The John Williams Health Issues Thread

Yes, quality vs. quantity. As I have already elucidated:

Less complex music with greater dramatic and emotional weight > more complex and florid music signifying nothing.

Williams ST (sic) music is simply complex and florid and nothing more?

Indeed it is. The low quality of the films leaves little for the heart to grab onto that isn't nostalgia for the grand sweep of it all. I don't truly care about Han and Leia when I hear their love theme. It's just nice music. The only times Star Wars music genuinely resonated emotionally with me were when Order 66 was executed, when Obi-Wan yells at burning Anakin, when Yoda died, and of course the rightfully revered "final duel" from ROTJ. Compared with what Shore did musically, coupled with actually skilled filmmaking and real soul instead of a pulpy blockbuster husk... yeah.

Less complex music with greater dramatic and emotional weight > more complex and florid music signifying nothing.

Thats 70's and 80's Williams music versus his more current compositions!

A fair point! I still prefer the current stuff though. The language is more effortlessly his own.

Jay, Koko and leeallen for sure. I think I voted "yes" too.

No way I would have voted yes, I don't think. When was the poll done?

Williams ST (sic) music is simply complex and florid and nothing more?

Indeed it is. The low quality of the films leaves little for the heart to grab onto that isn't nostalgia for the grand sweep of it all. I don't truly care about Han and Leia when I hear their love theme. It's just nice music. The only times Star Wars music genuinely resonated emotionally with me were when Order 66 was executed, when Obi-Wan yells at burning Anakin, when Yoda died, and of course the rightfully revered "final duel" from ROTJ. Compared with what Shore did musically, coupled with actually skilled filmmaking and real soul instead of a pulpy blockbuster husk... yeah.

I see what you're getting at here and I sort of agree. Like my own though, it's a filmcentric point of view. Most here don't see the music that way.

No I'm talking audiovisual aesthetics. How film and the power of its images when paired with musical exactitude makes me value the score much more and consider it to be greater soundtrack than I might have done; as opposed to those here who might not even watch a film and still declare its score to be greatness.

They are listeners only, and as such are limited by their personal musical tastes. They ultimately don't make reliable judges of what makes for a great film score.

Ok, i can see that.

I think in general the effects of Shores music are more dependent on the film then Williams anyway.

There are plenty of his scores that do little to nothing for me stand alone, but really nail it in the film.

I rather liked FOTR before I saw the film, but it didn't really click at all till i saw the music married to the images.

Ok, i can see that.

I think in general the effects of Shores music are more dependent on the film then Williams anyway.

There are plenty of his scores that do little to nothing for me stand alone, but really nail it in the film.

I rather liked FOTR before I saw the film, but it didn't really click at all till i saw the music married to the images.

Shore's degree of synergy on The Lord of the Rings was out of this world, he was working alongside the film at the very pinnacle of its craft and artistry.

Williams as we know is also a master of writing for the 'core' of a film's purpose, but his modern technique of masterful textural sophistication and unmatchable finesse can imo come off as somewhat ambiguous or even sterile at times. It's as if he's writing for the album or his own personal enjoyment. In that regard I much prefer John Williams the journeyman. When he was still very much figuring music out - and showing off his command of it. It seemed to fit the Wunderkind's movies better.

Williams and Spielberg really are remarkably similar craftsman. They've both settled into their greatness almost hand in hand. That's why at times Tintin felt like a great hark back to vintage spirited Spielberg. Might Episode 7 do the same for Williams?

I hope so. The circumstances certainly seem to be there. A new collaborator for Williams, plenty of time to write and record.

Just hope the health issues don't bog him down too much.

Like everyone else I was hugely sceptical about Star Wars 7, in many ways I still am, but this score could...should be something rather special.

Is JJ gonna have the backbone to push John Williams away from his status quo of late?

I'd be sitting around going, "Who am I to tell John Williams how to score this scene?!"