III International Film Music Conference

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They chose Úbeda because it's where many of the members of www.bsospirit.com (organizers of the festival) live. It's in the middle of nowhere, that's true, but that's what makes it so special. Attendants and guest composers have to see each other's faces throughout the weekend, as it's not a big place like Madrid, Porto or Amsterdam.

Peio, you also went to the other film music event last year in Madrid, right?

How did that compare?

Stefan Cosman- remembering Peio and his friend humming the snare drum part from Trevor Jones' Fort Battle (well it's from Holst actually)

Peio, you also went to the other film music event last year in Madrid, right?

How did that compare?

Yeah, I went there too.

First off, the festival in Madrid was hold in 3 places (for each activity: concerts, conferences...) so you had to take the subway constantly. There were also a lot of empty gaps with nothing to do in the meantime (the whole saturday afternoon for example). The working programme this year seems to solve this problem partially, sparing the speeches of the composers throughout the 3 days (instead of the 2 of last year). The orchestra was MUCH better in Trevor Jones' concert (it was actually the best orchestra in Spain), but they're going to be abroad this time so they've hired a more modest one for Silvestri's concert.

Anyway, they're going to change the scenario and most of the festival will take place in a commercial area in the surroundings of Madrid, which isn't actually very close, but with all those activities I don't think you need to go back to the center of Madrid (except in the night for sleeping and in saturday for Silvestri's concert).

Thank you very much... :)

I have been looking for an easy and not too expensive connection and ...I cannot find it. ;) The best one I found so far is to travel to Frankfurt on Wednesday evening and then fly to Granada early in the morning (and then by bus to Ubeda). Quite effortful. :blink: Anyway, i don't give up yet.

The orchestra was MUCH better in Trevor Jones' concert (it was actually the best orchestra in Spain), but they're going to be abroad this time so they've hired a more modest one for Silvestri's concert.

You seem to be wrong. The concert program on the Socinemad website says Silvestri will perform with the RTVE orchestra and choir, the very same who performed with Trevor Jones last year. Anyway, I don't know if anything changed in the last few days.

Last year I went to Madrid to attend the Soncinemad Festival and I have to say I had a great time. Of course there were some quibbles about logistic and organizational aspects (it was the first time these people organized such an event, so I'd gave them all my comprehension), but overall it was a very pleasant experience, with a very relaxed and cheerful atmosphere throughout all the three days. People could meet their favourite composers, chat with them and have their CD signed.

I plan to go again to Madrid this year as well. I'd love to go to Ubeda as well, but money and time problems prevent me to attend both festivals. I still can't understand why there are two different film music festivals in the same country and at the same time of the year, well just two weeks apart from each other... couldn't be better to join forces and money and produce one, big, mega festival?

I'm not wrong, Maurizio. It states clearly the following:

Orquesta Filarmonía y coro de RTVE

Which means: the Orchestra Filarmonia (not the RTVE Symphony Orchestra) and the RTVE Choir. The Choir is the same (even bigger if they add the male voices), but the orchestra is different.

And they were 2 days last year. This time they'll be 3 days, much better ;)

I didn't mean to undermine the Soncinemad festival in any way (just answering what they asked me), and I'm quite certain they'll improve a lot this time. Because I couldn't chat with Zimmer or Gregson-Williams or Trevor Jones, neither get my CDs signed (they just didn't turn up). But in Soncinemad 2007 everything seems to be well prepaired for a nice CD-signing session and a more close contact between the composers and the fans.

I'm not wrong, Maurizio. It states clearly the following:

Orquesta Filarmonía y coro de RTVE

Which means: the Orchestra Filarmonia (not the RTVE Symphony Orchestra) and the RTVE Choir. The Choir is the same (even bigger if they add the male voices), but the orchestra is different.

And they were 2 days last year. This time they'll be 3 days, much better ;)

Oops, you're right. :blink: Really, I didn't noticed that.

I understand very well you're not dissing Soncinemad, Peio. We all film music fans love to gather and be part of events like these. I'm just sorry I can't attend both festivals. I don't know even if I can make to Madrid, I'm short of money in this period... :)

Anyway, they're going to change the scenario and most of the festival will take place in a commercial area in the surroundings of Madrid, which isn't actually very close, but with all those activities I don't think you need to go back to the center of Madrid (except in the night for sleeping and in saturday for Silvestri's concert).

Well, I've just checked at this and it seems the "Ciudad de la Imagen" (where all the conferences and one of the concerts will take place) is quite far the center of Madrid and it isn't very well served by public transportation (the only way to get there is by car or by bus). Too bad, as I was planning on doing some Madrid sightseeing and movida this year too... ;)

Yeah, me too ;) Madrid is at stake in my case, but hopefully I'll be able to go to both. If so, I think we should have a meeting between all the jwfaners.

We should at least all of us get together at Úbeda.

In Spain? In July?

We might have to reconsider that one...

Well, I do use turtlenecks all year long...

Miguel, who like black turtlenecks, have in fact a large collection of them, started even before he knew Williams also liked them too...

