• Ann and Gabriel
    • Monica's Theme
    • Love Theme From Attack of the Clones
    • Willie's Theme

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most of Williams's 2000 stuff, it's based on comparatively complex chord progressions and orchestrations. The Superman love theme uses very standard chord progressions, an opening fifth, standard orchestrations and nearly no counterpoint. I like it, but looking at their complexity and craftsmanship, it's overly clear there are over 20 years between the two.

"Across the Stars" always sounded like a love theme, but it was mixed with tradegy. Those seconds as Padme sits in her ship in RotS, about to confront Anakin on Mustafar is chillingly tragic. "Love Theme from Superman" is just a straight out love theme.

indy4 - who loves (no pun intended) them both, but would prefer Superman

"Across the Stars" always sounded like a love theme, but it was mixed with tradegy.

For some reason, I've always thought "Across the Stars" referred to the music Williams arranged specifically for the Episode II music video. I seem to recall Track 2 on my album being referred to only as "Love Theme from Attack of the Clones." I must be mistaken.

Originally, Across the Stars was going to be a single release of the love theme, like there was a single release of Duel of the Fates for The Phantom Menace. At the last minute however, the plan was changed and the music video for Episode II became a pastiche of score clips. It's not an arrangement, it's a patchwork. For some reason, the title Across the Stars remained.

Now it appears there are several covers for the original soundtrack album. Some of them list track 2 simply as "Love Theme from Attack of the Clones," others (like mine) as "Across the Stars (Love Theme from Attack of the Clones)."

Then there are covers that list 13 tracks and have a 13-track CD inside, there's covers that list 13 tracks but have a sticker on the front of the jewel case announcing the inclusion of On the Conveyor Belt (track 14), and there's a version that actually lists On the Conveyor Belt, which was a bonus track exclusive to a particular store chain in the US (but available on pretty much every copy in other countries at the time of release), as track 14 on the album.

1) How Can I Remember? from Sabrina

2) Love Theme from The Terminal

3) Love Theme from Dracula

From the poll options, Princess Leia's Theme from SW.

Oh wait that one is also not there.

Then Luke and Leia.

For me the best "Love Theme" that he has written was for "Jane Eyre" in I believe 1970 or 1971. This early composition lays the groundwork for the style of writing that would follow throughout the rest of the 1970's.

My second favorite theme would be "Can You Read My Mind" from Superman The Movie although I suspect that that theme may not have been the first "love theme" written for the film. I think that while Leslie Bricusse put words to this theme, some of the melody have have evolved into the finished product. I am not saying that Williams did not compose the melody but I am saying that during the course of applying lyrics to a melody, as it often happens some changes occur that alter the finished theme or composition.

The short cue where Clark is about to reveal his true identity to Lois after their flight over the city contains a small quote of a theme that I suspect might have been the first theme that Williams wrote for the couple. In the sequel this theme was used by Ken Thorne more extensively than in the 1978 film and from what I read his adaptation was based upon notes left by Williams for the sequel before his leaving the project.

In fact this theme is elaborated on in "1941" as a love theme in that film.