very, very, good movie. I see it as a homage to children-phantasy. I enjoyed it very much.

You gotta be kidding me?  

THEY ALREADY HAVE THE DIRECTOR PICKED OUT FOR THE 4TH FILM??  

Sheeesh! They really don't hesitate with these films do they?  

William, you post your opinons on the Harry Potter threads all the time,

but don't you ever read what others have said.

We've talked about this alot over the last several months. Haven't your read that time permitting which it looks like it will, John will score Goblet of Fire for a November 2005 release. Which would mean we would have 3 epic scores from John in 2005.

Book 5, Order of the Phoenix is scheduled for a summer 2007 release. Plans for filming 6 and 7, won't be know until the books come out.

I just hope he doesn't have to resort to an adaptation and auto-drive again from time constraints. Though, the PoA score will probably be brilliant so it wouldn't be that bad adapting from that score.

I'll hope they'll consider P. J. Hogan if he'd be willing to take it. He did a damn fine job with Peter Pan.

Oooooh, good idea. I agree, he did great with Pan, and I tihnk he could handle the both the fantasy and emotional elements of GoF.

Ray Barnsbury

I heard all about how he positively butchered A Little Princess. I saw it once upon a time, but I can't remember much about it.

I'd never heard that, in fact, J.K. Rowling expressed the exact opposite opinion in more than one interview. She said his adaptation of A Little Princess was a major reason for finally allowing Warner Bros. to aquire the film rights for the Potter series at a time when many studios were courting her.

That question is one I really can't answer. It came as a surprise to most. I can only assume something about him must have impressed J.K. Rowling, and the producers.

He's British, and there was a push for a British director to have a hand in this most British novel series.

Is that Jeff Goldblum with hearts as Ren's new avatar?

That nearly sent me into a coma from the utter shock.

ARE YOU KIDDING?

Ren has just become the the first woman on the friggin planet to express physical attraction ...... scartch that ...... ANY attraction to that man.

-Rogue Leader who has now seen conclusive proof that truly there is a first time for everything. :)

I think Goldblum is one of the most intersting actors to watch. His mannerisms, his look, are facinating. He's a very unusual actor who I enjoy whether or not I enjoy the film.

Back to the subject of Prisoner of Azkaban.

I think that this film will have a chance to be a real classic.

Unfortunately I believe that it will be so popular at the expense of the first two films, rather than as a compliment.

People will say how much better Cuaron was as a director, and that the look of the film will be astounding.

Both may well be true, but, I recently watched Sorcerer's Stone, and I paid attention to the production design of the film. It is outstanding. Columbus might not be the worlds greatest director, but he did assemble a great crew around him. The sets are spectacular, and he uses them well.

Cuaron will have the advantages of the best story to this date. The Mike Newell will have that advantage even over Cuaron, and then so on and so on until #7.

There's a funny article online today (at Empire maybe?) with Newell talking about how expensive his Potter film will be, supposedly the most expensive film of all time to date. He also said he's in France scouting fat ladies and French school girls. Interesting casting or a hopeless, yet diverse pervert he is!

Both may well be true, but, I recently watched Sorcerer's Stone, and I paid attention to the production design of the film.  It is outstanding.  Columbus might not be the worlds greatest director, but he did assemble a great crew around him.  The sets are spectacular, and he uses them well.

He didn't assemble the crew. David Heyman did. Columbus was chosen after Stuart Craig was.

Goldblum's done okay with the ladies for himself. For a while there, it seemed like he was dating ever co-star he ever worked with  

Go Neil!

Rogue, you are too funny,

There are lots of women who think he's hot.

Ummmmmmmmm................ OK ...

Damn, there must be a whole other world out there somewhere.

Well wherever it is I gotta go there!

If there is a place where Jeff Goldblum is considered hot I might actually have a friggin shot! :mrgreen:

Hi again, everyone :music:

An interesting POA set report from http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/setreportpoa.html

Quote:

TLC: Dan, if you stay on for the fifth book, how are you going to handle Harry?s moods in those books?

DR: What we?ve done in this one, which I think is quite daring really, the Harry you read about in the fifth book is the Harry we kind of portray in the third film. He is incredibly angry in this one. Just full of teenage?

TLC: Angst?

DR: Thank you, I couldn?t say that word for a second, angst. So he is an incredibly angry character in the third film. I don?t know, I think a lot of people could be shocked, I don?t know. I think the fifth book has prepared them for it slightly. It?s just different.

It was also confirmed that the movie will be under 2 1/2 hours.

S.B.

They will make one movie, and they don't want it too long. I'm expecting a three-hour movie.

at

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/content_o...-name_page.html

They said "... the fourth Potter film will cost 170 million pounds, 5 million pounds more than Return of the King,..."

So ROTK costed more than Titanic?

I thought the three LOTR movies TOGETHER costed about 300 million dollars, not ROTK alone!

New adult covers for the HP series:

http://www.mugglenet.com/pics/adultcovers.shtml

Actually Titanic's budget was around 200 million. It had a LARGE advertising budget though on top of that.

Anyway that comment above about the next Harry Potter movie costing 308 million MUST be a joke.

HOW THE HELL COULD THE MOVIE COST THAT MUCH?

First off there will be no big name actors (the A list types) in the movie that will require 20 million dollar salaries. Much of the sets and environments could presumably be used for the previous film.

What is so epic about the movie that would require such a budget? Its not like their making a movie about some epic war like the upcoming Alexander films.

Man, some of you guys must have your heads stuck in the mud on the Goldblum issue. By the way, i think there's enough posts about Goldblum on this board to warrant his own thread.LOL

I can't think of any reason why Jeff Goldblum would have been in all these spreads for women's mags if a portion of the population didn't think he was gorgeous.

I can't think of any reason why Jeff Goldblum would have been in all these spreads for women's mags if a portion of the population didn't think he was gorgeous.

I've never seen him on the cover of any woman's mag and I've never seen or heard any woman express physical attraction about him before.

Its definately news to me! :music:

There will be tons of actors who get $5 million+- a show, and it adds up, the actors alone costing far more than probably any other film ever (Gosford Park had a huge ensamble too, but mostly lowley paid British actors who took a severe pay cut).

But it still doesn't excuse that kind of budget- and what the hell does Newell know what to do with the most expensive movie ever made, with tons of special effects?

And neither alexander will cost nearly that much. Maybe there's a bonus or something for the cast and crew after 3 films? that kind of deal happens often, which a substantial bonus or one time present after a certain amount of movies made. Still doesn't add up though.