Under the expected circumstances, I could probably swim out of one of those after about an hour or two.

:D

Well, I see your point, but I do use them for most of the year, though I agree that I might take something ligher to Úbeda...

0/ Do you remember the approximate amount of the taxi fare, Stefan?

I have been checking plane, train and bus schedules.

Going from Malaga Linares supposes either arriving the day before, or spending a night in Linares, since the first train leaves at 7:15 (the time of the first flight from Paris), and the second and only train arrives in Linares at 0:18.

From Madrid to Linares, there are two trains only as well; same problem in the morning (I must arrive the day before); the second one is scheduled to arrive at 19:52; the train would have to be on time, and no more than 20 minutes away from the bus station, as the last bus leaves at 20:25.

The bus fare is about 2 euros; I doubt a taxi would be that cheap.

1/ What about the hotels? I don't see any information on the site.

2/ And eating? This may seem silly, but is anything included? When I attend literature conferences, a dinner option is included. Is anything organized you may opt for? Is it only explained once you have registered?

3/ (1+2): browsing through a reservation site, I was stunned to see that: a/ you did not seem to have a choice breakfast-wise: one day it's possible, the next it is not; b/ I have seen such differences between breakfast & no breakfast as 57 euros !

I have been checking plane, train and bus schedules.

Not really, something like 20 Euro's perhaps?

1/ What about the hotels? I don't see any information on the site.

I stayed in a Hostel that my friend Rubén booked for us. 23 Euro's a night for a single room. Only a few minutes walk from the Conference.

2/ And eating? This may seem silly, but is anything included? When I attend literature conferences, a dinner option is included. Is anything organized you may opt for? Is it only explained once you have registered?

Last year no dinner option was included I think, though I missed the first night but perhaps Peio got a meal :D

There are plenty of diners and restaurants in Ubeda, so it was never a problem.

3/ (1+2): browsing through a reservation site, I was stunned to see that: a/ you did not seem to have a choice breakfast-wise: one day it's possible, the next it is not; b/ I have seen such differences between breakfast & no breakfast as 57 euros !

Last year I has no breakfasts included, but there was a little diner near there, so that was never a problem.

Hotel food is often crap anyways.

Stefan Cosman- who this year might try toast with olive oil for breakfast. ;)

In Spain? In July?

Miguel, who like black turtlenecks, have in fact a large collection of them, started even before he knew Williams also liked them too...

That adds to my stupid theory that you've subconciously modelled your life after JW.

Last year no dinner option was included I think, though I missed the first night but perhaps Peio got a meal :)

I didn't. :( Things in regards to food are going to change this year, I think (agreements with certain bars or restaurants). Who knows. We'll see...

I stayed in a Hostel that my friend Rubén booked for us. 23 Euro's a night for a single room. Only a few minutes walk from the Conference.

Do you remeber what was the name of the place, or do you know it's possible to make reservation via Internet? I have been looking of a room, but what I have spoted so far is extremely expensive.

In Spain? In July?

That adds to my stupid theory that you've subconciously modelled your life after JW.

In regard to you theory, you really should talk with Merkel...

I think one of the more important questions about Úbeda hasn't been asked yet:

Is there a proper bookstore that will sell foreign-language novels? I'm thinking of a certain English children's novel that comes out that week...

Stefan:

Not really, something like 20 Euro's perhaps?
Do you remeber what was the name of the place, or do you know it's possible to make reservation via Internet?

Stefan:

I'm sorry I really cannot recall.

The answer:

Another reason to return to Spain is the high quality of the apple cider in that country.

Don't worry , it happens to me also , all the time!

I spoke with my friend Dani (members coordinator) and he told me they sent you the e-mail with the passwords last week, but it must have got lost, so he's just sent it to you again.

As for reservations, once you get the password, you can enter the users area in the website (congreso.bsospirit.com), and make a reservation in any of the hotels (there is only 1 for the moment, but more hotels will be added to the list in the following weeks).

I have not received a password yet either. I received a conformation of my pre-registration (almost two weeks after doing so), which also made note of another e-mail that would be sent with username and password. I have still to see that second e-mail, and I really would like to book my flight once I've got my festival tickets.

Incidentally, the input fields for username and password are also missing from the English version of the website. ;)

Not only in the English version... also in the Spanish one. ;) It worked fine 2 weeks ago... dammit.

I'll ask Dani about your password, Marc. Stefan's right, they don't send any tickets.

I can get in the members earea using my username and password from last year.

Marc, if it's like last year, you goto a office in the Church building were you will get your ticket and some other stuff (in my case, a DVD and some Olive Oil)

I would however advise you to hook up with Peio or some other Spanish member before you to this, because you might encounter a person who does not speak English (or Dutch)

BTW, Dani is a girls name...

The hell? I checked five minutes ago and it was there. ;)

I've also just sent an e-mail myself, but I suppose it never hurts to have someone else do some stirring around for me. :rolleyes:

And the main thing is that I want to get my registration wrapped up first, and then book my flight asap.