Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW seeing as how this movie is from Alfonso Cauron' the maker of Y Tu Mama Tambien I am sure we can expect to see Potter getting some hardcore shagging going on! :)

Seriously though can SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME hopw the hell this guy was chosen for this movie?

Seriously I am at a loss for words and am completely bewildered by this choice,

I mean here you have producers looking for a replacement to Crhis Colombus and presumably you are looking for someone with similar filmaking qualities. So you say "OH YEAH! Lets get that guy who makes those steamy Latin movies. I mean, thats clearly a pretty similar background to the Harry Potter films right?".

Hey look I am not bashing the choice or anything as far as I have heard he is a very good director. However, I can only envision a collective "WHAT THE F%^&!?!!?" being uttered in the room when the producers heard his name mentioned for consideration.

Heres a chance for Williams to correct one of his wrongs by writing a theme for all three main characters. Like he should've done for Solo.

I see nothing bad about Solo not having a theme. It's just a simple lack of good. :)

Justin -Who thinks the Weasley's have a theme. It's heard in The Sorting Hat cue when Ron goes up to the hat and the first track of CoS when Harry see's Ron in the car.

I mean here you have producers looking for a replacement to Crhis Colombus and presumably you are looking for someone with similar filmaking qualities. So you say "OH YEAH! Lets get that guy who makes those steamy Latin movies. I mean, thats clearly a pretty similar background to the Harry Potter films right?".

I am confused. Cuaron also directed The Little Princess. Why is he to be judged by this other movie, when it ammounts to, in quantity, the same as that greatly directed little fairy tale?

Also, the plural in your post in wrong. He has only made one (excellent) Mexican-Spanish movie with lots of character-driven sex scenes.

How many of his movies have you seen to reach that conclussion?

-Ross, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0190859

He also made 'Great Expectations', which has a fantastic first half. Y Tu Mama Tabien was the best Mexican movie I've ever seen. Possibly the best Spanish-language movie I've seen.

Cuaron wont be changing the story a bit, he has no power to do so.  

Chris Columbus has a tight fist on the project with the intent of keeping all the HP films true to the books.

Usually it's the scriptwriters who change things to the story, especially if the director is a hired gun and not the creative driving force

And here's the first proof that Cuaron has done some radical changes!

JapanesePoAJB.jpg

So... Who can remember this Jack-in-the box from the book?

And, it's related somehow to Macbeth, where also the lyrics from 'Something wicked this way comes' came from...

:)

Yeah, I saw that pic too. I was wondering what that was supposed to mean.

Interestingly the film isn't even out yet and digital bits rumor mill is saying the film will be released on DVD in November of this year.

Seems like guessing to me. I think there was a 5 month period or something between the last two films' theatrical and DVD release. All you have to do is count.

- Marc, expecting November to be an expensive month.

A good director is a good director in any realm. Pretty much everything that I have seen of Cuarons has been directede incredibly well. It's like saying Spielberg should not tackle Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan because he did ET, or he shouldn't have done ET because he is obviously a "Horror" composer because fo Jaws. Please, Cuaron in my book is an excelent choice for this film. I would imagine any room of inteligent producers going, of course, he's young, he's hip, he's hot and he is versatile, choose him.

From the trailer the movie looks like a tim burton film and that's in no way shape or form bad. I hope Cuaron comes back for Ootp. I haven't seen any of Mike Newell's film so i don't know if i should look forward to a good movie when going to see GOF. Which is my favorite of the 5. So he better not screw it up! And the producer's are making it into a 2 and half hour movie not two seperate movies or a three hour movie. Which means alot of cuts!

And the producer's are making it into a 2 and half hour movie not two seperate movies or a three hour movie. Which means alot of cuts!

Maybe that means they'll be concerning themselves with making good movies and not merely faithful adaptations.

Neil

That 2-1/2 thing is just a rumor. You can bet that Goblet will push and or exceed 3hrs.

That 2-1/2 thing is just a rumor.  You can bet that Goblet will push and or exceed 3hrs.

And what can you base that on? Has any footage even been shot yet?

Neil

I read it somewhere, Leaky Cauldron, Mugglenet. The film doesn't begin shooting for a few months but Newell said something to the effect the film will be as long as it needs to be. A 3 hourish film should be able to contain the best of the novel without hurting your behind.

The 2-1/2 hour thing came from WB wanting to maximize its return, but thanks to Return of the King, that theory sank with the Titanic.

I cannot wait for this score. Been listening to the first two on shuffle with a bunch of other scores and I really enjoy them. I love the book of PoA and I am sure Williams' score will not disappoint. I have hopes that it will top the first two. :)

BTW about those comments above regarding Cauron. I am aware of his prior filmaking record. I think I came off sounding wrong in that last post. My main point is I just felt it was a little wacky fot this guy to go from making this steamy Latin picture to a Harry Potter film. Uusually Hollywood personalities such as actors, directors; etc. are most closely identified by their last project.

Cuaron has stated several times that he doesn't see Hollywood as some heaven for filmmaking, but just as a stop in his creative life.

:)

Cuaron has stated several times that he doesn't see Hollywood as some heaven for filmmaking, but just as a stop in his creative life.

;)

Well I am certainly not going to attempt any challenges of this statement.

Hollywood is definately not a hub for creativity or conematic vision.

I'm just excited about the score for HP3 to be released plus Williams score for Terminal as well.

-Mark, who dreads the thought of having to sit thru 3+ hours of Harry Potter in a theatre.

I see that you two never watched Saturday Night Live.

Neil

oh dear,it was a joke.But after finally reading page two of the twins tread i understand tempers might be a bit sensitive the last few days.

K.M.

I think that was over the top Neil

What can I say, it made me laugh.

Neil

It also brings back that good ole notagic feeling of when SNL was actually still funny.

Ahhh Neil .....

Thanks for the memories ...... :lurk:

Mark, who dreads the thought of having to sit thru 3+ hours of Harry Potter in a theat

That's what they said about ROTK and then they loved it

Although I do like the longer films of today because it gives you more time to get more deeply involved in the film, and therefore possibly get more out of it, I do miss the fluff 83-90 min. films of the 80's!

One more post away!!! :)

Mark, who dreads the thought of having to sit thru 3+ hours of Harry Potter in a theat

That's what they said about ROTK and then they loved it

Yeah but unlike the Harry Potter films the LOTR movies are actually great films.

If Williams wasn't scoring these film I would have no interest at all.

Yeah but unlike the Harry Potter films the LOTR movies are actually great films.  

thats one man's opinion.

Joe, who hasn't had to suffer through the 3rd lotr.

Yeah, all die hard Tolkein fans I know personally hate the 2nd and 3rd films.

And I think only the 3rd films is great. The first two IMO are almost good and good.